• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns in t.v.'s "Falling Skies" tonight.

Last edited:
[rofl] thats funny, I actually said to the TV " its a magazine not a clip" and was suprized to hear the same repeated....

Acton is probably a good place to go, Im sure EC has some "anti critter" loads for his .500!

HA! I keep telling my wife the TV will eventually hear me! You just proved my point. Thanks man!!!

Remember, take out a couple of the legs before the head shot. Though, that seems like a good waste of ammo. I mean...if you can make the head shot, then there is no need for the extra rounds for the legs.

It makes me wonder how you'd take out the stompers though. Would the fall pray to the AT-AT type trick of high strength trip lines. I'm guessing IEDs would be pretty affective too.

Sorry, I watched it on my DVR and only got about 2/3rds of the way through before I chucked it and burned the recording. Too much like a soap opera which is the same opinion I had about that other end-of-the-world series I started. So many qustions unanswered no the least of which was the obtaining of full-auto fire weapons.

As for Spielberg "liking" firearms, I happen to know that he has a collection of firearms. That info was disclosed to me a while back when I was asked to do a project for an organization to be presented to him a while back. I was asked to build a presentation box for a special S&W revolver that never materialized.

Rome
Rome

Did anyone else hear the 'that's a magazine, not a clip' line? Wow, maybe someone in Hollywood has been listening. Or was that meant to be sarcasm.

Ya the father (Noah Willey) asked the son "hollow nose bullets" and the son corrected him to "hollow point bullets" then the son asked for a clip and the father said "Magazine"

Overall OK show, I like some of the stars, I really like Moon Bloodgood (the doctor), MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

When the kid asked for a "clip" and the father corrected him and said "mag" I all but fell over!

Since when has Hollywood cared about firearms accuracy??

So, I'm sitting here watching this scrappy human survivors vs. aliens show, and all I can think of is, where did they get all these full auto AK's and AR's with folding stocks and the like, if this show is supposed to be set in Massachusetts? Now that's science fiction!

Steve

Gun show loophole!

Remember, take out a couple of the legs before the head shot. Though, that seems like a good waste of ammo. I mean...if you can make the head shot, then there is no need for the extra rounds for the legs.

It makes me wonder how you'd take out the stompers though. Would the fall pray to the AT-AT type trick of high strength trip lines. I'm guessing IEDs would be pretty affective too.

Pelvic girdle shots.

I give the show a B+. They always do the low budget shows with the fight scenes at night--they can really cut back on CGI rendering cost.

I was watching this show with my daughter (11) and she asked me "Where did they find all of those guns in hippy Newton?" I had to smile.

The show's not bad for campy scifi....

Last edited:
The reason that they have the FA stuff is that they're the 2nd Massachusetts.....they're the military, so that's cool.

Now....why in the name of H.G. Wells is every person NOT armed with something? Seriously, the only guns are some ex-military stuff ( cal .50 mg), some full auto small arms ( where did the AK-type stuff come from) and that's about it.

The kids should have .22s, and there should be some Fudd guns. OK...not too good against ET, but against unfriendly humans.....Hell...everyone should have a knife, at least.

That being said, it has not p!ssed me off yet. It's more of a relationship drama agaisn the backdrop of the invasion, but it's better than sitcoms.

And I will say that Wylie is a good fit for this role - 1/2 ass-kicker, 1/2 historian. If you've never seen "The Librarian" movies, they're kinda funny, in the same way.

The reason that they have the FA stuff is that they're the 2nd Massachusetts.....they're the military, so that's cool.

Now....why in the name of H.G. Wells is every person NOT armed with something? Seriously, the only guns are some ex-military stuff ( cal .50 mg), some full auto small arms ( where did the AK-type stuff come from) and that's about it.

The kids should have .22s, and there should be some Fudd guns. OK...not too good against ET, but against unfriendly humans.....Hell...everyone should have a knife, at least.

That being said, it has not p!ssed me off yet. It's more of a relationship drama agaisn the backdrop of the invasion, but it's better than sitcoms.

And I will say that Wylie is a good fit for this role - 1/2 ass-kicker, 1/2 historian. If you've never seen "The Librarian" movies, they're kinda funny, in the same way.

Because they are a group of about 300 people, one hundred fighters and 200 civilians. The civilians do combat service support functions which is actually a lesser ratio of support to fighters in the actual Army. As for Fudd guns? I'll take a .338 Winchester Mag bolt gun up against any skitter. Hell, a Nagant for that matter, worked good against Nazi soldiers. This FUDD stuff is gettin' old...bolt guns, lever guns and shotguns are REAL guns too. [wink]

Ya know when I was at the Porsche Shoot on Sat I saw a few malfunctions on the line, the ones I saw malfunctioning were the AR types and other semi-autos, not bolt or lever guns.

