Guns and Apartments

So I've been in the market for an apartment for my fiancee and myself the past few weeks. I was wondering if any of you felt that someone should be upfront about gun ownership since they would be brought into what is the owners property. Or if its none of their beeswax and not to bring it up unless there is something specific in the lease agreement.

Last edited:
So I've been in the market for a 1 BR apartment for my fiancee and myself the past few weeks. I was wondering if any of you felt that someone should be upfront about gun ownership since they would be brought into what is the owners property. Or if its none of their beeswax and not to bring it up unless there is something specific in the lease agreement.
WTF?

What good do you think could come from you talking about guns with your landlord?

Don't ask, don't tell.

Would you disclose to your potential landlord you and your fiance's sexual preferences and fantasies?

Unless there is something in the tenancy at will document or your lease about firearms, then of course disclosing it would be as silly as disclosing that you and your girl like to have sex 3-4 times a week.

[smile]

So I've been in the market for an apartment for my fiancee and myself the past few weeks. I was wondering if any of you felt that someone should be upfront about gun ownership since they would be brought into what is the owners property. Or if its none of their beeswax and not to bring it up unless there is something specific in the lease agreement.

i would show it to them right before signing the lease... not the actual gun, bit a picture of a few of them.

WTF?

What good do you think could come from you talking about guns with your landlord?

Don't ask, don't tell.
Thats what I think too!!! As long as they are stored safely, and comply with the storage laws, it is really none of anyones business.

Tell him nothing and if he does find out what's he gonna do? IANAL but I'm pretty sure that he can't evict you for owning firearms. If you sign a lease and the lease specifically says no firearms(which I doubt is legal) there's not much he can do. If you are a tenant with no lease you're a month to month tenant and the landlord can evict you for whatever reason he wants.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't planned on bringing anything up. First time with a lease and all that, just unsure if there was some silly law, can never tell in this state.

Tell him nothing and if he does find out what's he gonna do? IANAL but I'm pretty sure that he can't evict you for owning firearms. If you sign a lease and the lease specifically says no firearms(which I doubt is legal) there's not much he can do. If you are a tenant with no lease you're a month to month tenant and the landlord can evict you for whatever reason he wants.

I would argue that it may be legal to say no guns on the lease, but I-am-also-NAL so who knows. But I think as a property owners their rights are pretty solid.

FOR THE OP: In either case, don't ask, don't tell - replace the word "guns" with the word "fishing poles" in your OP and see how silly it sounds. Gun ownership is normal and healthy, and the anti's have us on our toes for thinking like this.

My landlord and none of my neighbors have any idea. I thought about telling him but then decided that no good could come from it, especially because I'm not sure where he stands on the issue. I don't want to ruin an otherwise good business relationship.

@ Mike - From my experiences, landlords can put whatever they want in the lease. It's your job to argue and get the BS stuff removed prior to signing your life away. Once you sign it, intentionally disobeying something major is a good way to end up in small claims court.

Yikes, just a question. But um, thanks.
Think about it. Most people in MA are anti-gun. What do you think a landlord is going to think (and do) if a potential renter comes to them and starts talking about guns?

Ah, what the heck. Go ahead, tell them. What could possibly go wrong?

If I was a landlord and a potential tenant voluntarily told me he's be storing guns in the apartment, I'd think he had very poor judgement and make my decision accordingly.

My landlord and none of my neighbors have any idea. I thought about telling him but then decided that no good could come from it, especially because I'm not sure where he stands on the issue. I don't want to ruin an otherwise good business relationship.

@ Mike - From my experiences, landlords can put whatever they want in the lease. It's your job to argue and get the BS stuff removed prior to signing your life away. Once you sign it, intentionally disobeying something major is a good way to end up in small claims court.

That's what I had assumed - this sounds similar to my relationship with my landlord. I tried the same with my neighbors, but every time I go to or come back from the range I run into them in the hallway carrying rifle cases [thinking].

Think about it. Most people in MA are anti-gun. What do you think a landlord is going to think (and do) if a potential renter comes to them and starts talking about guns?

Ah, what the heck. Go ahead, tell them. What could possibly go wrong?

Easy killer. If you'll read my other response you'll see I never really had any intent to disclose anything. No need to go on the offensive.

