• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guns Account for 1/3 of Increase in Suicide

MaverickNH

NES Member

“Data show that about 35 percent of "added" suicides since 1999 are attributable to firearms, compared with 53 percent added suffocation deaths and 12 percent "other." In other words, firearms can explain, at most, about a third of the increase.”

F5E3004B-BCBF-448F-820A-D2B768155E08.png

Most likely due to prescription drug enforcement and everyone on Etsy buying up all the 550 paracord for bracelets. Guns are just another accessible tool for those who have already made up their mind.

All jokes aside a fragile generation is being raised behind us with phd’s in sensitivity. In my day bullying didn’t equal suicide, it was countered with a punch in the nose. If it’s veterans with ptsd then let’s stop worrying about not breaking up an illegal family who shouldn’t have even been here and instead focus on keeping our American citizens families whole.
More money spent on studies rather than solutions.

I have no doubt the use of firearms increases the "success rate" of suicide attempts. It would make sense that some portion of suicides in a country such as the USA could be attributable to the ease of access to firearms. That doesn't mean shit insofar as justification for limiting law abiding people's access to firearms.

Firearms are a methodology, not a cause.

Sure, but let's not kid ourselves. Many people survive serious suicide attempts and go on to live full lives. When firearms are the methodology, that outcome is significantly less likely. This is pretty common sense, and couple that with the access to firearms in the USA, it follows that we shouldn't entirely ignore the effect of firearms on suicide when dealing with suicide as a public health issue. I'm a big proponent of gun stores providing literature, or even manufacturers providing literature in the original packaging, voluntarily.

2 big things is a lack of purpose, aka: a good hards day of work which all humans need, and not being able to handle rejection/loss. When all these kids are protected w/ participation trophies until they make it to high school and then they get dumped by their first girlfriend, combine first taste of loss/humiliation and throw in the hormones of puberty, I can see it.

Sure, but let's not kid ourselves. Many people survive serious suicide attempts and go on to live full lives. When firearms are the methodology, that outcome is significantly less likely. This is pretty common sense, and couple that with the access to firearms in the USA, it follows that we shouldn't entirely ignore the effect of firearms on suicide when dealing with suicide as a public health issue. I'm a big proponent of gun stores providing literature, or even manufacturers providing literature in the original packaging, voluntarily.
They're definitely more effective, but they're still just a method.

As for firearms availability in the U.S., they're actually less available to most people. There are more guns than ever, but they're owned by fewer households.

Most suicides ive seen are firearm
Nationally, the rate has stayed at about 51% for decades.

The majority of the ones I’ve responded to were hangings or overdoses. The most important thing is getting the person in crisis the help they need. Don’t be afraid to talk to someone that may be in crisis. The signs are there.

South Korea and Japan have some of the highest suicide rates in the world. Civilian ownership of firearms is almost unknown.
Life causes death. If we just aborted everyone there would be no suicides. Makes as much sense as these statistics.

South Korea and Japan have some of the highest suicide rates in the world. Civilian ownership of firearms is almost unknown.
Life causes death. If we just aborted everyone there would be no suicides. Makes as much sense as these statistics.

There's an idea... There's no such thing as suicide, just post-birth abortion.

Does anyone really think the suicide rate would drop significantly if guns magically went away ? They will just find another way to off themselves.

Weird, actually. The ones that I've known personally have actually been mostly hangings. Three hangings and one firearm.

In the past two years three people I know of committed suicide, all three by hanging. Surprised that more people don’t do the hose connected to the tailpipe or leave the car running in the garage. That has to be easier/less painful than hanging oneself.

not looking at the data. Just going off the title. Guns do not account for a 1?3 increase in suicide. Idiot parents raising snowflakes account for the increase.

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly but it looks like the data just shows that suicide rates increased for mostly younger people around the same time as the rise of online social media.

There have been multiple studies showing that people who use social media more often are more likely to be diagnosed with depression, so there could very well be a link there. You can Google "people who use social media more likely to suffer depression" and come up with several results showing this.

Part of living in a free country is the freedom to take one’s own life.

If you choose to use a firearm? That’s your freedom of choice.

Who am I to say, no you can’t do it that way, you need to find another method?

Yes it’s a tragedy we have suicides in this country. What would be the alternative?

Other than to restrict everyones rights?

Does anyone really think the suicide rate would drop significantly if guns magically went away ? They will just find another way to off themselves.
There are 2 in this thread, possibly the OP and the guy that thinks a pamphlet in a firearm case is going to stop bad thoughts.

In the past two years three people I know of committed suicide, all three by hanging. Surprised that more people don’t do the hose connected to the tailpipe or leave the car running in the garage. That has to be easier/less painful than hanging oneself.
Would the low exhaust emissions from modern cars be enough to do the job, or just make you a veg? I would think a pre-catalytic converter vehicle would be more efficient. Not that I've ever considered it, just wondering, I haven't heard of tailpipe suicide in recent years. A girl in my high school class died when she passed out drunk in an idling car in the winter, mid 70's.

Would the low exhaust emissions from modern cars be enough to do the job, or just make you a veg? I would think a pre-catalytic converter vehicle would be more efficient. Not that I've ever considered it, just wondering, I haven't heard of tailpipe suicide in recent years. A girl in my high school class died when she passed out drunk in an idling car in the winter, mid 70's.

Still plenty of carbon monoxide....

I think that kid in MA that killed himself because his girlfriend cajoled him into doing it ended up doing a tailpipe job.

-Mike

The first colleague of mine to commit suicide did it with a fifth of vodka and an idling car in a closed garage.

He had been demoted two pay grades, gotten into a fist fight with the contractor building the new home his wife insisted on, and his wife had left him.

The agency, in their wisdom after demoting him, put him on an armed post with two rifles, two shotguns, a handgun, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition. When they realized what could have happened if he had decided he wasn't going out alone, you couldn't have driven a sewing needle up their collective sphincters with a sledge hammer.

This study is more propaganda to try and disarm us. Make no mistake. The tool is not the cause or the problem.

Have suicides decreased or are they increasing? Seems like they are? So, what has changed? Firearms have been present in our society for since its inception!

What has changed is people living less meaningful lives getting hooked on drugs and the left destroying the family unit and the church in their unending quest for power and control over every aspect of our lives.

Back
Top Bottom