• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns for grocery - Cape Cod

More to the point, if you actively participate in these gun buys, you are supporting them and what they stand for. If no one ever showed up, they would stop having them. I'd rather torch cut a gun in half myself than get $50 from the government for it.

+1

Everyone knows that gun buys are political posturing. Politician's know it's a joke (unless they're truly deluded), cops know they're a joke. It's as effective against crime as an awb.

Last edited:
So I have two points to make:

1. If that, above, is the true purpose, then it could be a good thing. In my head I imagine a 90 year old woman driving up with an old shotgun that was formerly owned by her husband, who passed years ago. She has no idea how to use it, nor does she want to. But, to date, she hasnt known of a way to get rid of it. Granted, there are many other ways in a perfect scenario.

2. People to give their weapons to these guys do so voluntarily. So why is everyone here complaining about the government disarming the people? The people are lining up!!!

I am not a fan of the program but this is exactly the purpose of this program. Cape Cod has a very big problem with homes of the elderly getting ransacked and firearms stolen. There is a large population of elderly with firearms in the home. The criminals know this and are ransacking these homes in search of firearms. When they are stolen the elderly do not even know how many fireamrs they had let alone make, models and serial numbers. Therefore when the guns are recovered from the criminals there is no way to know where they came from and makes it difficult to prosecute.

This is a problem on the cape. Although I may not agree with it the program is well intentioned.

Relax. Take off the tin-foil.

You weren't telling me that, but I have to let everyone know that my tin-foil has been loctited to my head now, so it's permanent. So please, no more "take off the tin-foil" comments in the future, it's discriminatory to those of us who can't. thank you. [smile]

No, but I am! $50 bucks is more than this Lorcin is worth. Hello Stop & Shop!

Exactly. The government creates a disturbance in the market. Any interference will have these type of unintended consequences.

Their aim may be to get criminals to disarm, but this is foolish. The buy-back program is only going to intice people, perhaps those with rightful and legal posession of some awful piece of crud like a Lorcin, to trade in for a bag of groceries, a Wal-Mart gift card, or whatever the bait is.

And bill gets footed by the taxpayers.

When guns are requested to be destroyed or are brought in through a program like this, they MUST be destroyed. Police officers can't "Pick Through Them". Guns that are to be destoyed are monitored very closely.

Thanks. Is that because federal regs (enforced by ATF) govern this type of exchange?

I am not a fan of the program but this is exactly the purpose of this program. Cape Cod has a very big problem with homes of the elderly getting ransacked and firearms stolen. There is a large population of elderly with firearms in the home. The criminals know this and are ransacking these homes in search of firearms. When they are stolen the elderly do not even know how many fireamrs they had let alone make, models and serial numbers. Therefore when the guns are recovered from the criminals there is no way to know where they came from and makes it difficult to prosecute.

This is a problem on the cape. Although I may not agree with it the program is well intentioned.

How about just placing a repeated public service announcement on the local radio and newspapers informing the elderly gun owners to start being a bit more responsible, record their serial numbers, buy gun safes and lock their guns up like all of us do?

I'm glad you are not a fan of the program and if you have any influence in its operation, how about making the suggestion?

Even as well intentioned as the program may be, it is costing me the taxpayer, and it is not disarming criminals, and it IS disarming the public.

As the saying goes......"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Last edited by a moderator:

Is this because the Cape is populated by...

...an abnormal percentage of old people?

...an abnormal percentage of DUMB old people?

...an abnormal percentage of dumb old people who don't stay home much?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I'd love to know how the Cape stacks up against other conclaves of dumb old people statewide.

I'd love to know how the Cape stacks up against other conclaves of dumb old people statewide.

I'd guess they're a bit on the high side, percentage-wise. Maybe it's proximity to the Kennedy Compound. Still, I wonder how many war relics end up sawed in half as a result of these buybacks.

And bill gets footed by the taxpayers.

You wouldn't want any of your hard earned taxes back? I'll gladly take back the $2246 each of the 6,497,967 of us paid for the Big Dig for the mere 245,000 who use it everyday. That's a fair use of taxpayer money. I am in no way defending a buy back, they are a sham, but I would seriously consider take any any opportunity to get money back from a state that takes a third of what I make every day.

