• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns and breakups

So I got a buddy that things are going south with his girlfriend. He needs out of the situation as he thinks she is doing drugs and stealing from her work. Why is the best course of action he should take with his guns? Should he have a friend take possession?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he is smart, he would transfer them to his friend so they don't end up in a bonded warehouse after the restraining order is issued.

So I got a buddy that things are going south with his girlfriend. He needs out of the situation as he thinks she is doing drugs and stealing from her work. Why is the best course of action he should take with his guns? Should he have a friend take possession?

Take Arnold's advice: "GET OUT!"

Giving possession of the guns will not protect them from seizure if she files for a restraining order. Moving them out of state will not protect them from seizure. She'll walk into the courthouse, and Judge Calagione will rubber stamp her RO. All she has to says it "He yells at me, he pushed me, and I'm a-scared".

If I thought that shit was headed in my direction, I'd simply vanish one day while she was at work.

Make sure you have a best buddy, a friend when you say, "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people." The only thing he asks is "Who's car we gonna' take."

Sell him your guns "on paper", transfer them to him, when it's all over buy them back "on paper"

As long as you have paper work of the sale, you no longer have any guns, go shooting with your friend as often as you like.

harry

Be as nice as you can to her while at the same time getting everything ready to get the f^$k out of there.Then one day when your all set disappear.Don't give any reason for the law to get into it. They will just mess things up.

Last edited:
Does she live with him? That makes it tougher and potentially uglier. Easiest if they have separate places, still easy if he lives at her place. Sounds like he has concerns that a break-up could at least get messy.

I assume this is in MA, so transferring more than 4 to a trusted friend or family member would require a FFL. Whether within the limits of EFA10 or via FFL, either way it's a legal sale and the guns are no longer his.

Giving possession of the guns will not protect them from seizure if she files for a restraining order. Moving them out of state will not protect them from seizure. She'll walk into the courthouse, and Judge Calagione will rubber stamp her RO. All she has to says it "He yells at me, he pushed me, and I'm a-scared".

If I thought that shit was headed in my direction, I'd simply vanish one day while she was at work.

Bam /thread!

I call tranfer thru a dealer, and a pre-emptive RO on her, after he disappears one day while she's at work.
Change cell phone number too.
Get a different car so if she tries to stalk him at work he looks like he's not there.

A freind of mine had do this, only no guns involved. She did find him within a week. She rented or borrowed a car and did a stake out on his parents house. Followed him to his new apartment, and started leaving threatening letters. RO worked out good for him in that situation.

Be as nice as you can to her while at the same time getting everything ready to get the f^$k out of there.Then one day when your all set disappear.Don't give any reason for the law to get into it. They will just mess things up.

These two posts are the most useful. If your buddy is weak and gets back in contact with her, then it's over and it'll be like he never left her.

It needs to be one and done. If it's going to be over between them it must be over completely. Crazy will always get you one way or another.

Make sure you have a best buddy, a friend when you say, "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people." The only thing he asks is "Who's car we gonna' take."

Sell him your guns "on paper", transfer them to him, when it's all over buy them back "on paper"

As long as you have paper work of the sale, you no longer have any guns, go shooting with your friend as often as you like.

harry

THIS^

Do it now. better yet don't tell her you did it.

Work acquaintance of mine many years ago (mid 1990s) ended up with at total win in this situation with his bat shit crazy soon to be ex wife. He had many guns and handguns. In his safe. In his basement. Crazy wife never wanted anything to do with shooting sports only knew he had some handguns and didn't even have the combo to the safe.
Anyhoo........he sold all of his guns to his dad. on paper. physically moved them out of the house to his dads place. He did it while she was at work and never said a thing. Needless to say......they get into an argument a few weeks later and she calls the cops and said he threatened her with a handgun. Cops show up.......she claims he pointed a gun at her in the argument and then put the gun away in the safe. he says "what guns......I sold all of them to my dad 2 months ago". Her face goes stark white and she vomits. He opens the safe for the cops and all that is there is the sales receipts. She leaves in cuffs for a false report.

WIN!

get rid of the guns.........now......don't tell her you did.

THIS^

Do it now. better yet don't tell her you did it.

