• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gunbroker transfers - are LGS ok with this?

Never had any issues. Always just give my FFL a heads up and they’re very polite, friendly and helpful (Mass Firearms, fwiw).

MFS has some decent handgun classes, but their store is not great. Not that I was looking to buy any in MA guns, I was given a lecture that any post 94 lower is totally illegal and they don't sell them there. Some wildly overpriced pre-94 ban stuff. Meh... 🤷‍♂️

MFS has some decent handgun classes, but their store is not great. Not that I was looking to buy any in MA guns, I was given a lecture that any post 94 lower is totally illegal and they don't sell them there. Some wildly overpriced pre-94 ban stuff. Meh... 🤷‍♂️
That’s a pretty hilarious thing to hear in a store that was selling post-94 lowers in 2018, you know, after that whole Maura thing.

As far as I know, all the States that force them to.

It didn't start long ago, maybe a year or 2 ago.
U.S. Supreme Court decision in 2018, the case of South Dakota v. Wayfair. That decision declared that the old requirement (from Quill Corp. v. North Dakota in 1992) that a business had to have a "physical presence” in a state in order to for the state to require them to collect that state's sales tax was now out dated. Because of the internet, businesses do not need a “physical presence” in order to do substantial business in a particular state. Since very few people actual pay “use tax” (what you’re suppose to pay instead of sales tax when you buy something without paying sales tax, usually by buying it out of sate), the SJC said the states were losing significant revenue due to the increase in internet sales. So they decided that sates with sales tax can now force businesses to collect the state’s sales tax when they sell to addresses in that state, even if they have no physical presence in that state.

In order to not over burden small businesses, most states have a carve out for businesses doing less than a certain dollar amount of business with residents of the state. For MA, that’s $100,000. If you are a small out of state business that does less than $100,000 of business with MA residents, you don’t have to collect sales tax. (Technically the resident should declare and pay the 6.25% usage tax.). That’s way you’ll see some folks still not charging MA sales tax, particular in the firearms related shops. Because of the relative small number of gun aficionados in MA, many of the smaller/boutique shops just don’t do that much business in MA, so they don’t have to collect sales tax. (Note: the $100,000 limit only applies to out of state businesses, if your business resides in MA, you have to collect sales tax on dollar one.)

Then of course you have The CMP, which due to its special government chartered non-profit status doesn’t have to collect sales tax. Just remember to pay that 6.25% use tax when you get your new M1 Garand:rolleyes:.

Exactly. I'd think most FFLs LIKE to do transfers. They make $20-30 for filling out a form for 10-20 minutes. That's like $100/hr and they didn't have to take up time procuring or storage space on inventory to make that money. Plus they are getting someone who's forced to browse their retail selection for that time, and likley buy something.

Tucker Carlson Voice: "No, it's not". You're assuming theres no cost to the labor, real estate, lights, licensing
fees, taxes, and all the other bullshit. don't forget all the staff bullshit if they actually have employees.

Also while a lot of newbs come in through transfers, 80% of them are professional skinflints who aren't buying shit at retail, you're never
getting anything out of them other than the transfer fee, although if they like you they might be nice enough to refer someone else to your
shop etc. Good shops will welcome business from these people just as much as anyone else because of that alone, even if their direct
value is trash because they don't buy anything- they might send other people who will buy stuff.

It depends on the buisiness model of the shop, how busy it is, and so on. And time management of the guy running the thing.

the Time Cost Value of transfers for some shops is garbage...... but they can just say so and just not do them. [rofl]

I had a local gun store tell me they wouldn't do a transfer on a gun if they already had that gun in their store.

I told them it was a custom rifle that I wanted shipped in.

The person at the counter asked, "How much does it cost?"

My reply was, "Why does that matter?"

The counter person said, "We charge a percentage of the price as the transfer fee."

I said, "Thank you very much", then left the store, and did my transfer somewhere else.

Shortly after that the store changed owners, name, and location, but I have not asked again about transfer fees.

That's just a shitty way of them saying "we dont do inbound transfers" [rofl]

I'd have more respect for them if they just said that, frankly.

