• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns and Movies

SKS Ray

NES Member
Ever watch a movie and see a certain gun and then really start wanting one? I'm not talking an unrealistic buy, but a gun you actually have or had a chance to buy and never did. One you know you could afford if you saw it for sale and would get it after seeing it in a certain movie.
I watched Days of Glory this afternoon and now I want an original MAS-36 rifle. [thinking]

I got mine on Gun Broker for $230 and i also picked up a 1949/56

pix1045273156.jpg

pix91036671.jpg

You know... I have done that, but I really wonder why.

No item that I've ever dreamed of owning ever lived up to my dreams (well, except my motorcycle). To use the gun example, my first dream gun was a Tech-9. Now-a-days I look at it and think "Heavy and old technology"

Next dream gun was a Beretta 92F. Now I have one and it's the least favorite in my collection.

Next was the Mp5. I still like it and still want one but there is NO WAY it's worth the current market price.(even in a free state) It's just not THAT good. (and yes I have fired one. An SD no less)

So every time I want some new toy, I always keep that in mind. It's saved me a lot of money.

Have I ever wanted a gun because of a movie? Yup...
Lord of war - AK47
Shooter - Bolt action .308 (Rem700 or something) ... the .50 is just too impractical for me.
Also saw Saving Private Ryan today... now I want an M1A.

Have I ever wanted a gun because of a thread on NES? Yes...

What is it? Tell me more!

hey isn't Flotter390 selling his?? I fired that bad boy IT IS FUNNNNNNNNNNNN![smile] Wait Metric ammo? Fred's shot .308 pretty sure....
Yes Flotter390 is selling the .308 version. Both of mine are the original 7.5 X 54mm French. Not the easiest ammo to find but i have been hording it in boxer primed where i can find it.

Have I ever wanted a gun because of a movie? Yup...
Lord of war - AK47
Shooter - Bolt action .308 (Rem700 or something) ... the .50 is just too impractical for me.
Also saw Saving Private Ryan today... now I want an M1A.

Have I ever wanted a gun because of a thread on NES? Yes...

What is it? Tell me more!

Not trying to crush your dreams - but if you watched Saving Private Ryan you should want an M1 Garand, an M1 carbine, a BAR - or a maybe a Thompson submachine gun. The M1A is a reproduction of the M14 - which did not come about until the 50's.

For M1 Garands or M1 carbines - you should join up with CMP - they will ship directly to your door - and the rifle you get may well be a WW2 veteran:

www.odcmp.com ( go to the sales section)
There is a lot of info right here on NES about joining up with CMP. The Tom Sizemore character carried an M1 Carbine - and everybody else was pretty much carrying M1 Garands.

The Tom Hanks character carried a Thompson submachine gun, which you can get a reproduction of here:
http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_front_lg.html

The Edward Burns character carried a BAR - which you can get a semi-auto reproduction of - but it is big $$$:

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/semi-auto/A1918-rifle.html

Your dreams are now going to cost you a lot more money [smile]

My problem is I watch too many movies of wars gone by and wind up wanting weapons I see in use.
I always said it wasn't until I got hooked on the original Medal of Honor video game and watched Saving Private Ryan that made me start wanting to shoot the weapons used in those two. I guess thats why I always went the milsurp route over modern stuff, hence my name here. [grin]

"McQ": the Ingram M11 and Mauser C96 Broom handle.
"Where Eagles Dare": Mp40. Great scene where Clint holds off the bad guys with an MP40 in each hand,
"The Green Berets": M16A1. Loved the orginal Tiger Stripe Fatigues and I knew at that point I needed an M16. Still working on it.

In 1972 when I was 9, I went to the theater to see my first non-kid movie. Actually, it was a "Kidd" movie - Joe Kidd starring Clint Eastwood. Don Stroud played a thug named Lamar Simms, and he had one of these:

broomhandle.jpg

It took me about 30 years, but I finally got one (that's mine in the picture).

In 1972 when I was 9, I went to the theater to see my first non-kid movie. Actually, it was a "Kidd" movie - Joe Kidd starring Clint Eastwood. Don Stroud played a thug named Lamar Simms, and he had one of these:

broomhandle.jpg

It took me about 30 years, but I finally got one (that's mine in the picture).

Beautiful specimen Eddie.

I lusted after a single shot Sharps rifle after watching Valdez is Coming and finally found an original commercial hunter's buffalo rifle in .45-110

The Pulse Rifles . . .

I wouldn’t mind giving this rascal a wee-bit of a go!
===================================================

DSCN0159.jpg

Aliens II

The Pulse rifles were made of a shell with an upper casing using a .45 caliber M1 Thompson submachine gun (serial # unknown), the lower is a Remington 870 12-gauge pump shotgun with a Franchi SPAS-12 shotgun exterior put on it. Shotgun serial #V6226. Several copies of these guns were made.

I wouldn’t mind giving this rascal a wee-bit of a go!
===================================================

DSCN0159.jpg

Aliens II

The Pulse rifles were made of a shell with an upper casing using a .45 caliber M1 Thompson submachine gun (serial # unknown), the lower is a Remington 870 12-gauge pump shotgun with a Franchi SPAS-12 shotgun exterior put on it. Shotgun serial #V6226. Several copies of these guns were made.

There's many detailed plans on the 'net about how to build one of these down to the last detail, but the existing parts are VERY expensive and a lot of the exterior has to be custom fabricated. Properly built replicas using the authentic screen-used parts fetch 7-10k.

I've built a few resin replicas of these, and the "Smart Gun" that Vasquez and Frost carry, and even those are totally bad-ass!

Certainly in my top three movies of all time.

Back
Top Bottom