• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns on boats

LRI

Not sure if anyone has any experiance with this. Just trying to nail down some specifics. Going to be doing some boating this year and trying to find out where we stand on ccw on a motor boat. Is it the same as carrying on your person in a car or truck or do the waters get muddied by the epo / hunting regs. Mostly going to be doing some striper fishing up and down the merrimac and around boston and the occasional family trip to the Cape.

Short and sweet : can I legally ccw while fishing and boating

Thanks in advance,
LRI

I know it’s not smart to open carry in MA, but what about on your own boat?? Anybody do this or have experience dealing with all the different Maritime Authorities?

If you have to shoot, be careful where the shot hits. One time son in AK had beached his boat and got ready to hit the sack in the cabin for the nite when he heard a scuffle on the deck. He grabbed his .338 and went to take a look. A very small black bear had come on board and was eating out of the bait bucket. The bear was in line with his 150hp Yamaha. He told the bear to get lost, but no luck. So he kicked it in the ass and it jumped off the boat. Know what's behind your target. Jack.

Yes you can carry...but...be prepared to be held up for a while if you are boarded for a "safety equipment check". Happened to me a couple years ago out fishing near Elizabeth Islands. They run the serial number of gun.

Yes you can carry...but...be prepared to be held up for a while if you are boarded for a "safety equipment check". Happened to me a couple years ago out fishing near Elizabeth Islands. They run the serial number of gun.
I have been on a boat fishing off the cape and we were boarded by the USCG for safety inspection not once did the ask about firearms. We also didn’t mention anything about having firearms either

I have been on a boat fishing off the cape and we were boarded by the USCG for safety inspection not once did the ask about firearms. We also didn’t mention anything about having firearms either
When they were 20 ft from my boat they asked if there were any firearms on board....I said yes...so I guess good for you.

Interesting...do u have any 4th amendment rights if u get boarded???

Funny you think they would ask but they didn’t I would think they have a standard procedure for boarding.
Funny you think they would ask but they didn’t I would think they have a standard procedure for boarding.
Got it... But this is why I don't post much. I gave information to what happened to me. Not to get snarkey Sparkey but I spent 20 odd years Merchant Marine not Coast Guard and the six months when I was not out sea I was fishing. I have seen a bunch. I guess I could get into saying I have wrung out more saltwater water out of my socks than you will ever float in to bust balls but I won't... There is another thread here on the topic...

Got it... But this is why I don't post much. I gave information to what happened to me. Not to get snarkey Sparkey but I spent 20 odd years Merchant Marine not Coast Guard and the six months when I was not out sea I was fishing. I have seen a bunch. I guess I could get into saying I have wrung out more saltwater water out of my socks than you will ever float in to bust balls but I won't... There is another thread here on the topic...
Sure just posting my experience the one time we got boarded

There might be a cruising sailboat in the US that does not have a rifle or shotgun on board.

Don’t know of any, personally, but there might be.

LMAO... have you ever met the Coast Guard?
I remember years ago my dad and I were striper fishing and the CG came over to do a "safety check". Well in the process of steaming over to our boat, they ran over both of our fishing lines that we had out (we were drift fishing). Needless to say we lost a bunch of line and the hooks/bait. My dad was furious but bit his tongue.

I know plenty of fisherman that keep guns on their boats to shoot sharks. I remember one of my dad's friends hooking up to a massive thresher shark years ago and he was shooting it with a revolver...

Argh matey......carry a reliable gun. You're on a boat, you want to be able to count on something working right.

"Pirates never said Argh Uncle John."

When I said "Argh" to my nephew he rolled his eyes and said that too me. 🤣

I see the utility of guns and boats, becareful though...accidents happen...pick a big lake..

A guy I use to work with,told me a story that when he
was young they use to go out fishing,and lay down on
the deck of the boat,and shoot up at the seagulls.

We were boarded by ICE in Alabama and asked if we had weapons aboard.

“Yes we have weapons.”

They only checked ID’s and asked where we were going.

They were surprised to hear, “Massachusetts.“

Back
Top Bottom