Work acquaintance of mine many years ago (mid 1990s) ended up with at total win in this situation with his bat shit crazy soon to be ex wife. He had many guns and handguns. In his safe. In his basement. Crazy wife never wanted anything to do with shooting sports only knew he had some handguns and didn't even have the combo to the safe.
Anyhoo........he sold all of his guns to his dad. on paper. physically moved them out of the house to his dads place. He did it while she was at work and never said a thing. Needless to say......they get into an argument a few weeks later and she calls the cops and said he threatened her with a handgun. Cops show up.......she claims he pointed a gun at her in the argument and then put the gun away in the safe. he says "what guns......I sold all of them to my dad 2 months ago". Her face goes stark white and she vomits. He opens the safe for the cops and all that is there is the sales receipts. She leaves in cuffs for a false report.

WIN!

get rid of the guns.........now......don't tell her you did.

nice win! It is really sad that crazies know to use guns to their advantage in these situations.

Last edited:

harry

That's wicked good advice. It was also a pretty good movie lol.

After an long term unstable relationship a close friend decided he wanted a divorce. He told his wife his intentions and she told him to get out. That day the first thing he did was load his guns into his car, call a family friend with an LTC and transfer them to him with minutes to spare before the local gun shop closed.

The next day things seemed to calm down a bit. They were friendly with each other. He went back to the house to move a few things out and she decided to pick a fight and call the cops on him. When he went outside to wait for the cops the very first thing they asked him was if there were guns in the house. He was VERY glad to be able to say no and the cops were equally happy too that they weren't walking into a potentially dangerous situation.

While it was a pain to do the transfer it was nothing compared to the scenario that could have happened had he waited to transfer his guns. Don't wait. Transfer them, get the relationship worked out or terminated and get them back later. It was the best decision he every made and no regrets.

Guess it would suck if you have AR's or non-Mass compliant stuff. Hard to transfer those these days through a dealer and/or if you are out of FA-10's. :(

Last edited:
Some of the replies are so retarded. "And don't tell her". JFC, who would be so stupid?

Big question is whether or not they live together.

If they dont live together this gets easier.

Bottom line is that you have little to no rights as a dude

Lawyer up in advance

Make a plan with your lawyer and stick to it.

Change locks on house

Have cameras and postings of monitoring on premises and inside.

Every situation is diferent.....and it may cost you a lot of money to get rid of her in legal fees if it ends up in court......sometimes its cheaper to "help" her get her own apartment with security deposit/etc than it does to go to court........even the most straightforward court case is going to cost you a MINIMUM of 5 grand not to mention damage to your reputation and stress.

Jeezus, now we need lawyers and FFLs to dump a girlfriend? I have dumped many a crazy in my life and never had a problem. I'm glad to unhappily married

Sell HER to a human trafficking ring in like Yemen, swear you haven't seen her in weeks.

Obviously, I am just kidding and would never truly advocate committing such a heinous crime

[thinking]

Guess it would suck if you have AR's or non-Mass compliant stuff. Hard to transfer those these days through a dealer and/or if you are out of FA-10's. :(
Pull the slide or upper receiver and hand them to a friend, then all your doing is a frame transfer through the FFL. A frame isn't a firearm according to MA unless it can go bang so it's legal to do.

where's the "break up with her and move on with life/non-insane overreaction" option?

It's Massachusetts where firearms are involved where a (presumably) White Male is involved. He's already guilty. No overreaction there.

I'd rather break the FA10 Limit than have any firearms in my name. Even the guy that did 180 eFA10 transfers didn't really get jammed up for that. He instead got jammed by the ATF for acting like an FFL without the proper license.

Jeezus, now we need lawyers and FFLs to dump a girlfriend? I have dumped many a crazy in my life and never had a problem. I'm glad to unhappily married

It's a different time from when you were dating. No more draggin the wimens around by the hair and clubbing them.

Pull the slide or upper receiver and hand them to a friend, then all your doing is a frame transfer through the FFL. A frame isn't a firearm according to MA unless it can go bang so it's legal to do.

The AG has declared them to be prohibited items and an FFL puts their federal and state license at risk by completing the transfer.

The AG has declared them to be prohibited items and an FFL puts their federal and state license at risk by completing the transfer.

Has she come out officially about the frame transfer business?

buy a couple day cruise tickets, don't go at the last moment. Take time to clean up house of your shit. File RO first. Came out as gay (she probably already suspected from your AR collection) Take a long vacation out of the country to Russia to sample mail order brides until shit blows over at home.

This is expensive, but so is making bad decisions, i.e. moving in with crazy chick doing drugs.

harry

Wont work if you have a restraining order against you. At that time, you are a PP.

Back
Top Bottom