Especially if you have a Tactical Cactus[SUP]tm[/SUP] for clearing your guns...

Please tell me more... googled it, and I keep finding a band named this, and a gun store called Cactus Tactical.

Is this one of those things where instead of triple checking your weapon for clear, you just assume that you cleared it, then point your gun at it and hit the banger button and hope it doesn't go off, but oh well if it does, because you caught the bullet?

http://www.snailtraps.com/checkit.php

Last edited:
Please tell me more... googled it, and I keep finding a band named this, and a gun store called Cactus Tactical.

Is this one of those things where instead of triple checking your weapon for clear, you just assume that you cleared it, then point your gun at it and hit the banger button and hope it doesn't go off, but oh well if it does, because you caught the bullet?

Yeah, you've got the idea. there was a thread here on NES that I can't find where someone wanted to have a clearing bucket/barrel in their house and was looking for suggestions on designs and materials. One of the guys came up with the Tactical Cactus - it would be functional and attractive.

Especially if you have a Tactical Cactus[SUP]tm[/SUP] for clearing your guns...

First:[laugh2][rofl] +1

Swiiing and a miss![wink]

Yeah, you've got the idea. there was a thread here on NES that I can't find where someone wanted to have a clearing bucket/barrel in their house and was looking for suggestions on designs and materials. One of the guys came up with the Tactical Cactus - it would be functional and attractive.

I've heard about ranges and some gun shops that have the bucket set up. Now I have to find this thread.

I would argue that it may be legal to say no guns on the lease, but I-am-also-NAL so who knows. But I think as a property owners their rights are pretty solid.

FOR THE OP: In either case, don't ask, don't tell - replace the word "guns" with the word "fishing poles" in your OP and see how silly it sounds. Gun ownership is normal and healthy, and the anti's have us on our toes for thinking like this.

I would expect if there is nothing in the lease then there is nothing they could do. I think they could very well say 'no firearms' on the lease - if it went to court it would probably depend on the judge.

From what I have heard property owners' rights usually get shit on whenever they go to court. The judge usually sides with the poor disadvantaged tenant who just needs some shelter. Of course, those liberal judges might make an exception for an evil gun nut.

As an apartment dweller and a gun owner:

1. Don't tell the landlord. He doesn't need to know what size underwear you've got on, and he doesn't need to know if you own guns. Telling people you have something worth stealing, or telling people you have something they may have an irrational fear of, is just a waste of time.

2. Read the lease carefully. My first apartment had a "and the landlord can make up whatever rules he wants" clause. If you see one of those, either have it removed before you sign or find a different apartment. Thinks like that _may_ not be legally enforcable, but I'd rather not find out.

3. Hide your guns. Seriously, the landlord has access to your apartment. The maintainence guy has access to your apartment. Who knows how well those guys secure their keys, or who else may even have a key to your apartment. In the last four years I've had six instances where I know SOMEONE was in my apartment while I was at work and the landlord did NOT notify me that he'd be doing work in my unit ahead of time (as required by my lease).

I don't believe there is a gunsafe (that costs less than a house) which can't be broken into in 9 hours by a determined person with access to power tools. Good fences make good neighbors, and so good hiding places make for good maintainence men. Don't leave anything in plain sight.

4. If you have a 'home defense' gun, make sure you always secure it. Personally I find leaving my keys in the lock of my GunVault works well; if I'm home the case is open with the key in it; when I leave I grab my keys and either secure the gun or carry it. Figure out what works for you, and make sure that you can't accidentally leave a gun unsecured if you're late for work and thinking about a hundred other things.

I've heard about ranges and some gun shops that have the bucket set up. Now I have to find this thread.

I believe it was a BBQ or open house at Acme Arms. They had pictures of the shop and there was a large cactus in the corner. Viewers of that picture promptly labeled it a "Tactical Cactus". They come in handy.

I was just back from the range and cleaning a couple of guns in the garage. The landlord stopped by to see how the new housepaint looked. I came out of the garage to chat, left an EBG carbine on the bench, a Mosin leaning against it, and had my carry on my waist. After talking for a minute, the landlord shifted position, saw the Mosin and said "You have a gun?" I replied "Yes, a couple, just got back from the range, they go in the safe when I finish cleaning." He said "Oh…." End of conversation...

Back
Top Bottom