• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns and kids in the home

kiver

NES Member
I was at the pediatritian the other day and she brought out a bunch of anti gun in the home propaganda. I took the info and kept my mouth shut and left after my kid got two shots in the arm. The basic line come down to "not have guns in the home if there are children". Aside from all of this, with having kids in the home how do I keep my kids safe..and keep my home and family safe. MA laws state guns need to be locked and honestly I have kept my guns in a 800lbs safe.

In the local paper there are reports of bugleries, drugs, gangs and home invasions.
Recently I had been threatend for asking a couple to please take it somewhere else when they were fighting and swearing in my driveway. I stated that there are kids here that do not need to hear or see this. He turned at me and started to tell me to F@@K off. I picked up my phone, had the kids go inside and told him if he didn't leave I would call the police. He then came torward me, his beat up girl tugging at him to stop. Luckily a neighbor had already called the police and at this time three cruisers and a bike cop approched them and chased them off. At this time I consindered this to be over.
Not more then a half hour later the man and a few of his boys began walking in front of my house staring up at me sitting in a chair. (Of course at this time I was carring a .45 in my pocket). None the less I stayed up and outside on my porch until 3am with the family inside. I will not tell you were my gun was for that night.

How do I protect my family in an emergency if my gun is in a safe at night non the less equiped with a gun lock. I could get an alarm and hope the police arrive in time to collect our bodies???? Looking for the best, safe and easiest way to get to my gun if needed. Kids are preschoolers.
Thanx for any advise...Oh moving is not an option

as soon as there is a noise in the house I am awake.

get a 12 ga and attach it to the side of your bed with velcro (sp). get a small stack on to keep one or two firearms locked up in your room as opposed to that 800lb safe in your basement. That way at night or in the am the firearm is more convenient for you to retrieve before you go to bed and you can quickly lock it up for the day when you wake up.

If using a hand gun for home defense...attach a holster to your bed frame or back of your night stand out of sight but easliy within reach as if you need to get it you will need it quickly.

Also, get a video of these thugs casing your house and file complaints with the police. That way if you have to act they will have known about the prior incidents. You'll probably still get arrested but your lawyer can use if for your defense.

I have a safe next to my bed. All you have to do is hit the combination and the top pops up and a light go's on inside it.

There are many quick-access gun boxes on the market. For example:

http://www.gunvault.com/
http://www.fortknoxtexas.com/pistolboxes.htm

And the next time your pediatrician starts that crap, don't sit there and take it. Here's what I would say if I was in your position:

1. What is your training in firearm safety?
2. Have you taken a firearms safety class?
3. Are you a firearms instructor certified by the MA State Police to teach firearms safety classes?
4. Are you a certified range safety officer?
5. Are you familiar with Mass General Law Chapter 140 Section 131L that governs storage of guns in MA?

You're not? Well I AM!

6. Does your malpractice insurance company know that you are giving out advice about a subject for which you have no training?
7. I will be contacting the Board of Registration concerning this boundary violation.

I would then walk out.

Last edited:
+1 on the quick access safe! Keep your firearm loaded but locked in the quick access safe. Keep it close to your bed. Prepare a plan for your family in case of an emergency. Teach your children responsible firearms handling, and teach them a procedure for if they do ever find a firearm. Safety is never a difficult challenge, but exercising it can be. Keep a firearm on you in your possession if you want too. Exercise every single possible option before you resort to deadly force. If someone invades your home, thats a different story and you should assume he's there to cause harm. Be Safe!

I definately would not have kept my mouth shut to the doctor. I would have educated him/her and threw the literature away right in from of her. I don't have kids, but when I do I am not letting liberal f***tards try to indoctrinate them.

I suppose everyday when they come home from school, I'll have to undo all the damage done.

I just got a small StackOn from Midway. It has an electronic key pad. I don't like it too much. It beeps pretty loud for each key press and the keypad is just a regular pad. You still need a little light to see it. Also if you flubb up pressing the keys it takes like 15 seconds to reset and you only get three tries before it locks you out. That is a long time to wait, and you still have to get the stupid combo into the safe after the waiting period. Not easy if someone is pounding on your windows or front door.

I'd get one that you can open by putting you hand on it and have access to all the keys that wont make any noise. You also wont need any light.

B

The day my doctor starts spewing anti-gun bullsh*t is the day I start looking for a new doctor.

Fortunately for us, my doctor received his training courtesy of Uncle Sam's big boat club, so I'm guessing he's a little resistant to the BS...

bunch of anti gun in the home propaganda

Any chance you could identify the source/publisher of this?

Would it be worth scanning and posting, so that when others are presented with the same, they might be prepared to respond quickly and effectively?

Switch pediatricians. They are trained for a hell of a lot of things, treating diseases/conditions, helping you raise a healthy kid, detecting abuse, but I don't believe there's any requirement or program that requires them to advise against guns. It's not illegal, but it's certainly your right to switch pediatricians for any reason, and that's plenty good enough.

When I get kids, and I take them there, I'll be sure to remind him/her that I know a hell of a lot more about medicine than he knows about guns, and we'll take it from there.

Try finding an ex-military doc or something.

Any chance you could identify the source/publisher of this?

Would it be worth scanning and posting, so that when others are presented with the same, they might be prepared to respond quickly and effectively?

