• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns for survival

I was planning to be at the range all day today but around 3pm it started raining.(the forecast called for rain but I don't really trust it since the last 2 "storm of the century" ended up being flurries). Since my trip to the range was cut short, I quickly got bored....soooo I started thinking of what firearms I would bring in a real survival situation. This will mainly used for hunting to feed myself and other and here's what I came up with:

rifle: I decided on a 17hmr bolt action. It's has been proven to be more effective than a .22lr and carrying 300 rounds of 17hmr is much easier than 300 rounds of .223,.308, 7.62x39. I know that some guys think well what if I have to engage people, A bolt action rimfire isn't enough:

1) unless confrontation is inevitable, it should be avoided at all cost
2)17hmr is more than capable of reaching something/someone at300+ yards accurately
3)it's a survival situation not a mission to raid a village

pistol: ruger sp101. A revolver is as reliable as it gets and I'm pretty sure that if I shoot a bear 15 times and hit it 5 times one of them will put it down.

Let et me know your thoughts and share what you would carry

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 183
Depends on the parameters of the "survival situation" - is it a Katrina bug out, or a Walking Dead Zombiepocalypse?

What are you hunting? Squirrels? Feral dogs? Deer? Long pig?

Not meaning to be snarky, but there is no "right" answer, IMO. If it's a long-term societal breakdown, then 12 ga, 9mm, and (or at least formerly [rolleyes]) .22, .223/5.56 along with other, more-common loadings would have the best chance of finding some extras, here and there, for when you run out.

Just my thoughts....and, remember, this is not something that's been field tested in the US of A in a long, long, time.

Unless it's a complete TEOTWAKI situation, having a concealed, as opposed to overt, arm will be better, I'd say.

Not looking for an answer just seeing what people would bring with them. I will have my ak, ar and other guns stashed somewhere

I prefer my 7.62 WASR and a Glock 21 for my two SHTF/outright defense firearms.

Yeah, ammo is heavy, but I've only got 4 mags to carry around for the AK anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the parameters of the "survival situation" - is it a Katrina bug out, or a Walking Dead Zombiepocalypse?

What are you hunting? Squirrels? Feral dogs? Deer? Long pig?

Not meaning to be snarky, but there is no "right" answer, IMO. If it's a long-term societal breakdown, then 12 ga, 9mm, and (or at least formerly [rolleyes]) .22, .223/5.56 along with other, more-common loadings would have the best chance of finding some extras, here and there, for when you run out.

Just my thoughts....and, remember, this is not something that's been field tested in the US of A in a long, long, time.

Unless it's a complete TEOTWAKI situation, having a concealed, as opposed to overt, arm will be better, I'd say.

This exactly.. Its all about options for which pericualr S**T hit which fan and how hard it hit it...
I plan on haveing a back up (offsite??) carbine/pistol combo for last ditch. I've seen some interesting stories about airgun/blowgun hunting for small game.
Worst case senerio (spending the rest of your life sans civilization) a musket (assumeing you can make your own powder) or a long bow would do you better then haveing 2k rounds of 5.56 (which you will run out of sooner or later).

That said, assumeing you dont have to carry everything with you, haveing a .50BMG isnt stupid... you never know what COULD happen... maybe the zombies drive MRAP's.... Have as many differnt choises and grab what you need when you need it (and prepare to hide the rest so you can come back for it some time in the future)

I know a lot of people define " survival" problems as : Lost in the wilderness with very few supplies.

I'd bring a 22 with a 3 or 4 power scope and 500 runds of ammo.

But doesn't " survival " also include everything from urban self defense , to disaster of a regional sort like Katrina , or the LA Riots , to complete anarchy societal meltdown , to guerrilla war against and Evil Empire here at home ?

In other words , if I were interested in " survival " and wanted to cover as many bases as I could , assuming that whatever goes wrong will be the one problem you didn't see coming , then it is very likely that hostile humans will be the biggest threat.

Which makes my default answer : an AR15 with LBE to carry 12 mags and a snack.

Not looking for an answer just seeing what people would bring with them. I will have my ak, ar and other guns stashed somewhere

Well here's my issue with that logic. If it's truly a survival situation for you it will be for others as well. You're not going to want to take down a deer, bear, or moose with a bolt action HMR.

If it's 6+ months in to a true SHFT they will more than likely already be all gone. If a desperate person or persons see you hunting in the woods with a bolt action small caliber rifle and they have a semi auto high power rifles you're going to be in some serious shit very quickly. You should have multiple high power rifles not only for redundancy but for other purposes as well. Also a shotgun for geese, ducks, and turkey so you can harvest as many as you can early in a survival/SHTF scenario.

There isn't a "one gun for survival", if you're ever down to one firearm shit has already gone bad for you.

Just my .02

I think it also depends on are you moving or do you have a camp you stay local too. I'm bringing my glock 21, mossberg 500, my ar my 300 wsm and maybe some other pistols, but if I've got to be moving all the time that's a lot to move with. I'd pare that down to my ar and shot gun

I know a lot of people define " survival" problems as : Lost in the wilderness with very few supplies.

Fubar not a dig at you because I know you're quoting others and I've seen this exact situation posted on other forums.

It's simply another jerk off fantasy. Who goes in to the woods with a .22lr and 500 rounds of ammo then proceeds to get lost and needs to survive? Months later they are found with a full beard, skinny, dirty and their story goes...