I would be shocked if it changed much

I had a local gun store tell me they wouldn't do a transfer on a gun if they already had that gun in their store.

I told them it was a custom rifle that I wanted shipped in.

The person at the counter asked, "How much does it cost?"

My reply was, "Why does that matter?"

The counter person said, "We charge a percentage of the price as the transfer fee."

I said, "Thank you very much", then left the store, and did my transfer somewhere else.

Shortly after that the store changed owners, name, and location, but I have not asked again about transfer fees.
Had an FFL pull the "jump up the transfer fee if you don't buy ammo" crap on me ONCE! Used to deal with Dave's in Plaistow NH on a regular basis. Some over the counter from his stock (Sar1 for $185) and some incoming. Some schmuk took over the business, and when I had an AMD65 coming in, I asked over the phone what I owed him (Dave had been charging $25). He says "we'll work that out when you pick it up". Get there, he asks If I need ammo, and as I had just bought a couple of Ks, I declined. Charges me $50 for the transfer. This is way back when $50 was unheard of, and TGI AMD65's were $400. Yeah, he got an extra $25 out of me, but I have never set foot in his shitty store, and have advised anyone who asks, to avoid this asswipe. Has cost him WAY more than $25 in lost business.

We need the LGS, and they don't make as much on a transfer as on a sale. I'm a big supporter of the LGS, partly because I miss what they used to be, large places with wall to wall guns and accessories (think Lew Hortons in Framingham). Those days are long gone, so we need to support what we have.

My personal approach. I've told my LGS that I will buy there if he has what I want, and I'm ok with paying a little more so I can put my hands on it. That said I've done a shit load of shipping to him and transfers, even did a couple walk-ins and transfer (seller was MA, I'm NH). BUT I always ask if it's OK before the item is shipped, it's just polite to ask.

And on-line isn't always the best. Brownells had some lowers on sale at a good price and I was going to buy a few. But when I stopped by my LGS to "ask" him, he had the same ones in stock and after accounting for the transfer and shipping they were cheaper. On-line and on-sale doesn't always equal less money.

Its not complicated. 1. Find a shop you like. 2. Give them business. 3. Give them more business. 4. Ask them if they’re OK doing transfers for things they don’t have and aren‘t going to get (as long as those are legal for the FFL to transfer to you). 5. Notify them when you are planning to do a transfer so they have a heads up. 6. Give them more business when doing transfer. Repeat.

On non standard stuff like high end shotguns, rifles, etc.....I do my own homework, and try to get the best tax free deal. There are some vendors that still don't charge tax. Those are expensive purchases that save me considerable money if I do research I will let my dealer know I ordered it, send him the tracking info. After that, I generally let him call me after its arrived. 1-2 emails at most. Anymore than that.....your high maintenance.

On standard tupperware pistols, cheap shotguns or rifles......I'll check with him. If he had one in stock, I'll buy it. If not...he just tells me to have an online vendor send it in.

Either way........I go out of my way not to be high maintenance/low email/low back and forth contacting.

Yes....its business for them.....but its 25 dollars, acting like that is the only thing keeping them in business.....your really being a douche, especially if your bothering them all the time to check on when your stupid 400 dollar plastic pistol is coming in.

That said, Ive run across one other dealer that was a douche about inbounding. His business was new and somewhat local and I wanted to give him some business. He was very negative about inbounding and I took my business elsewhere. He is also no longer in business.

Being a gun dealer is tough work nowadays.....the internet is not going away and you have to accomodate online transfers as part of your business. If you don't, your going to lose traffic in and out of the store...which tends to make you money as well.....because people that buy guns, buy ammo, accessories. Honestly, if you do a few transfers for them and have something in stock, they are more likely to pay a little more if its in stock and buy it from you, than wait for it online.

Then there's always the guy that sees it in your dealer case for 25 dollars more than online and then says I'd rather get it online, its cheaper..... That's the clown that's tough to deal with........

