Guns and Ammo 2018 Best States for gun owners.

NJ sucks and is terrible but the amount of misinformation you guys keep posting is ridiculous. That’s not true.

You are required a permit to purchase for each handgun you wish to purchase. That’s solely for purchasing handguns. It has nothing to do with longguns and nothing to do with ownership.

You need an FPID to purchase longguns and that process is much like the process to obtain an FID or LTC in MA.

And again, it’s for PURCHASING.

Already own guns and move to NJ? Inherit guns? Nothing is required as long as the guns are NJ legal.
Thank you for the correction. I changed "own" to "buy".

I also added something I forgot to mention which is that it is essentially IMPOSSIBLE to get a license to carry a firearm in NJ.

Don

I found the rankings online and it didn't rank any state but listed them alphabetically. Can you post your source?

Gun Laws By State: The Complete Guide (updated 2018)

Here's Connecticut. Maine, btw, got 5 stars, as good as you can get.

Subject Handguns Long Guns Notes
Permit required Yes Yes Policy is Shall Issue due to Court rulings.
Purchase permit required Yes Yes There is a 14 day waiting period to purchase long guns.
Registration of firearm Yes Yes Sales and serial numbers are recorded. Does not apply to out of state sales.
Open carry allowed Yes Partial Requires permit for handgun. There is no law regarding long guns and open carry.
Background checks on private gun sales required Yes Yes Sale must be through licensed dealer.
Magazine size restriction Yes Yes Magazine limited to 10 rounds.
Main article: Connecticut gun laws
Connecticut laws rating - three stars??? Who would have thunk it.
Yes. November issue of Gun and Ammo page 104

Is it still true that you can't pump your own gas in NJ (not a joke) ?
"We don't encourage self-help."​
The attendants are generally polite and energetic enough.
But a big station during slow times will block off some sets of pumps,
to encourage you to use the ones nearest the office,
so the lone attendant doesn't have to run all over the place.

I have purchased gas on the NJ TPKE during very busy times. (I went to engineering school in Hoboken) I've pumped gas myself. The attendants have appreciated it.

For what its worth ARLINGTON MA requires full service gas stations.

Is it still true that you can't pump your own gas in NJ (not a joke) ?

True^

New Jersey and Oregon are the only U.S. states that currently ban self-service gas stations. The purpose of these laws was to protect consumers and gas station owners from costly, and possibly deadly, accidents.
Meaning the state legislature thinks everyone is too stupid and can't be trusted to do it themselves.
However, my buddy in NJ says the law is really the "Illegal Immigrant Employment Protection Act"

List is still kinda crap. NH cannot be "worse" than FL is. FL doesn't even f***ing allow open carry. [laugh]

Also, by virtue of what just happened in VT, it's not reasonable to have VT still "ahead" of Maine.

-Mike

The worst thing about VT is that its in a state of change. November is going to be huge. If GOVT can unite the freedom loving people of VT and get the correct candidates voted in. The crap that happened at the beginning of the year will get reversed.
However if they fail, i expect it to get much worse, starting with an AWB of some flavor. The folks in congress there made it clear that this is just a start.

Stay tuned ladies and gentlemen. Its looking to get ugly as i don't think GOVT has enough supporters.

Last edited:
The worst thing about VT is that its in a state of change. November is going to be huge. If GOVT can unite the freedom loving people of VT and get the correct candidates voted in. The crap that happened at the beginning of the year will get reversed.
However if they fail, i expect it to get much worse, starting with an AWB of some flavor. The folks in congress there made it clear that this is just a start.

Stay tuned ladies and gentlemen. Its looking to get ugly as i don't think GOVT has enough supporters.
The biggest problem there is that though there are a high percentage of gun owners in Vermont, most of them don’t seem to understand the correlation between conservatism and being pro-gun, mostly because for decades the rights of gun owners had been left alone, if not respected. As such, many gun owners still think its safe to have a Democrat majority in both houses of the state legislature as long as there are democrat lawmakers who profess to be progun. I don’t know what else it’s going to take for them to realize this is a thing of the past. I hope they figure it out before it’s too late, if it’s not too late already.

Agreed. Especially with respect to VT. VT should drop to at least 35th based on the ass-hattery that took place there this year, and the extreme likelyhood that it's going to continue to get worse there for gun owners for the forseeable future..

yeah, and I wonder why they get 5 stars with the mag size restrictions.

New Jersey is better than Massachusetts???

I don't think so.

It's impossible for most people to get a CCW in NJ.
I stop taking a list serious when I see NJ above MA.

It's not even safe to drive by the state (following all laws), let alone own a gun there.

Back
Top Bottom