"I found myself lost in the Alaskan wilderness with nothing but this milsurp poncho, bunny boots, a Wilson Volleyball, and this trusty .22lr cricket with a 4x tasco scope. I survived from shooting and eating squirrels for months until I got lucky and was able to shoot a moose through the eyeball with a .22. I had to track him for miles until he bled out through that eye."

I roll my eyes when I read crap like that.

Wilson volleyball nice touch. The more likely scenario is I was lost in the woods with my shotgun or bolt action and 5 - 10 rounds of ammo.

In AK people probably hunt with more supplies than here as I'm sure camping is involved.

I guess you need to define SHTF as bugging in, or bugging out.

If I'm at my cabin, the answer is 'all of them'. 22's, 12 gauge, .223, .45, 54r and Garand goodness 30.06.

If I'm bugging out with an ATV, still as many as I can carry on packs.

If on foot, probably a .45, AR and my 10-22 takedown.

Since I will be travelling in a party of 4 plus 2 dogs, carrying multiple firearms is an option.

Last edited:
How long do you expect the shtf to last? If you really are planning for the long haul, probably a bow, crossbow, or flintlock would be best. You can roll your own ammo for any of those with very little special tools or resources.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Fubar not a dig at you because I know you're quoting others and I've seen this exact situation posted on other forums.

It's simply another jerk off fantasy. Who goes in to the woods with a .22lr and 500 rounds of ammo then proceeds to get lost and needs to survive? Months later they are found with a full beard, skinny, dirty and their story goes...

"I found myself lost in the Alaskan wilderness with nothing but this milsurp poncho, bunny boots, a Wilson Volleyball, and this trusty .22lr cricket with a 4x tasco scope. I survived from shooting and eating squirrels for months until I got lucky and was able to shoot a moose through the eyeball with a .22. I had to track him for miles until he bled out through that eye."

I roll my eyes when I read crap like that.

Yup.

I will never be so lucky as to have a vacation like that. I'm the guy who would crash his hot air ballon in the middle of nowhere Alaska , and land right next to a PETA summer camp during the annual tree hugging festival. .... Where they would give me a tofu burger and start complaining and whining about my lack of political correctness ...

Here is my take....straight up.....too many variables to cover with just one rifle and one handgun. Your 17hmr and sp101 sound great if your SHTF situation is bugging out to deep woods in new England. But what about for defensive use for a "safe house".......how does that 17hmr sound now? This is why I own multiple fire arms in different cals. I'm don't have the perfect mix yet but working on it.

Already discussed the bug out in the new England woods and your 17 hmr and revolver might do it......unless you need to take a deer.....

X safe house defense........308 or 30-06 bolt gun with great scope......AR or AK..........some typr of reliable semi auto pistol with many magazines.

X Bug out with a truck or SUV for long road trip.............short tacticle scatter gun with plenty of buckshot and slugs.......maybe a lever gun in 30-30 (short reliable and powerful for deer hunting if you needed to stop for a hunt for food.....an M4 carbine might cover you here too .......large 357 magnum or 44 magnum hand cannon

See what I mean.......unless you have a crystal ball on what the SHTF scenario is going to make you have to do.......2 guns is not enough......plus it is just so frigging fun to have like 8 or .........twenty guns!!!!

Last edited:
Me Tappens book Survival Guns it is a bit dated but it was the basis of how I bought guns. He had three catagories Working,these would be hunting or preditor/varmit control,Defense, and special purpose,bows,airguns etc. He also broke it down into handguns and long guns. He had a bunch of different survival batterys of different people. Only one used one gun and he stated he would like a 22lr pistol but was in Canada. The book is worth a read if you haven't read it. It was first published in the 70's I believe. Nothing new.

You don't take a road bike (pedals, not pistons) on mountain bike trails. You don't race a Land Rover Defender at Indy. You don't take your mistress to family gatherings.

Why does everybody try to make firearms the exception to the rules of purpose built items?

IMO, a "battle rifle" of sorts, a shotgun with multiple barrels, and a semi-auto handgun of choice are essentials. Add bolt guns, air rifles, and 22s as you see fit. The more the better. Guns are fun.

You 17HMR is awesome, and I applaud anyone who chooses Savage. It is, however, a specialized rifle. It's a varmint gun, and a very nice one. I have been thinking about one myself.

I was thinking just being in the woods hunting for food kind of scenario. I have plenty of larger caliber firearms if needed

To me this is the key........different tools for different jobs and if you own fire arms in order to be self reliant.......you definitely need more than one or two.

I have no interest in bugging out on foot. Either we load everything into the vehicles and trailers and head to the family place in the country, or we stay put and arm the hell out of our friends and neighbors. AK's for the guys, AR's for the ladies [grin], and a Mosin or SKS propped up next to every window. At night, we tell ghost stories and load magazines by firelight.

Take my Tavor. Nice compact and very durable package. tons of ammo and magazines to be had.

My M4 or an M1A Carbine with decent scope and a reliable 9MM pistol ... mostly because I am more apt to be able to find ammo on the move....Toss in a 12 gauge I guess....Opinions will vary but that would be what I would pick....nothing exotic just things I would be extremely proficient with handling.

Back
Top Bottom