Last edited:
I'd guess they're a bit on the high side, percentage-wise. Maybe it's proximity to the Kennedy Compound. Still, I wonder how many war relics end up sawed in half as a result of these buybacks.

I wonder also.

If the objective is to 'help out' folks who have guns they inherited and don't know what to do with or how to handle, the 'authorities' would enhance their credibility A LOT by having gun brokers available to quickly appraise the best of the turn-ins.

Helping the owners rid themselves of a gun they didn't want and GETTING VALUE for it would be a worthwhile objective.

As has been said, this is much more likely a simple effort to disarm the citizenry through a path of least resistance.

Last edited:
I agree: Disarm before the person is "caught" with an "illegal" firearm. Basically to the DA, $50 is chump change compared to the potential fight in court based on the legality of licensing a Constitutional Right. Because, all it takes is one person w/ the financial means to fight a illegal possession charge in their HOME, and they will be spending millions.

Just my .02 on this.

You wouldn't want any of your hard earned taxes back? I'll gladly take back the $2246 each of the 6,497,967 of us paid for the Big Dig for the mere 245,000 who use it everyday. That's a fair use of taxpayer money. I am in no way defending a buy back, they are a sham, but I would seriously consider take any any opportunity to get money back from a state that takes a third of what I make every day.

So,........you want to give them more? Your logic is flawed.

By participating in a buyback, You are sacrificing yet another one of your rights(in principle at the very least) and another piece of property to the same government that robbed you in the first place. [rolleyes][rolleyes]

Why not sell that Lorcin to another person, or even gift it to someone who would appreciate it and keep it for their own defense?

I agree: Disarm before the person is "caught" with an "illegal" firearm. Basically to the DA, $50 is chump change compared to the potential fight in court based on the legality of licensing a Constitutional Right. Because, all it takes is one person w/ the financial means to fight a illegal possession charge in their HOME, and they will be spending millions.

Just my .02 on this.

Does this DA have a money tree? That "chump change" comes out of your and my pocket.

I'd love for that "one person with means" to appear and sue this state into receivership for its chronic abuse of people's liberty. If it meant ridding the legislature of this state in its entirety, and breaking the bank of this state in the process it would be a God send.

So,........you want to give them more? Your logic is flawed.

By participating in a buyback, You are sacrificing yet another one of your rights(in principle at the very least) and another piece of property to the same government that robbed you in the first place. [rolleyes][rolleyes]

Why not sell that Lorcin to another person, or even gift it to someone who would appreciate it and keep it for their own defense?

How are you interpreting that I want to give them more from what I said? Like I said, Buy-backs are a sham. I also stated I would consider taking any opportunity to recoup my taxes. Some of us barely make make enough to get by especially on the Cape where there economy hit HARD this winter. In regards to the Lorcin, I'm out of FA-10 and local FFLs wont touch it because it's not on the AG list and they want proof of it being here before said list went into effect. Gift it to someone for self defense? It's a Lorcin, I wouldn't give it to someone I care about as a tool to defend their life. As far as sacrificing a right (in principle), the majority of us do that everyday in our collective bend-over-and-accept-it complacency instead of voicing our opinions/protesting against the myriad of things wrong with politics at both the state and federal level.

If the objective is to 'help out' folks who have guns they inherited and don't know what to do with or how to handle, the 'authorities' would enhance their credibility A LOT by having gun brokers available to quickly appraise the best of the turn-ins.

Helping the owners rid themselves of a gun they didn't want and GETTING VALUE for it would be a worthwhile objective.

Bingo! This has been my suggestion for these programs.

As has been said, this is much more likely a simple effort to disarm the citizenry through a path of least resistance.

Really..it isn't.

Is this because the Cape is populated by...

...an abnormal percentage of old people?

...an abnormal percentage of DUMB old people?

...an abnormal percentage of dumb old people who don't stay home much?

The Cape has a much higher percentage of old people than the rest of the State. Over the generations the cape has always had a high percentage of gun owners as well.

Who says that the old people are dumb?

Does this DA have a money tree? That "chump change" comes out of your and my pocket.

So... you know where the money is coming from? Or are you assuming?

Did you know that it is not funded by the DA?

Did you know that it was started by Sheriff Cummings?

Do you know whether the supermarkets are funding it?

Where is the funding coming from, then? I think it's safe to assume, given the fact that most other things come out of our pocket, that this is no different.

All funding for all projects, governmental or otherwise comes from the pockets of the people........whether it is donations, confiscations, taxes, profits or investments, there is no "magical appearance" of money, it all has one source and that is from the people of this country and the commerce they generate through their work.

Your questions are sophomorical in nature.

It doesn't matter if the supermarkets are funding it, their money comes from people who shop there. Many who shop there would disagree with that type of use of funds and might choose to shop elsewhere if they were aware of the supermarket's funding of such a program.
And if they are funding it, they are being duped because of their ignorance of the matter.

It doesn't matter if Sheriff Cummings started it as well, its still an ineffective, intrusive and ultimately confiscatory program that will prove as all others like it have, to have no effect on the criminal activity on the cape or elsewhere.

The problem I have is that the money is being used by and for a government program that doesn't work and ultimately deprives law abiding citizens of property and diminishes any commerce that might arise from the legitimate sale of those guns (which will be destroyed) to other law abiding citizens.

You yourself said you disagree with it.......what are your reason/s??

All funding for all projects, governmental or otherwise comes from the pockets of the people........whether it is donations, confiscations, taxes, profits or investments, there is no "magical appearance" of money, it all has one source and that is from the people of this country and the commerce they generate through their work.

Ummm..... that is enlightening[rolleyes]

Your questions are sophomorical in nature.

My questions were to point out that those who are criticizing the DA for funding this program with taxpayer money is not accurate.

It doesn't matter if the supermarkets are funding it, their money comes from people who shop there. Many who shop there would disagree with that type of use of funds and might choose to shop elsewhere if they were aware of the supermarket's funding of such a program.
And if they are funding it, they are being duped because of their ignorance of the matter.

Supermarkets donate and advertise in any number of ways that we do not know about. What does it matter?

It doesn't matter if Sheriff Cummings started it as well

Then why are people criticizing the DA?

intrusive and ultimately confiscatory program

How is a voluntary turn in program intrusive and confiscatory?

You yourself said you disagree with it.......what are your reason/s??

You said it yourself... I will partially quote you:

The problem I have is that the money is being used for a government program that doesn't work and diminishes any commerce that might arise from the legitimate sale of those guns (which will be destroyed) to other law abiding citizens.

Ummm..... that is enlightening[rolleyes]

My questions were to point out that those who are criticizing the DA for funding this program with taxpayer money is not accurate.

Supermarkets donate and advertise in any number of ways that we do not know about. What does it matter?

Then why are people criticizing the DA?

How is a voluntary turn in program intrusive and confiscatory?

You said it yourself... I will partially quote you:

The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office, in conjunction with the Cape and Islands District Attorney’s Office and the Barnstable Police Department, among other agencies,

Thats why the DA was being criticized.

I guess the real question here would be: Who solicited who for the money and where did it come from?
Did someone in a supermarket wake up one day and just decide to donate a pile of cash or gift cards for use to buy guns?........or was a call made to them, soliciting support?

I disagree with all of them who participate including the public.

Your reason for disagreement is good.

But just where do you think the money (otherwise known as wealth) of this nation comes from?

Added: How is a voluntary turn in program intrusive and confiscatory?

Intrusive in the manner that it is none of the government's business to deploy such programs, especially offering the pittance of reward that they are and most especially it it was done on behalf of or at the request of an individual or corporation or the sheriff himself.

"ultimately" confiscatory: to quote my wording correctly, in that once those guns are gathered, they are treated as permanently confiscated guns and will be destroyed, removing any benefit of future enjoyment or commerce that might be derived from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cape has a much higher percentage of old people than the rest of the State. Over the generations the cape has always had a high percentage of gun owners as well.

Who says that the old people are dumb?

I was being sarcastic.

The implication was that a higher percentage of elderly meant people who 'didn't know what they had or how to use it', or would fork over a functioning firearm for $50.

How could you imagine that the implication was anything other than that the elderly as a general population are ....Dumb?

Sure. I'd love to get back what was stolen from me. So I agree.

But at the same time, any participation gives them credence to exist. I'd rather try to organize a bunch of us, raise a few thousand dollars and put up a bench right in front of the cops' "$50 in groceries for each gun" with a sign that reads "We'll double whatever the cops are giving you in groceries for each gun".

No tax-payer rip offs. Free market. Peace. Harmony. And all that happy horseshit! [wink]

Back
Top Bottom