Probably the American Academy of Pediatrics

Then tell them not to play any sports. Way more children die playing sports than in firearms accidents.

Just put them in a bubble until theyre 21.

Other than my main gun safe I also have this: Biometric Gun Save. It installs into the wall between two studs. When installed only about an inch protrudes out of the wall. To open it all you have to do is press one of the buttons and place your finger on the scanner pad. The whole process takes about 3 - 4 seconds. There were times when the scanner didn't accept my finger print on the first or second try. That usually happens when there is some dirt on the finger or the skin is dry. I have three different fingerprints programmed in so I can always switch the finger. There is also a manual override (code) you can use to open it if the finger print fails all together.

I am also thinking about getting this at some point InvisiVault

Last edited:
I just got a small StackOn from Midway. It has an electronic key pad. I don't like it too much. It beeps pretty loud for each key press and the keypad is just a regular pad. You still need a little light to see it. Also if you flubb up pressing the keys it takes like 15 seconds to reset and you only get three tries before it locks you out. That is a long time to wait, and you still have to get the stupid combo into the safe after the waiting period. Not easy if someone is pounding on your windows or front door.

I'd get one that you can open by putting you hand on it and have access to all the keys that wont make any noise. You also wont need any light.

B

well if some one breaks in and hears the beeping they might think someone is using the microwave

And the next time your pediatrician starts that crap, don't sit there and take it. Here's what I would say if I was in your position:

3. Are you a firearms instructor certified by the MA State Police to teach firearms safety classes?
5. Are you familiar with Mass General Law Chapter 140 Section 131L that governs storage of guns in MA?

You're not? Well I AM!

6. Does your malpractice insurance company know that you are giving out advice about a subject for which you have no training?
7. I will be contacting the Board of Registration concerning this boundary violation.

I would then walk out.

NICE,,,,, I like it

Aren't there small safes out there now with biometric locks on them? So all you have to do it touch your finger to the sensor and it opens?

Nick

bpm990d... you realize that you can turn the beep off, right?

I have two of the small ones. I can do the keypad by feel in darkness, and if you miss the first time you can redo it instantly (not 15 seconds)

Aren't there small safes out there now with biometric locks on them? So all you have to do it touch your finger to the sensor and it opens?

My experience with fingerprint readers has been that you would be far better off with a GunVault or simplex-lock type of safe.

At first, it took me 5 minutes to get my fingerprint to work on MIRCS for buying at FS. I agree with M1911, keep it simple.

I would find some literature on firearm safety, NRA is a good source, then on the next appointment I would hand her the literature and say thank you for yours now heres mine... and by the way I found a new pediatrician....

My experience with fingerprint readers has been that you would be far better off with a GunVault or simplex-lock type of safe.

Well I don't have one yet but they are allot better then they used to be.

But in my personal opinion the best home defense weapon is a real load pump action shot gun. There isn't a thug on the palnet that doesn't know that sound.

And honsetly I would rather not have to shoot someone, wouldn't want to live with that. But if it came to protecting my loved one you all know what we will do.

Also a 12 guage with No. 7 shoot is stopped by drywall but not flesh so you don't have to worry about you kids in the next room, if you end up having to take a burgler out.

Nick

I've never seen anyone void themselves due to a shotgun being racked. I don't think it's as effective a deterrent as some say. An effective defensive weapon? Sure. But I think you'd be more likely to make someone void themselves with a properly equipped AR.

I own the GunVault and it is a great unit, but eventually I will replace it with a Simplex type locking box.

The GunVault being electronic can fail on you .......... mine did, fortunately not at a time when the door was being kicked in, and the company replaced the unit free of charge.

I have used Simplex locks in commercial Real Estate for many many years, they are simple, rugged, and I have never had one fail on me.

Well I don't have one yet but they are allot better then they used to be.
My experience is as recent as two years ago. I can open a Simplex lock more reliably than I could use the fingerprint reader. YMMV.

You're not? Well I AM!

I would then walk out.

M1911 has stated it perfectly well. In any debate that you intend to win you do so by asking a question in which their answer proves that they have no experience on the subject. Followed by liability statements in #6, #7 and they will cower like the chickens that they are.

At first, it took me 5 minutes to get my fingerprint to work on MIRCS for buying at FS. I agree with M1911, keep it simple.

I cannot use my fingerprint when buying guns as it never works. I am not sure how then scanned my finger when I applied for my LTC. I guess this is why they provide people with a PIN #.

Not that it would be polite, but you could download a technical article about the proper way of designing moon landers and hand it to your pediatrician. When she says, "What's this," you can reply: "Well, since you gave me unsolicited advice about something you know nothing about, I thought I should return the favor."

(Ed. Note: Foregoing advice void if, in fact, you do know something about moon landers.)

bpm990d... you realize that you can turn the beep off, right?

I have two of the small ones. I can do the keypad by feel in darkness, and if you miss the first time you can redo it instantly (not 15 seconds)

I didn't know that. I've only had it a couple of weeks and I read through the book that came with it but I don't remember seeing anything about that. How do you turn it off?

I played around with putting in the combination incorrectly just to find out what it would do, but mine wont accept new inputs for a short period of time after the red light comes on and beeps to inform you that you hit a wrong button. It will lock you out for several minutes if you put it in improperly three times.

B

Back
Top Bottom