• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Guns...not my thing. I'm not a huge fan of that amendment."

I posted on one of my blogs that I just picked up my gun license, and how it was restricted. Here are some of the comments I received:

Person 1
What would you be restricted on besides hunting and target? The only thing I can think of is conceal and carry. I guess restricted from shooting old people or babies or something. right? Congratulations on the license though!
(then I explained MA laws, and got this in response:)
Person 1
WOW, I didn't realize states had such different gun laws like that. I'm use to Ohio's. You can walk into a butts and barrels, cute name, and get a .45 cal pistol, six pack of beer, bullets and beef jerky. Its about a 5 minute waiting period. 100 bucks for the conceal and carry course and then your good to go.

And the "best"...
Person 2
Be thankful you're not in Salem if you want a gun, then. The PD there won't issue licenses at all unless you get the courts involved. Doesn't phase me any, but it's one of those pieces of trivia one picks up.
(then I explained green towns, red towns and black towns)
Person 2
It just doesn't phase me as much because I'm not a huge fan of that amendment. Guns can be useful tools, but... not my thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, well that person better hope someone is into them, otherwise the rest of the amendments will fall by the wayside.

[rolleyes] The fifth ammendment's not really my thing. I actually kind of like being forced to incriminate myself

Guns don't have to be their "thing." I know a lot of people who don't want to carry or own any, but don't mind them.

From the same person who says guns aren't her thing:
Obama Day! Wednesday, November 05, 2008
I'm proud of my country, of my state. I'm less-proud of some other states (really, California/Arkansas/Arizona/Florida??) but overall this is a hopeful morning for me.
I suppose it's possible to be pro-Obama and pro-gun, I just don't see that happening too often. Especially when you're "not a fan of that amendment".

Yea, that isn't so bad. At least they didn't try to say that it can't be your thing because it isn't theirs.

Yea, that isn't so bad. At least they didn't try to say that it can't be your thing because it isn't theirs.

Exactly. If someone saying that amendment just wasn't their thing was the worst thing we had to deal with, then we'd be able to pick up a thompson at the general store.

Silence!!!!! All of you!!!! I am not a fan of the First Amendment and as such I want you all to clam up!

As Ackmed, the dead terrorist would say, "Silence, I keel you!"

Ok, so that does it for the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th Amendments. Who is next to speak?

<grin>

I can't make someone care about guns. Hell, I'm no fan of religion for the most part, to be honest. I think organized religion has been used to do so much harm in the world.

That said, I fully support anyone's religion of choice, so long as they don't try and tell me how I should live. I expect other people to have the same opinion with my stand on guns - they may not care about the issue personally, but don't go trying to restrict my choice.

Just my bullshit opinion. I'm usually wrong, though, so take it all with less than a grain of salt.

I can't make someone care about guns. Hell, I'm no fan of religion for the most part, to be honest. I think organized religion has been used to do so much harm in the world.

That said, I fully support anyone's religion of choice, so long as they don't try and tell me how I should live. I expect other people to have the same opinion with my stand on guns - they may not care about the issue personally, but don't go trying to restrict my choice.

Just my bullshit opinion. I'm usually wrong, though, so take it all with less than a grain of salt.

Grin, I agree...wholeheartedly. But wait until "Sharia Law" becomes the norm in your area. You may then have a different opinion. Think I'm kidding? Take a look around the world. [grin]

I suppose it's possible to be pro-Obama and pro-gun, I just don't see that happening too often. Especially when you're "not a fan of that amendment".

Pro-Gunners for Obama is in my opinion oxymoron to me. They can say ALL they want but I go by a person's history and NOT what they tell me, especially at election time, and goes 100000000000000000% more for Presidential elections.

Also, whats your blog address?

Last edited:
This is not directed at you as individual.

First, more than half of the people I know who carry or want to carry are Liberals, vote Democratic, and about a third of them campaigned for Obama.

Second, I've noticed it's really quite difficult for some Republicans to grasp the concept that GUNS aren't the most important things on many Democrats' list of priorities. There are more issues than just the Second Amendment.

Third, some Republicans do just about everything possible they can do to alienate Democrats who want to shoot from getting into it. It's pretty disheartening when I tell people to come here, and then they end up declining once they see what the gun community thinks of them.

I think it's awful how many people in the gun community lump all Democrats and Liberals into the same boat, and thus scare those that are on our side away. What kind of message does that send about gun owners?

It's soooo nice being a Libertarian. I never feel the urge to tell others they're wrong. [laugh]

Interesting! If someone wants to shoot...or learn to shoot...and approaches you....are you going to ask what their "political bent" is? Are you going to offer to help them with instruction and get them pointed towards a club? Will you offer to give them personal instruction...to the best of your ability?

Don't really care how much of a Libertarian you are....are you willing to help and/or train folks who approach you with interest? [wink]

Dems? Liberals? Repubs.? Conservatives? What difference does it make if a person really wants to learn? Its an individual thing

Question...why are you not a fan of that amendment? Please don't be bashful about your thoughts....would really like to know. [grin]

Pro-Gunners for Obama is an oxymoron to me. They can say ALL they want but I go by a person's history and NOT what they tell me, especially at election time, and goes 100000000000000000% more for Presidential elections.

Yes, because when I vote for someone, I'm saying I agree with every single issue they represent. [rolleyes]

Not until after I've already started helping them. Unfortunately, there is a political aspect to being a gun owner, regardless of whether you want there to be or not. I doubt the NRA-ILA would exist without the Brady Bunch.

Sorry, have to disagree on that one point. The NRA existed long before "Brady". Training, marksmanship, education, competition, instructor training, and safety instruction existed within the NRA long before "Brady". [wink]

Guns don't have to be their "thing." I know a lot of people who don't want to carry or own any, but don't mind them.

my fiancee is of this mindset, sort of. Its more of a "its not my thing, but its your right and your interest, and I wont interfere with that"

she doesnt like EBRs. I found the way to make shotguns ok was to buy an EBR and show her!

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the NRA-ILA the NRA's response to all of the legislative crap being spewed by gun control advocates?

See, I know the NRA existed whether gun control existed or not, but I was told the NRA had to go political because other the Brady Bunch and Co. would go unchallenged.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does. As stated earlier, NRA existed to provide marksmanship, instruction, competition, hunting tips, stats, ratings, etc. In other words, overall marksmanship, hunting, training, competition and safety.

Brady changed that and the NRA responded. Thankfully. There has always been, and will always be, "anti-gun" folks. Simply the makeup. Some folks have no clue about "self defense" ...in any form....doesn't matter with firearm, knife or hands. They just simply cannot relate and would rather "talk". Can't explain the mindset, just the way it is. I believe this is the group and "mindset" the anti-gunners come from.

The big difference is....their view is trying to be FORCED on ALL of us. Big difference. [wink]

Some folks have no clue about "self defense" ...in any form....doesn't matter with firearm, knife or hands. They just simply cannot relate and would rather "talk". Can't explain the mindset, just the way it is. I believe this is the group and "mindset" the anti-gunners come from.

In the wild, most species that feel that way about their own survival usually vanish due to natural selection.

THE REAL HISTORY OF CONSERVATIVES VS. LIBERALS

History began some 12,000 years ago. Humans existed as members of small bands of nomadic hunter/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer & would go to the coast & live on fish & lobster in winter. The 2 most important events in all of history were the invention of beer & the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization & together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into 2 distinct subgroups: Liberals & Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered it required grain & that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so while our early human ancestors were sitting around waiting for them to be invented, they just stayed close to the brewery. That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking & killing animals to BBQ at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as "The Conservative movement." Other men who were weaker & less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly B-B-Q's & doing the sewing, fetching & hair dressing. This was the beginning of the Liberal movement. Some of these liberal men sometimes think and act like they are women. The rest became known as 'girleymen.'

Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy & group hugs & the concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide the meat & beer that conservatives provided. Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the jackass.

Modern liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu, & French food are standard liberal foods. Another interesting revolutionary side note: most of their women have higher testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood & group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented the designated hitter rule because it wasn't "fair" to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink domestic beer. They eat red meat & still provide for their women. Conservatives are big-game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police officers, corporate executives, soldiers, athletes & generally anyone who works productively outside government. Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living. Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to "govern" the producers & decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America. They crept in after the Wild West was tame & created a business of trying to get MORE for nothing.

Last edited:
That's like if I said "Ehh, religion, not my thing, I'm not a huge fan of that amendment."

And frankly, I'm not religious, never will be religious and don't give a rat's ass about religion. But I'm not ignorant and stupid and shortsighted enough to support repeal of freedom of religion just because "its not my thing"

In the wild, most species that feel that way about their own survival usually vanish due to natural selection.

THE REAL HISTORY OF CONSERVATIVES VS. LIBERALS

History began some 12,000 years ago. Humans existed as members of small bands of nomadic hunter/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer & would go to the coast & live on fish & lobster in winter. The 2 most important events in all of history were the invention of beer & the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization & together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into 2 distinct subgroups: Liberals & Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered it required grain & that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so while our early human ancestors were sitting around waiting for them to be invented, they just stayed close to the brewery. That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking & killing animals to BBQ at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as "The Conservative movement." Other men who were weaker & less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly B-B-Q's & doing the sewing, fetching & hair dressing. This was the beginning of the Liberal movement. Some of these liberal men sometimes think and act like they are women. The rest became known as 'girleymen.'

Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy & group hugs & the concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide the meat & beer that conservatives provided. Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the jackass.

Modern liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu, & French food are standard liberal foods. Another interesting revolutionary side note: most of their women have higher testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood & group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented the designated hitter rule because it wasn't "fair" to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink domestic beer. They eat red meat & still provide for their women. Conservatives are big-game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police officers, corporate executives, soldiers, athletes & generally anyone who works productively outside government. Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living. Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to "govern" the producers & decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America. They crept in after the Wild West was tame & created a business of trying to get MORE for nothing.

BBQ.Uncle: You put into words what I've always known by instinct, and very well said to cap it. My hat is off to you for your insight....and eloquence. Damn good job of stating facts!

Ray-500, thank you. I'll take credit for my beliefs about natural selection, but I can't take credit for the "history lesson". It's been around for awhile and I believe the author is unknown. Still, it's a damn fine little essay, if tongue in cheek, about the basic differences between those two groups.

Back
Top Bottom