• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns for survival

pistol: ruger sp101. A revolver is as reliable as it gets and I'm pretty sure that if I shoot a bear 15 times and hit it 5 times one of them will put it down.

And what will the bear be doing while you're doing all this reloading?

I don't understand people who tell me they'd tcarry a 22 LR into a crisis. A shotgun will do the same, but you'll be able to deal with threats of any size as well. As far as rifles go, a .308 is, IMO, the best suited for SHTF. I'd say an accurate AR 10 and a 12 gauge with a variety of slugs/buck/birdshot would be your best bet.

I would say what ever firearm you have, get used to shooting it in the rain.
[smile]
And the snow.

And on really hot days.

I love rainy days, I normally get the outdoor ranges all to myself.

I think I would lean more toward a .22 rifle than a shotgun. Being a crappy wingshooter, I know it sucks to carry even two boxes of 12 gauge all day. If shtf, I will absolutely take pot shots at birds on the ground or in the water. And I would have the ar and a pistol for defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say what ever firearm you have, get used to shooting it in the rain.
[smile]
And the snow.

And on really hot days.

I love rainy days, I normally get the outdoor ranges all to myself.

My daughter looked at me like I had 2 heads when we shot outside in 10 degree weather. The whole range was empty, and it sucked slogging out to hang targets.

My daughter looked at me like I had 2 heads when we shot outside in 10 degree weather. The whole range was empty, and it sucked slogging out to hang targets.

I will say that I do draw the line at the target stands being burried by snow, but otherwise, get out and shoot.

Have taken several multi day classes that were outdoors and ran in rain, snow, etc. Worst is chilly rain changing to baking sun and then back to chilly rain.

I will say that I do draw the line at the target stands being burried by snow, but otherwise, get out and shoot.

Have taken several multi day classes that were outdoors and ran in rain, snow, etc. Worst is chilly rain changing to baking sun and then back to chilly rain.

[laugh2]

I also hate when sweat drips into my eyes when I am trying to sight in...and mosquitoes.....it's about the concentration. I draw the line at white faced wasps

THISSS!!!!!
Shooting in bad weather SUCKS and a lot of people dont realize how much it actually sucks. This is why i would choose my 17 hmr in most situations. 300-400 rounds of 5.56 or 7.62x39 in the woods and with uneven terrain gets heavy really quickly

Lots of experience duck hunting in the late winter has helped me deal with that. It is either raining, snowing or freezing. Sometimes all three within an hour. Guns that are overlubed freeze up, you get tired quickly, reaction time slows. It can be very dangerous conditions for a shooter, and much more so for someone who hasn't experienced it much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practically speaking, if I had to move around a lot, a .22. Light weight, common, accurate round for the distances out here in Western Mass, and with a good shot can even take deer. If I didn't have to leave my home, I'll grab any of my assortment of bolt-actions or my 12 gauge pump. Then again, in the sticks of Western Mass, the "End of the World" stuff is more like "No more work, let's farm and hunt so we don't die of boredom".

Back
Top Bottom