• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

guns and magnets

I've seen a couple of "temporary mounts" that are magnetized to hold your gun either by your side, under a table, etc...

This may be a silly question, but are there any issues using magnets to hold a firearm?

You might scratch it against the magnets

There could also be legal issues involved, with proper storage of a handgun.

You might magnetize the slide, causing your own bullets to arc back at you! (or not...)

I can't think of any weirdness it might cause, but others are more experienced than I with such things.

No, it's fine for what it is, which is pretty weak temporary bonding. If you use really strong magnets, there can be concerns with what that's doing to the fire-controls internally, but you're probably not talking about magnets that strong. Even if you are, which you're not, you're probably exerting magnetic attraction laterally, where it's unlikely to disengage any drop safeties, etc.

If you do lightly magnetize anything, it won't do anything but perhaps increase fouling from any magnetic debris in your gun. Not a major concern outside of science fiction movies. And also, shooting the gun should randomize the magnetic dipoles pretty effectively.

Also, neither brass nor lead are magnetic. If you're worried about magnetically-induced failure to feed, because the Terminator zapped your magnets with magic rays, use brass cases with lead bullets.

Science!

Last edited:

is a verb now!

qc-scienceverb-sm.png

image by questionablecontent.net

Last edited:
I believe the magnet story started when someone walked near an MRI machine and it magnatized the firing pin.

Unless you're planning to use magnets that could lift your car, you should be fine. I'm no expert, I just like perpetuating urban myths.

I believe the magnet story started when someone walked near an MRI machine and it magnatized the firing pin.

Unless you're planning to use magnets that could lift your car, you should be fine. I'm no expert, I just like perpetuating urban myths.

I think he wore a handgun into an MRI ( as patient/subject ) and had a NegDischarge.
COnsidered a complete freaky example of weird science , not likely to be repeatable.

Sounds like a possible Mythbusters idea. They love guns.

Lots have handguns have non-magnetic frames, either plastic, or stainless steel, or light alloy. I doubt it would work very well. There are alternatives, but I can't see anyone wanting Velcro on their pretty 1911.

Back
Top Bottom