• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunbroker transfers - are LGS ok with this?

What does Wayfair have to do with GB.. No idea what MFS, DTE are :)

So basically GB is acting as the tax collector for the dealers.

I guess the thing I don't get is that out of state businesses are required to collect tax if sales to this state( or any other state?) exceeds a certain amount, I think it was $5k.. So if some backwater dealer in WV has some rare and unique C&R pistol and the guy has never sold anything to any MA resident, GB will do it for him even though he is not required to collect,.. It should be up to the MA resident to claim out of state purchases on the year end rape sheet.

Ok.. Where is the sale taking place, in other words after buying a pistol, do you send the money to GB and GB pays the dealer?

No wonder prices are so high on GB, all the taxes and fees.

I will list my BNIB KAC 11.5 upper with a KAC carrier and chrome bolt for $6k, should clear like $800 after everything is said and done lol
Some dealers will write in the description to contact them to not pay taxes.

Basically, send a check directly to the guy.

What does Wayfair have to do with GB.. No idea what MFS, DTE are :)

So basically GB is acting as the tax collector for the dealers.

Yes, Wayfair basically forces the issue. GB, Ebay, etc, ad nauseum all do it now. As a unit they handle too much $ to be Wayfair exempt etc.

MFS, Deli Ticket Emporium etc. Separate thing. Basically huge generic gun shops that people (usually) stop going to once they graduate.

I guess the thing I don't get is that out of state businesses are required to collect tax if sales to this state( or any other state?) exceeds a certain amount, I think it was $5k.. So if some backwater dealer in WV has some rare and unique C&R pistol and the guy has never sold anything to any MA resident, GB will do it for him even though he is not required to collect,.. It should be up to the MA resident to claim out of state purchases on the year end rape sheet

Wayfair changed all that. Bottom line- because they touch the money GB is on the hook.

If you use a telephone GB is not charging and you deal with seller direct. Game changah kehd.

Unless its some fat pig like puds PSA or some other shithouse big remote.

Ok.. Where is the sale taking place, in other words after buying a pistol, do you send the money to GB and GB pays the dealer?

No wonder prices are so high on GB, all the taxes and fees.

Not sure how the $ gets handled but GB is touching the transaction and they collect.

But prices are that way because market, not GB. The market you knew before covid is gone.

I will list my BNIB KAC 11.5 upper with a KAC carrier and chrome bolt for $6k, should clear like $800 after everything is said and done lol

There is a cottage industry involved in selling shit like that to CA people. They go completely f***ing bonkers over it. It's like Japanese and Costa.....

View: https://youtu.be/O3CxkhMVva4

I always reach out to the local FFL to first ask if they are ok with the transfer and then to let them know the deal was done and to either send their FFL or expect an inbound.

As for which FFL. I've used:
One who was an at home FFL (has been several years, so not sure he still is still operating)
I've used MFS a lot since they are so close to me
Great Roads when they were still in business
And a couple at the Mill

The SOP is always the same for any of them though. Reach out first... for some common items, I'll tell them the price I can get and if they can come close, then I'll buy through them. Every single time, they've said that the price I'm getting is better than their wholesale/distributor cost and to go ahead and buy it.

It's not rocket science.. I know the crap they go through inbounding a gun, especially if it's coming from an individual. While I'm always very clear with people sending stuff in to include their DL, contact info and all my contact info, sometimes people forget. That's a bunch of wasted time and space for an FFL to try and figure out why a gun just showed up in their shop, and then have to store it while chasing it all down.

TPNES is happy to receive and transfer to you a gunbroker or other retailer purchase you make. The general etiquette is to send TPNES a message giving a heads up, and arranging that retailer to contact to receive a copy of the FFL they are sending it to (as they also must include a copy of their FFL to send with the item). It is up to you to monitor the shipping/tracking, and setting up a time that is convenient for all involved to do the transfer, and of course paying the transfer fee.
The sender is not required to have/be an FFL, the receiver is. Having said that, a lot of shops require the sender to be an FFL. Their shop their rules.

The sender is not required to have/be an FFL, the receiver is. Having said that, a lot of shops require the sender to be an FFL. Their shop their rules.
FFL to FFL is not legally required, but it's always preferred and a completely reasonable requirement to do a transfer from an unknown seller.
Tracking down/ hounding some out of state rando shitbag for a copy of his driver's license after the gun has been received makes the transaction a complete waste of time.

could it be the op felt a little uneasy about having a shop do the transfer for something he didn't buy there and interpreted things in a different way...body language, tone, etc.?

I've had luck with some Gunbroker FFLs agreeing to send just a pistol frame to a local MA dealer to transfer, keep the hi cap mags to themselves to sell to their local customers, and send everything else my way for the self eFA10 registration like a gud boi. Cause yah, in MA it's just easier that way lol.

there is 1 (one) guy in there that indeed always behaves like he is granting you a favor by even looking at you or god forbid you ask him anything.
other 2-3 seemed to be ok to me. (almost) any shop has such individuals.
I live close by but always had a good experience. You just need to there a reason. Doesn't matter what what they say , if the price is right and available.

I've had luck with some Gunbroker FFLs agreeing to send just a pistol frame to a local MA dealer to transfer, keep the hi cap mags to themselves to sell to their local customers, and send everything else my way for the self eFA10 registration like a gud boi. Cause yah, in MA it's just easier that way lol.
I haven't had that luck. I'm guessing u had to negotiate that w split shipping cost?

I haven't had that luck. I'm guessing u had to negotiate that w split shipping cost?
They get to keep the 2-3 factory mags to themselves and I paid extra shipping for the extra package with the slide and barrel direct to my house on top of the shipping costs for the lower frame in original box to the local FFL.

I'm in NH but the shop owner I transfer at basically says he is more than happy to collect $25 on transfers for stuff he doesn't need to stock, order, or warranty. His store policy is - "ship it". I think the only thing he once complained about was people using his store like a warehouse and not picking it up for months (odd, but you'd have to guess a legal issue arose they are sorting out).

I still call if I haven't sent anything there in awhile, "everything over there still the same with transfers? - if so gonna send a few" - "yep" - "OK thanks". A quick check and I don't waste time telling them what, who, or anything...

Typically the 1st time they call I explain I'll be in when the other 2 or 3 guns show up. I like to at least buy enough to check all the boxes, "rifle", "pistol", "other".

What folks are saying is true. Some places don't want to deal with transferring what they didn't sell, some it's a wierd ask permission thing, but plenty of them see themselves clearly in the business of transferring for a fee too.

Back
Top Bottom