Gunroom

Quick question. New house and I have been given a designated gun room. There are no windows in the room and just one door. My question is if I add a locking door knob does that room then become legal to store guns inside of outside of them safe. Like for example on display.

I am building one right now in my basement (8'x10'). I will still keep trigger locks on the rifles and the handguns in a locked Pelican case.. Cause Massatwoshits.
Legally? Someone will chime in soon enough that you are risking it if there were an "event" relating to proper storage.
Mine is pretty secure with 3/4" plywood walls 12" on center stud framing, and class 1 deadbolt lock with plate steel backing.

Quick question. New house and I have been given a designated gun room. There are no windows in the room and just one door. My question is if I add a locking door knob does that room then become legal to store guns inside of outside of them safe. Like for example on display.

That'a good question, and a problem I hope to some day have myself. IANAL, but I saw this blurb from a law website:

"Massachusetts is the only state that requires that all firearms be stored with a locking device in place when the firearms are not in use. The state bars storing or keeping any firearm unless it is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device. This requirement does not apply to any firearm “carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.”

That's still kind of vague, but I would think the windowless room would count as a "locked container", but who knows. There are safe doors that you could buy, but you're looking at at around a grand. On the up shot, I don't think MA specs out the safe or container requirements. CA says a legal gun safe requires 12ga steel enclosure and 3 bolt mechanical lock for the opening end. Still, you'd probably want to look into tamper-resistant hinges on that door.

I feel like the consensus here has always been that a locked closet would not be ok, though I don't think the letter of the law supports that view, in a strict sense. It would suck to be the test case.

I'd probably ask an actual lawyer before I decided to go that route.

imageedit_1_8413742847.jpg

Not my pic, stole from the web.

This work?

Locking display cases or racks in the room. Door, even if a vault door, isn't enough because a locked room is no longer considered a "container" thanks to shitty MA judges.

I would make sure your grade 1 deadbolt (btw, it is ANSI Grade, not Class) is something high security like ASSA Abloy or Medco so that any miscreant has to leave evidence of physical breachment and there is no chance of mysterious entry indistinguishable from leaving the door unlocked.
Door, even if a vault door, isn't enough because a locked room is no longer considered a "container" thanks to shitty MA judges.
I doubt a vault door to a dedicated room would fail to cut it. The judges mentioned something about thwarting all but the most determined, and I expect a vault door would make the grade.

The case where the door failed was when a defendant tried to claim the used the privacy lock on their bedroom as the mechanism to secure a gun stored therein. This goes in the file labeled either "and I have a bridge to sell you" or "yeah, right".

Last edited:
I don’t think it would fly here, but if you built a “cage” and locked it the. That should suffice
Maybe search Craigslist for a used / free dog kennel and put that in the room. You’d need one with a top and bottom though

imageedit_1_8413742847.jpg

...This work?
Only if stored unloaded.

And even if a loaded gun's trigger was also locked up,
it would only be legal if the longarm couldn't be unloaded without unlocking a lock.

In particular, there's an NESer who stores a loaded tube-magazine shotgun over his couch,
using a car shotgun mount bolted to the wall,
which encases the entire receiver in a locking steel box.

However, even a child can remove the ammo from that model shotgun
by unscrewing the magazine end cap, which is completely exposed.

Back
Top Bottom