Last edited:
We need the LGS, and they don't make as much on a transfer as on a sale. I'm a big supporter of the LGS, partly because I miss what they used to be, large places with wall to wall guns and accessories (think Lew Hortons in Framingham). Those days are long gone, so we need to support what we have.

My personal approach. I've told my LGS that I will buy there if he has what I want, and I'm ok with paying a little more so I can put my hands on it. That said I've done a shit load of shipping to him and transfers, even did a couple walk-ins and transfer (seller was MA, I'm NH). BUT I always ask if it's OK before the item is shipped, it's just polite to ask.

And on-line isn't always the best. Brownells had some lowers on sale at a good price and I was going to buy a few. But when I stopped by my LGS to "ask" him, he had the same ones in stock and after accounting for the transfer and shipping they were cheaper. On-line and on-sale doesn't always equal less money.
This argument is often offered to support the "buy at your LGS" position, but if someone is that stupid uneducated that they can't figure out "total cost out the door," then they deserve whatever comes their way.

This argument is often offered to support the "buy at your LGS" position, but if someone is that stupid uneducated that they can't figure out "total cost out the door," then they deserve whatever comes their way.
Point was, many assume online is less expensive and don't bother checking.

Then there's always the guy that sees it in your dealer case for 25 dollars more than online and then says I'd rather get it online, its cheaper..... That's the clown that's tough to deal with........
People do some weird mental gymnastics ...

Like that guy that wanted to spend $300 on a gun because he just wanted to waste ammo while waiting for a $500 gun to come down in price so he could sell the $300 gun for less than he paid and hopefully buy the $500 gun for $400.

Like that guy that wanted to spend $300 on a gun because he just wanted to waste ammo while waiting for a $500 gun to come down in price so he could sell the $300 gun for less than he paid and hopefully buy the $500 gun for $400.

Yes, that is SkinflintLogic in a nutshell. and usually they could afford both

Such a great thread.

Such a great thread.

I was hoping someone would find it.

I said "$500" above, should have said "$600" LOL.

When I was in MA I never found a LGS that I really liked.

I ended finding an FFL that operated out of a building on his property. He mostly transferred GunBroker purchases, but from time to time I would order a new firearm and he would generally sell it to me at his cost.

The FFL business in this region draws a couple different types of people. You have some people that can conduct themselves as functional members of society and others that are outward sensitive children. But once you find one that is decent support them and they will support you. I do not need to give someone money that acts like I kicked their dog just for entering the door. No reason because this region also has other great FFLs that I would rather buy from and keep them in business.

I am not in the business but margins seem pretty slim from the outside. I have other retail businesses and I am not carrying anything I do not collect at least 40%+ on and I doubt many items at a LGS are priced that way outside of things like holsters, targets, etc.

I do not need to give someone money that acts like I kicked their dog just for entering the door. No reason because this region also has other great FFLs that I would rather buy from and keep them in business.
This is the way I see it.

In my opinion, it is OK for an FFL to b*tch if people are shipping questionable stuff, like an Uberti revolver or a new AR - even though no one here likes the list, the FFL has a business to run, we don't, so I can't blame them. I believe they can add a note about this stuff on Gun Broker. Charge a fee to anyone stupid enough to not read it.

Anything besides the questionable stuff, the FFL should not have an issue. If it has an issue, it should remove its FFL from the Gunbroker DB.

If there were enough online purchases to keep me busy for 8hrs, I would have an FFL with no inventory, just transfers. Do 5 or 6 transfers/hr at $25-30 per transfer. Rent a small room, cheap, call it a day. $1400 per day. But, I doubt there are that many transfers.

I’ve been to @Mass Firearms ‘store’ exactly twice to purchase listed items and both times I left empty handed shaking my head due to the counter helps poor attitude and just not knowing wtf they’re talking about.

I saved myself 3G’s for the 2 purchases I went in to make, and unfortunately it cost MFS’ owners that + several grand into the future because the counter help sucked that bad.

I don’t even post In for the monthly giveaways anymore because I want nothing to do with them at this point.

MFS = 10 mins from my house
The Mill = 1 hour drive each way

Guess who’s getting paid?

