• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns on boats

12+ miles is international waters.

This again? If your boat is registered in the USA, you still need to adhere to US laws.

Once a ship is 24 miles from any coastline, it's on the high seas (or international waters). With the exception of certain rights within the contiguous zone, the law of that ship is the law of the country whose flag it's flying

I have been on a boat fishing off the cape and we were boarded by the USCG for safety inspection not once did the ask about firearms. We also didn’t mention anything about having firearms either
I have no idea how the USCG can board a ship without probable cause. Is that why they call it a safety inspection?

I have no idea how the USCG can board a ship without probable cause. Is that why they call it a safety inspection?

You can get a degree in it. Maritime Law.

Maritime Law

Congress may implement the admiralty and maritime jurisdiction conferred upon the federal courts by revising and amending the maritime law that existed at the time the Constitution was adopted, but in so doing, it cannot go beyond the reach of that jurisdiction.1889 This power cannot be delegated to the states; hence, acts of Congress that purported to make state workers’ compensation laws applicable to maritime cases were held unconstitutional.1890

You can get a degree in it. Maritime Law.

Maritime Law

Congress may implement the admiralty and maritime jurisdiction conferred upon the federal courts by revising and amending the maritime law that existed at the time the Constitution was adopted, but in so doing, it cannot go beyond the reach of that jurisdiction.1889 This power cannot be delegated to the states; hence, acts of Congress that purported to make state workers’ compensation laws applicable to maritime cases were held unconstitutional.1890
So where in the US constitution is this power enumerated?? I am not picking fights, but truly would like to know the origins of these police powers.

So where in the US constitution is this power enumerated?? I am not picking fights, but truly would like to know the origins of these police powers.
"Because safety", as I said.

Courts let them, by creating exceptions. Just like Terry v. Ohio created an exception to 4A allowing warrantless searches, the Coasties have their own history. It goes back to being revenue collectors, ignoring their modern iteration as domestic police.

"Because safety", as I said.

Courts let them, by creating exceptions. Just like Terry v. Ohio created an exception to 4A allowing warrantless searches, the Coasties have their own history. It goes back to being revenue collectors, ignoring their modern iteration as domestic police.

Sounds like the courts rewriting law

I don't agree with it but here's your answer.
Title 14 USC § 89 states in part: “(a) The Coast Guard may make inquiries, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests upon the high seas and waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws of the United States. For such purposes, commissioned, warrant, and petty officers may at any time go on board of any vessel subject to the jurisdiction, or to the operation of any law, of the United States, address inquiries to those on board, examine the ship’s documents and papers, and examine, inspect, and search the vessel and use all necessary force to compel compliance...”

But the best part of that statute, widely used by Bush Sr. to seize vessels:

"if it shall appear that a breach of the laws of the United States has been committed so as to render such vessel, or the merchandise, or any part thereof, on board of, or brought into the United States by, such vessel, liable to forfeiture, or so as to render such vessel liable to a fine or penalty and if necessary to secure such fine or penalty, such vessel or such merchandise, or both, shall be seized "

Many boats back then were seized permenantely for even one joint onboard. 'Zero Tolerance' was the name of the mission I believe. To this day I ask everyone coming aboard if they are carrying drugs even tho I dont think they enforce this like they used to, but I'm not taking any chances.

I watched a boarding recently, 2 serious Coasties boarded the boat while 2 more serious Coasties stood at the ready on the CG boat with what looked like AR's. They didn't look they were playing lightly. After 20 min or so, they left. I assume mod, dad, and the 2 kiddies were not smuggling oxy's or the like.

Title 14 USC § 89 states in part: “(a) The Coast Guard may make inquiries, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests upon the high seas and waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws of the United States. For such purposes, commissioned, warrant, and petty officers may at any time go on board of any vessel subject to the jurisdiction, or to the operation of any law, of the United States, address inquiries to those on board, examine the ship’s documents and papers, and examine, inspect, and search the vessel and use all necessary force to compel compliance...”

Wow. So USCG can do what ever they want.

Maybe I will get a motorcycle instead

Now ask yourself: What are "waters over which the United States has jurisdiction"?

All of them. That damp spot in your back yard, if rain ever flows downhill and into any tributary leading to navigable waters, is part of Waters Of The United States.

Here's the April 21, 2020, final rule (after Trump rolled back Obama's rules!):

Now ask yourself: What are "waters over which the United States has jurisdiction"?

All of them. That damp spot in your back yard, if rain ever flows downhill and into any tributary leading to navigable waters, is part of Waters Of The United States.

Perfect conditions for the white fleet....
Just kidding....

"Because safety"
I think it's actually "Because taxes". Coast Guard came into being as part of the Dept. of Revenue, their boats being called "Revenue cutters". Smuggling and stuff.

Twas the Life Saving Service that originally came to save your bacon when Mother Ocean was having her way with you. The_Start_of_the_life-boat_c_1900_Cape_Cod.jpg

USCG and EPA do not agree on the definition of “waters ...” (shocker, eh?) ...

contains the USCG definitions.

R

If you have to shoot, be careful where the shot hits. One time son in AK had beached his boat and got ready to hit the sack in the cabin for the nite when he heard a scuffle on the deck. He grabbed his .338 and went to take a look. A very small black bear had come on board and was eating out of the bait bucket. The bear was in line with his 150hp Yamaha. He told the bear to get lost, but no luck. So he kicked it in the ass and it jumped off the boat. Know what's behind your target.
Sounds to me more like "know your target's behind", Jack.

BTW, have you seen this senseless aggression against a bear minding its own business?

46tbz0.jpg

Internationally recognized distress signal:
“Gun fired at intervals of one minute”
washny-21-july-0271.jpg

I remember years ago my dad and I were striper fishing and the CG came over to do a "safety check". Well in the process of steaming over to our boat, they ran over both of our fishing lines that we had out (we were drift fishing). Needless to say we lost a bunch of line and the hooks/bait. My dad was furious but bit his tongue.
Be a shame if you'd been trailing a couple hundred yards of kevlar...

A guy I use to work with,told me a story that when he
was young they use to go out fishing,and lay down on
the deck of the boat,and shoot up at the seagulls.
Well, the seagulls were doing the same exact thing, only vice versa.

ETA:
not with the coast guard on a boat. They can come aboard and pretty much do what they want
I'll let them come aboard,
but I ain't promising to keep her steady.
1430408905694-aef22frvsw34bo6r-fc3c07508adfa670e4f2cf244a0489f7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom