• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns for grocery - Cape Cod

uzi

Source: Boston Herald
HYANNIS — How many groceries can an old shotgun buy?

According to local law enforcement agencies, the answer is $50 worth, reports the Cape Cod Times.

The Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office, in conjunction with the Cape and Islands District Attorney’s Office and the Barnstable Police Department, among other agencies, announced plans yesterday to launch a firearms exchange program in which Cape residents can trade in their guns for a $50 gift certificate from local grocery stores.

The program, modeled after others across the state and the country, is intended to help residents safely dispose of unwanted firearms to prevent them from being stolen or used unlawfully, District Attorney Michael O’Keefe said during a press conference at the Barnstable Police Station.

Read the full story at the Cape Cod Times.

Here's the remaining portion of the article. The end is particularly interesting.

Cape Cod Times said:
"It's a small step," O'Keefe said. "But it could be an important step if people ... decide that $50 of groceries is more important to them than having an old gun lying around."

Authorities don't expect the program to appeal to local criminals. "I don't expect that gang bangers will be coming in off the street," Sheriff James Cummings said with a laugh. But it could be more effective with local residents who find or are left with guns they don't know what to do with.

Often times, local residents are left with firearms after a spouse dies or moves away, and these guns can be dangerous targets during home thefts or break-ins, and eventually used for crimes, Barnstable police Chief Paul MacDonald said.

This past year, Barnstable police recovered more than 50 guns as they executed about 45 search warrants, MacDonald said. The district attorney's office has prosecuted 216 cases for unlawful possession of a firearm around the Cape since 2007, with 70 charges pending, according to Assistant District Attorney Michael Trudeau.

Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms statistics show that 1,538 firearms were recovered by police around the state in 2007, the agency's most recent count.

"Years ago, a call involving a firearm or shots fired was rare," MacDonald said, looking back to when he first joined the force in 1981. "Now it's not out of the ordinary. It is the ordinary. ... It seems like we're responding to them every week."

Although police will run serial number checks on all firearms submitted, they will not hold residents legally responsible for the guns they return. All guns will be destroyed and not kept for re-sale, said O'Keefe who had his own gun stolen during a burglary in 2006. The gun has not yet been recovered.

"We're not looking to prosecute," O'Keefe said. "We're looking to get guns off the street."

Such programs have proved successful for years in other parts of the country, police departments reported. In recent months, departments in Dallas; Philadelphia, and Akron, Ohio, among others, have collected thousands of firearms. Last month, a one-day collection in Los Angeles netted nearly 1,700 guns, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

In Los Angeles, however, the police department offered $100 gift certificates in exchange, and in Binghamton, N.Y., police are offering $150 grocery cards at an event later this month.

At $50, the County Sheriff's offer could amount to pennies on the dollar for some guns located around the Cape, said Sandy Furber, a salesman at the Goose Hummock Shop in Orleans, which buys and sells used guns. An average used Ruger .22 handgun could sell for between $225 and $500, depending on its age and condition, Furber said. But, for some of the old, antique guns found in Cape attics and basements, $50 is a steal, he said.

"You see a lot of guns that would only go for $15 or $20. I usually tell them I'll just get rid of them for them," Furber said. "There are a lot of people who could take advantage of (a program like this)."

these people never seem to learn.

why would a criminal give up his weapons which are his tools for stealing and thieving for a living for a freakin 50 dollar grocery certificate. The only guns they are going to get off the street are from the old grannies who's husbands have passed and they happen to have them lying around the attic or closet. Yeah those are imperative to get off the streets!!!!!!!!

morons...... [thinking]

I wonder if the law prevents buy-backs like this from exploiting the public.

For example, if cops are able to cherry pick the turn ins and purchase them for personal use, that would be a pretty tragic way to exploit the ill informed.

On the other hand if the law requires that the firearms turned in are monitored and destroyed, then you could at least feel comfortable the program wasn't DESIGNED to rip people off.

It clearly seems the motivation is to rid the uninformed of what they have but may not properly value.

I wonder if the law prevents buy-backs like this from exploiting the public.

For example, if cops are able to cherry pick the turn ins and purchase them for personal use, that would be a pretty tragic way to exploit the ill informed.

On the other hand if the law requires that the firearms turned in are monitored and destroyed, then you could at least feel comfortable the program wasn't DESIGNED to rip people off.

It clearly seems the motivation is to rid the uninformed of what they have but may not properly value.

When guns are requested to be destroyed or are brought in through a program like this, they MUST be destroyed. Police officers can't "Pick Through Them". Guns that are to be destoyed are monitored very closely.

When guns are requested to be destroyed or are brought in through a program like this, they MUST be destroyed. Police officers can't "Pick Through Them". Guns that are to be destoyed are monitored very closely.

My dept has some VERY nice guns that I would LOVE to take home but we can't. It is sad actually. They could have a LARGE income to help the budget if they could sell them.

"We're looking to get guns off the street." ???

You have to be kidding. They did this some place else in Mass. a month ago too.
How does this do the job?? "We're looking to get guns off the street."
Some widower probably gave them a nice $2000 shot gun thather husband cherished!!!
Wouldn't it be better if they worked with a few gun dealers, collect them and made them available to honest citizens for a fair price, then take a cut for the local PD???

These guns and all the registered guns are not the problem!!!!

armory lockup

in most of my duty stations i was in an armory. it was mandatory that
private firearms must be kept under lock and key in the armory.

each month there was an auction for those firearms they could not
find owners for. had to wait 6 months before they went up for auction.

NIce

JimB

You have to be kidding. They did this some place else in Mass. a month ago too.
How does this do the job?? "We're looking to get guns off the street."
Some widower probably gave them a nice $2000 shot gun thather husband cherished!!!
Wouldn't it be better if they worked with a few gun dealers, collect them and made them available to honest citizens for a fair price, then take a cut for the local PD???

These guns and all the registered guns are not the problem!!!!

The point..........its not about getting guns off the streets, its about public disarmament........ALWAYS has been in Massachusetts.

Things might have been different...............

..............if not for some of the shenanigans being pulled in some of these "buy-back" programs in the 90's. The most prominent case I recall from the period centered around Captain Pimental, aka Captain Good, in Taunton. Amongst a host of criminal charges, he was convicted of stealing firearms that had been turned into the Taunton police and earmarked for destruction.

Personally, I believe it makes a lot of sense to publicly auction legal firearms to LEO's and lawful gun owners. This could result in extra money for the cities and towns. Unfortunately, this is still Massachusetts. Any chance of salvaging decent firearms was buried due to some of these clowns back in the 90's. Well, maybe I am being a bit too harsh. Regardless of the past firearms pilfering in some of these programs, it is highly unlikely that Massachusetts would be progressive enough to auction these items to LEO's and lawful gun owners.

Flame suit on here...

The first post starts off saying this:

Qte:
The program, modeled after others across the state and the country, is intended to help residents safely dispose of unwanted firearms to prevent them from being stolen or used unlawfully, District Attorney Michael O’Keefe said during a press conference at the Barnstable Police Station.
:UnQte

So I have two points to make:

1. If that, above, is the true purpose, then it could be a good thing. In my head I imagine a 90 year old woman driving up with an old shotgun that was formerly owned by her husband, who passed years ago. She has no idea how to use it, nor does she want to. But, to date, she hasnt known of a way to get rid of it. Granted, there are many other ways in a perfect scenario.

2. People to give their weapons to these guys do so voluntarily. So why is everyone here complaining about the government disarming the people? The people are lining up!!!

3. I'd agree with n1oty's idea of auctioning...

- We'd get a source of rather cheap weapons to add to our collections.
- They'd go to law abiding citizens (I doubt criminals would show up at a police auction)
- The town gets funding and therefore less strain via taxes.

Stupid is as stupid does...

Gun buyback = no drop in crime rate = waste of taxpayer money = makes the sheeple think the government is doing something about crime.

1. If that, above, is the true purpose, then it could be a good thing. In my head I imagine a 90 year old woman driving up with an old shotgun that was formerly owned by her husband, who passed years ago. She has no idea how to use it, nor does she want to. But, to date, she hasnt known of a way to get rid of it. Granted, there are many other ways in a perfect scenario.

Yellow Pages. "Guns". Phone call. Cash in hand and a firearm preserved. It ain't rocket science. If the town wants to get guns away from little old ladies who might harm themselves, a notice at the the local elderly drop-in center would be sufficient. Gun dealers will make house calls.

Flame suit on here...

The first post starts off saying this:

Qte:
:UnQte

2. People to give their weapons to these guys do so voluntarily. So why is everyone here complaining about the government disarming the people? The people are lining up!!!

3. I'd agree with n1oty's idea of auctioning...

- We'd get a source of rather cheap weapons to add to our collections.
- They'd go to law abiding citizens (I doubt criminals would show up at a police auction)
- The town gets funding and therefore less strain via taxes.

Because it is being done under the guise of "crime control" or "gun control" or "public safety" and, the government officials are offering a minimum amount of money for most guns that are worth far more, to a basically ignorant audience of people. They are ripping people off in the process of disarming them.
If they really want guns off the streets, then pay a fair market value for them to their owners.

Secondly, I find it an abuse of public office to be draining public monies no matter how small, to fund programs that have been proven NOT to work.

That 90 yr old woman in your mind's eye can pick up the phone and call any gun shop and likely get paid far more money for her late husband's gun/s AND they stay in the hands of citizens instead of being melted down into manhole covers or pilfered from storage areas.

Any way you slice it, its public disarmament.......voluntarily or not.

Yellow Pages. "Guns". Phone call. Cash in hand and a firearm preserved. It ain't rocket science. If the town wants to get guns away from little old ladies who might harm themselves, a notice at the the local elderly drop-in center would be sufficient. Gun dealers will make house calls.

Agree 100%

I wish more did. You would think that a local FFL would take advantage of the press and offer to do something like that???

I wish more did. You would think that a local FFL would take advantage of the press and offer to do something like that???

I think most FFLs would do this as a community service, and to defeat the insanity of publically funded gun buy-backs and the potential destruction of irreplaceable guns.

So they know it won't be affecting crime but they do it anyway? What a joke. It's all about disarming the PEOPLE... we need to wake up.

Riiiiiiiight!

[laugh2][rofl][laugh2][smile][rofl]

Damn, gotta clean coffe out of the keyboard again. [shocked]

My dept has some VERY nice guns that I would LOVE to take home but we can't. It is sad actually. They could have a LARGE income to help the budget if they could sell them.

no kidding....my dept has some sweet guns we have aquired through the years. I would love to have some of them. [grin]

Remember, our tax dollars fund these $50 or $100 per unit buybacks.

Criminals aren't going to take advantage of these since, as previously mentioned, they are a tool they use for their dubious job of conducting crime.

"Years ago, a call involving a firearm or shots fired was rare," MacDonald said, looking back to when he first joined the force in 1981. "Now it's not out of the ordinary. It is the ordinary. ... It seems like we're responding to them every week."

News to me.

No, but I am! $50 bucks is more than this Lorcin is worth. Hello Stop & Shop!

You are fooling yourself, if your post has any truth to it. That Lorcin could mean the difference between you living or dieing someday and is better than a sharp stick in a bad situation.

Remember all those "Liberators"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

I'd rethink the situation.

If you are that hard up for fifty bucks, I'll gladly pay you to mow my lawn for a couple of weeks and earn it if it means retaining your ability to possibly protect yourself in the future.

You can use my mower and gas too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are fooling yourself, if your post has any truth to it. That Lorcin could mean the difference between you living or dieing someday and is better than a sharp stick in a bad situation.

If you are that hard up for fifty bucks, I'll gladly pay you to mow my lawn for a couple of weeks and earn it if it means retaining your ability to possibly protect yourself in the future.

i'll take a wild guess that Wolfhook has more than one gun. [wink]

But if not, Wolfhook, you can mow my lawn too. I will find some canned food to pay you with. Yes? [smile]

More to the point, if you actively participate in these gun buys, you are supporting them and what they stand for. If no one ever showed up, they would stop having them. I'd rather torch cut a gun in half myself than get $50 from the government for it.

Back
Top Bottom