In terms of tactics, the reason you gotta shoot 'em in the legs is so that you can get close in to make that head shot, much easier to get an anchor shot before the coup de grace. It's really an old tactic [grin]

Guess I'm gettin' into this show more than I thought....hmm [tinfoil]

Last edited:
I was using "Fudd" as a shorthand term, not a slam.

I have Fudd guns, and am not ashamed of them. I was thinking that a Springfield with AP would put a hurtin' on the bad guys quite well.

My point was that almost all of the stuff was "military"...does this mean that the civillians are all "non-combatant" and will be treated as such by E.T.? Are they not permitted to be armed? There should be at least SOME doubles and O/Us, and other "less extreme" guns about. Massachusetts or not, with all the empty houses around, there should be some stuff that was being pressed into service. The ratio of "Front-line" to "Rear Area / support" personnel is definitely better than in a "conventional" army, but they're literally all together....everyone able to have a gun or knife or board with a nail should have one.

E.T. don't play favorites.....

I was using "Fudd" as a shorthand term, not a slam.

I have Fudd guns, and am not ashamed of them. I was thinking that a Springfield with AP would put a hurtin' on the bad guys quite well.

My point was that almost all of the stuff was "military"...does this mean that the civillians are all "non-combatant" and will be treated as such by E.T.? Are they not permitted to be armed? There should be at least SOME doubles and O/Us, and other "less extreme" guns about. Massachusetts or not, with all the empty houses around, there should be some stuff that was being pressed into service. The ratio of "Front-line" to "Rear Area / support" personnel is definitely better than in a "conventional" army, but they're literally all together....everyone able to have a gun or knife or board with a nail should have one.

E.T. don't play favorites.....

A Springfield with AP would be sweet....you do raise a good point about there needing to be some doubles and O/Us. I figure that a lot of the rank and file fighters are in reality the surviving members of NES and would have the ordnance at hand, there was also a line about how they got a lot of weapons from the military and the police, figure if they hit the BPD Evidence Locker there should be a few goodies there, same for MSP, and that the civilians are the typical Mass Sheeples who couldn't be trusted with a butter knife...naturally the producers wouldn't be wanting to pay Derek for the name...but anyway that is my backstory theory...and ya gotta admit one of the extras does look a lot like Fintoid [grin]

Last edited:
At the begining, there was a blurb to a different group to follow US 3 NW to Revere. I had to rewind a few times to make sure I heard it right. Couldn't they at least learn the geography and major roads? [rolleyes]

The wife loves those "Librarian Movies", shes mad that they havn't made more.
To tell the truth, I like the "Librarian Movies" also [wink]

I did a double take when they mentioned Watertown and Newton. I had no idea the show was going to be based in Mass. It's ehh though and will last a season, maybe two, until it is scrapped like almost all other new shows are [rolleyes]

At the begining, there was a blurb to a different group to follow US 3 NW to Revere. I had to rewind a few times to make sure I heard it right. Couldn't they at least learn the geography and major roads? [rolleyes]

Especially from Dale Dye. He's retired USMC and has consulted on many movies. Threw me for a loop too. The first group was heading north to Marblehead. They would be traveling through Revere to get there!

I just watched the show last night off the DVR...mostly so I can zip through the Commercials. Which seem to happen ever couple of minutes.

I have to say, it is a lot like the Walking Dead, but it does focus more on the relationships of the people over the Aliens. I thought that the first hour was slow...but that's how it works...get to know the people...get you hooked on how they are...then bring in the drama to make you sit on the edge of your seat.

The second hour moved much more quickly. If they can keep up the plot, not leak the show to the internet then I think that it will do well. It's a lot of Jericho and TWD mixed into one show. I'm digging it so far...and look forward to watching Ep 2 next week.

I'm not getting too hung up on Geography and Firearms Accuracy as it's a TV SHOW! It's not real...the fact that they have been better than most all other shows is impressive to me. I'll keep watching it as it seems that next week is going to be intense with action.

I was wondering that while watching as well... At the point that "Mommies and Daddies" are fighting, if you aren't on a stretcher, you are are fighting... Ah well, it's just TV. Warmed my heart to see all that hardware in Canada...

I kind of like the idea of shooting them in the legs (Dead Space anyone?), but I thought it was silly that the skitter didn't seem to feel the AK rounds hitting it in the face. At the very least that should have slowed it down. I wish the aliens in this were like the ones in Battle: Los Angeles where they could certainly take a lot of hits, but if you hit them in the right place then they would die.

Seeing as close range seems to be the deal I would think a 12 guage slug gun with 3" deer slugs would do a whole lot of damage to one of the skidders heads pretty quickly..

I'm from Revere...and remember saying to myself "route 3 isn't anywhere near here at all"

I assume they all started out in Boston, and decided to give up the city as I heard them mention the "back bay" had been lost. So they split up from Boston to apparently head up rt 3 to Revere. Problem is rt 3 goes from memorial drive, through cambride, and up through winchester tp Burlington. Wrong direction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom