• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns aren't only AR or AK

I think everyone should own an AR and AK simply to be proficient in the platforms, even if you hate it.

That said, my Springfield M1A is my favorite gun to shoot, followed closely by my SKS.

If you don't own an M1A, never shoot one until you can afford to buy one because you're going to want it.

What's crazy is what some people spend to turn a perfectly good M1A into an Mk14 EBR... of course, I'd do the same thing. Never met a tactical rail I didn't like. Can I get it in Magpul Stealth Gray?
[rofl]

What's crazy is what some people spend to turn a perfectly good M1A into an Mk14 EBR... of course, I'd do the same thing. Never met a tactical rail I didn't like. Can I get it in Magpul Stealth Gray?
[rofl]

The mags and ammo cost way more than the rifle. I love my standard walnut stock.

Last edited:
The mags and ammo cost way more than the rifle. I love my standard walnut stock.

I know... this was my last build.

ar10.jpg

DPMS pattern AR-10. There should be a disclaimer somewhere that says "Warning: AR-10 parts are significantly more expensive than AR-15 parts". The upside is I got Inerlogic to reload .308 to feed it... still expensive though.

I guess my point is, expand your gun horizons. There is nothing wrong with the designs from Stoner and Kalashnikov, but not every gun in your collection has to be designed to fight off 3 intruders, an invading army, or a horde of zombies. A French MAS 49/56 may not be what the operator magazines are bragging about but it's different and fun to shoot. A gun does not have to fill a specific purpose to have a place in your collection. It just has to be interesting.

There are guns you buy for a specific purpose, and there are guns you just buy. Sometimes you buy the gun and make a purpose up in your mind to justify the expense.
[rofl]

Find a platform you like and go with it.

If you don't own an M1A, never shoot one until you can afford to buy one because you're going to want it.

Man, I wish you'd posted this a few months ago. I shot a national match and now I gotta have one but I don't have the money.

Saving my pennies...

I think everyone should own an AR and AK simply to be proficient in the platforms, even if you hate it.

That said, my Springfield M1A is my favorite gun to shoot, followed closely by my SKS.

In all seriousness, I completey agree--with the exception that there's something about the Garand that the M1A can't provide. Perhaps it's the feeling of shooting a piece of history. Or the sound of the 8th round.

With the exception of a couple guns you mention, I could have wrotten this.

I have more than a few pieces in my collection and have one AR and one AK, and NOT one Glock. Everyone who collects, should have an AR and an AK in the safe but I agree that they are just another tacticool item that people have to have because it's 'the thing to have.' Much the same as skiing, playing golf, or fast cars and bikes. If you don't have one, you're not with the 'in crowd'.

Ramsey Lewis! Now there's a sign of man who's retired.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all seriousness, I completey agree--with the exception that there's something about the Garand that the M1A can't provide. Perhaps it's the feeling of shooting a piece of history. Or the sound of the 8th round.

"a ****ed-up right thumb". the words you're looking for are "a ****ed-up right thumb"

It's simple, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

I have an AR, don't have or want an AK (well, sort of and I'll get to that). I have an AR mostly because I wanted to build one and when it comes to accuracy in semi-autos, it's really hard to beat the AR platform. I also have an M1A and a Robinson XCR, both of which I enjoy shooting more than the AR. The M1A is an M1A and nothing more need be said. The XCR is fantastic ergonomically, dead reliable, eats anything I feed it and I enjoy seeing the brass (or usually steel in this one) get flung 25' away.

I'm not sure what my next rifle will be but it won't be an AR or AK. Something of European or Israeli descent is much more likely.

It's 100% the 8th round for me. If garands were .308 I'd own one already. I just haven't justified adding another caliber yet.

It's 100% the 8th round for me. If garands were .308 I'd own one already. I just haven't justified adding another caliber yet.
CMP just sold out of the .308 Navy barreled receivers after about two years.

A buddy of mine bought one and a [STRIKE=field grade] drill rifle, and swapped out the field grade's receiver with the Navy .308.

Instant .308 Garand.

They do have ones that were rechambered in the '60s, but I'd want the original.

My buddy has a new manufacture Garand in .308 (i.e., Springfield, Inc.) he bought about 5 years ago, shot maybe 50 rounds out of, and is now wishing he'd sunk his dough into a GI rifle.

Last edited:
[rofl]. Or maybe that distinctive "ping" to tell your target you just shot your last round in the clip...
the only guys that know that ping were on the receiving end in the 50's and 60's and 10% of gun enthusiasts.

I'm sorry. You cannot start a thread dissing AR's and AK's saying you prefer guns with 'character'. Then criticize people who assemble them with different parts and in different configurations for not being actual 'builders'. All while using 'SS350' in your username?!?!? The small block chevy equivelent of the AR-15??? Come on man, the most cliché, over accesorized and overused engine in automotive history!!! Are you trying to shoot yourself in the foot starting this thread???? The hypocrisy is ludicrous!!! [laugh]

Last edited:
I'm sorry. You cannot start a thread dissing AR's and AK's saying you prefer guns with 'character'. Then criticize people who assemble them with different parts and in different configurations for not being actual 'builders'. All while using 'SS350' in your username?!?!? The small block chevy equivelent of the AR-15??? Come on man, the most cliché, over accesorized and overused engine in automotive history!!! Are you trying to shoot yourself in the foot starting this thread???? The hypocrisy is ludicrous!!! [laugh]

SS350! I thought it was the Ford 289/302.

Back
Top Bottom