Guns for nonresident aliens (H1B work visa) in Connecticut

A friend in Hartford has expressed interest in getting a gun. The only problem is that although he has lived there for several years now, he's in the country on an H1B work visa, so he's a nonresident alien. Can he get a gun in Connecticut? He'd prefer a handgun, and he might be interested in carrying, but he'll settle for a long gun if that's all he can get.

I tried to do some homework:

• At the federal level, I believe the only extra hoop is 18 USC 922(y)(2)(A). As a nonimmigrant alien, he's good to go as soon as he is "in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States." He could take the hunting class in Texas (where it is offered online, without a field day) and use it to apply for a hunting license in Connecticut.
  • Reading C.G.S. 29-28, it looks like there used to be a restriction for all aliens, but that the restriction was removed in 1994 (PA 94-1). The current law only restricts "an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States," which he clearly is not.
  • But the confusion seems to run deep, probably because he will be applying for a resident permit (because he has "a bona fide residence" in the jurisdiction, 29-28(b)), yet he's a nonresident alien. For instance, the state's web page says that "[a]pplicants must provide proof you are legally and lawfully in the United States" (which matches the law I found), but then it says that "Legal Alien Residents must provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency." As an H1B visa holder, he does not have an alien registration number. The application forms only require "[p]roof you are legally and lawfully in the United States (e.g., certified copy of birth certificate, U.S. passport or documentation issued by I.C.E.)," which matches the law I found).

So much for my homework. As a Massachusetts resident, I'm used to not being able to understand gun laws without the help of NES. So—does anyone know what the real answer is? Can my friend get a gun, or even a handgun, or even a carry permit? Practically, how is Hartford PD and/or the state police going to treat him?

He could take the hunting class in Texas (where it is offered online, without a field day) and use it to apply for a hunting license in Connecticut.
There is no federal requirement that the hunting license be issued from the state the foreigner is visiting.

One can mail order an Alaska small game hunting license for $20: https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/store/

(I'm bumping this old thread rather than starting a new one.)

Reading the law, it appears to me that a non-resident non-immigrant alien, legally present in the United States, who is in possession of a valid DHS admission number, a valid approved ATF Form 6NIA, and a valid permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued by a recognized United States jurisdiction, is eligible under the law for a Connecticut Non-Resident State Pistol Permit.

Am I incorrect?

Maynard,

Your friend is without a doubt a resident of CT. So there is no worry there.

I am 99.9% your friend would be fine if he had a green card.

The issue is the fact that he only has a work visa.

I'lll check with some people who know more than I do.

Don

Back
Top Bottom