• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns for Kids

Was watching the Walking Dead tonight and Judith (an 8 or 9 year old) was holding a Colt Python and had used it in the previous episode and it got me to wondering, because SHTF is always foremost in my mind, what would be an appropriate gun for a pre-teen child aged 8 or older?

This question obviously opens up to both rifles and pistols, so the best I can think of is for a rifle it would be a Ruger Charger with a pistol brace for a rifle and a Ruger Bearcat for a handgun because it has a small grip and a decent trigger.

What do you think?

lY2Mlte.jpg

I have two 9-yo grandsons that are nowhere near having the build to be handling a weapon, doubt they could load a magazine yet either. Maybe in a few years? I would start with pellet guns and work their way up to .22s teaching safety along the way. That could change, of course, if the SHTF or the Zombees start rolling ... o_O

The Savage Rascal is a great 22 for little ones. My daughter loves hers. She is 10 now but I got it for her when she was 7. She doesn't like shooting handguns yet. Hopefully that changes.

I have two 9-yo grandsons that are nowhere near having the build to be handling a weapon, doubt they could load a magazine yet either. Maybe in a few years? I would start with pellet guns and work their way up to .22s teaching safety along the way. That could change, of course, if the SHTF or the Zombees start rolling ... o_O

it's never too early to get them started. I remember in the shooting galleries of Soviet Union, pellet gun stands were equipped with booden blocks to support the barrel while youngsters shot.

I got my kiddo started with AK and AR when he was 6. He liked AR a lot, no recoil and "cemetary style" scope to hit crap to 100 yards, I couldn't tear him from that rifle.

does anyone know how much it costs to run a radio add, few hundred bucks, more? It would be funny as hell to chip in a few bucks and setup NES add like that.
Probably get a deal on Howie Carr.
Isn't there a firearms show on WRKO or WCAP on weekend nights?

Depends on thier mental state. My daughter at 5 knew the 10 safety rules that comes in the manuals and was attentive and safe. My 8 yr Son has some work to do before he even gets to the BB guns

As for what guns, what ever they can safely handle. My daughter at 7 was handling the TacSol AR 22 well and safely pistols, not so much. Just did not like them to start with and hand strength was not there

I started my son on a bb gun as soon as he was strong enough to pull the trigger. It didn't take him long at all to demonstrate proper safety and an understanding of the 4 rules. I got him a Savage Rascal for his 6th birthday, and he has done very well with it. He's 9 now and he shoots my 10/22 well, but still doesn't like the recoil of my 223 AR, which has prevented him from deer hunting for now.

My daughter on the other hand, is 6 and I'm not sure if she's even ready for the bb gun. Next year I'm going to get her started with it and see how she does.

Neither of them will be getting a handgun or anything with a short barrel for quite some time.

Like you mentioned I have my eye out for a ruger bearcat for my 6 year old son, right now he shoots a Henry mini bolt which is a great little rifle.

Henry Mini-Bolts are awesome for munchkins!
or if you don't like those, something with fiber optics Fire Sights ....waaaay easier to explain "put the red dot between the green ones, then put it where you want the bullet to go," than "equal height, equal light, left & right"
Mini Bolt Youth | Henry Repeating Arms

Taught all of my kids on semi auto 22s when they turned 9. Its never too early to learn the fundamentals of semi automatic function. If your kids can grasp the concepts of how they operate, and how to clear the weapon (after lots of drilling it into them with very close supervision) every other type of action will seem simple. I also think its safer for them to see that the weapon isn't clear after they pull the trigger.

God forbid they ever go to a friends house when they're teens and goof off with Johnny's auto-loader and think that its safe after they take a shot at a soda can because theyre used to the single shot bolt action they got on their 11th birthday.

Just a thought. Is there even such a thing as a single shot .22 handgun, other than a Thompson center style? Just a basic action? I don't mean a revolver, but a true single shot, that you drop a .22 cartridge into one at a time.

Started my daughter at 6 on the 22lr Crickett. She is 10 now and has tried the 10/22 and likes the Crickett better. She isn't ready for a pistol.

Was watching the Walking Dead tonight and Judith (an 8 or 9 year old) was holding a Colt Python and had used it in the previous episode and it got me to wondering, because SHTF is always foremost in my mind, what would be an appropriate gun for a pre-teen child aged 8 or older?

This question obviously opens up to both rifles and pistols, so the best I can think of is for a rifle it would be a Ruger Charger with a pistol brace for a rifle and a Ruger Bearcat for a handgun because it has a small grip and a decent trigger.

What do you think?

Don't blanks have like half the gunpowder of normal rounds? Maybe that's how Judith is able to shoot it?

8 year old I'd say one of those Star Wars guns that goes "pew-pew-pew".

Back
Top Bottom