I haven't been on GB in a while, never bought anything there.

Is GB doing this with all the taxable states, or is this a Maura thing?

What if I sell my KAC upper on there, they charge tax on that as well?
if you are paying using them. obviously - don`t, if you can. you can - typically almost always - to call the seller and sort out how you`re going to pay, directly.

@Mass Firearms ‘store’ exactly twice to purchase listed items and both times I left empty handed shaking my head due to the counter helps poor attitude
there is 1 (one) guy in there that indeed always behaves like he is granting you a favor by even looking at you or god forbid you ask him anything.
other 2-3 seemed to be ok to me. (almost) any shop has such individuals.

Places like MFS, DTE, etc are for low info types. Once you "know better" you generally stay away.
I haven't been on GB in a while, never bought anything there.

Is GB doing this with all the taxable states, or is this a Maura thing?

What if I sell my KAC upper on there, they charge tax on that as well?

Yes and Yes

It's not a maura thing its a Wayfair thing

Faggots in supreme court legitimized sales tax on internet shit

Wayfair is still dodgeable (pick up a telephone) but not online purch anymore unless you live in NH or have a fully fungible drop point in a no sales tax state.

Places like MFS, DTE, etc are for low info types. Once you "know better" you generally stay away.

Yes and Yes

It's not a maura thing its a Wayfair thing

Faggots in supreme court legitimized sales tax on internet shit

Wayfair is still dodgeable (pick up a telephone) but not online purch anymore unless you live in NH or have a fully fungible drop point in a no sales tax state.

What does Wayfair have to do with GB.. No idea what MFS, DTE are :)

So basically GB is acting as the tax collector for the dealers.

I guess the thing I don't get is that out of state businesses are required to collect tax if sales to this state( or any other state?) exceeds a certain amount, I think it was $5k.. So if some backwater dealer in WV has some rare and unique C&R pistol and the guy has never sold anything to any MA resident, GB will do it for him even though he is not required to collect,.. It should be up to the MA resident to claim out of state purchases on the year end rape sheet.

Ok.. Where is the sale taking place, in other words after buying a pistol, do you send the money to GB and GB pays the dealer?

No wonder prices are so high on GB, all the taxes and fees.

I will list my BNIB KAC 11.5 upper with a KAC carrier and chrome bolt for $6k, should clear like $800 after everything is said and done lol

Where is the sale taking place, in other words after buying a pistol, do you send the money to GB and GB pays the dealer?
there was a way for direct payments there, but i did not try it lately and do not know if the GB will present you now with a bill to pay the sale tax portion on a completed sale or not, if buyer pays you directly with a check or paypal.

What does Wayfair have to do with GB.. No idea what MFS, DTE are :)

So basically GB is acting as the tax collector for the dealers.

I guess the thing I don't get is that out of state businesses are required to collect tax if sales to this state( or any other state?) exceeds a certain amount, I think it was $5k.. So if some backwater dealer in WV has some rare and unique C&R pistol and the guy has never sold anything to any MA resident, GB will do it for him even though he is not required to collect,.. It should be up to the MA resident to claim out of state purchases on the year end rape sheet.

Ok.. Where is the sale taking place, in other words after buying a pistol, do you send the money to GB and GB pays the dealer?

No wonder prices are so high on GB, all the taxes and fees.

I will list my BNIB KAC 11.5 upper with a KAC carrier and chrome bolt for $6k, should clear like $800 after everything is said and done lol

South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc.

South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc., held by a 5–4 majority that states may charge tax on purchases made from out-of-state sellers, even if the seller does not have a physical presence in the taxing state

Try to find a local FFL that is fine with doing transfers. I couple years ago I asked Rob at Monadnock Firearms to find me a 16" KAC. He said he couldn't find any in stock from his distributors. I searched around for a couple of days found one at a shop in Texas and sent Rob a text, "I have one inbound."

His reply "Sweet, I'll let you know when it gets here!" He knows I'll use him when I can, but sometimes I just need him to sign for it.

Back
Top Bottom