• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just called each member of Public Safety, every person I spoke to reported that they are getting inundated with calls opposing the bill. Even Chang-Diaz's office.

Great news.

Keep up the pressure, it's working.

My overall is that the hearing was a resounding "win".

The supporters of the bill showed up for 2 hours, spoke in their pre-arranged panels from pre-written testimony. They spoke only from an emotional perspective. Committee members asked questions challenging some claims and the people had no responses.

Our side stayed for 9 hours. Almost everyone had a unique story to tell. Our side spoke with evidence and facts.

I really think the Committee "gets it". However, stuff doesn't happen in MA because it's right, stuff happens in MA because of consolidated power. These committee members need to have the guts to oppose the speaker's bill, and the guts to convince the rest of the legislature that this thing doesn't work as written. Too many members of our legislature will vote how the speaker tells them and not even read the bill. We need to keep hammering the committee and our reps that they have an obligation to do the right thing and oppose this ineffective and oppressive legislation as written (and work with GOAL to construct effective legislation.

I was the last person to speak at the public hearing. This letter went out to the Committee this morning:
Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security
Massachusetts State House
Boston, MA 02133

To the Honorable Committee Members:

Thank you for holding a public hearing on Tuesday June 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]. I was the last person called to speak on the bill to conclude the hearing around 9:00pm.

I am writing in opposition as written to most provisions in Speaker DeLeo’s gun control bill H.4121 “An Act Relative to the Reduction of Gun Violence”

I agree with the GOAL analysis available here: http://www.goal.org/goal-response-may-30-2014.html
I urge you to oppose H.4121 unless it is significantly altered to remove the offending sections.

[Who I am removed...]. Recent tragedies have no doubt caused us all to question whether new laws are in order. However, I will tell you that our “gun-free zone” workplaces do not make us safer, and in fact makes our campuses targets for someone intending mass murder. We cannot even carry pepper spray to protect ourselves due to the current onerous laws.

Specifically regarding H.4121, while there are some sections that I support such as bringing MA in compliance with NICS, school resource officers, and support for mental health, many of the provisions are simply harassment of law-abiding gun owners that will have no effect on crime.

Section 18 would ban private sales. Currently private sales can only be conducted between two people who have valid MA firearms licenses and therefore have already undergone background checks. Section 18 would require a fee to be paid for every firearm transfer. A father handing down a cherished firearm to a son would now be subject to transfer fees, for example. This feel-good provision will do nothing to stop people who already break the law, and only serve to harass legal firearms owners. I hear the people who suggested that the background check completed during licensing may be out of date. A simple solution could be to require the E-FA10 be completed during the sale before the transfer is completed, possibly via a smartphone app. Alternatively, a 2 step process of verifying a current license before proceeding with a transfer could address these concerns.

Section 41 would unreasonably increase penalties for anybody who strays over an invisible property line of a school. How can you justify ruining someone’s life for crossing an invisible line, especially when school properties are often the home of hiking trails?

Sections 19 and 26 propose that an unelected body define who is “suitable” to possess a firearm. We should not leave the decision of who gets fundamental civil rights up to such a body. I prefer this definition: if you are not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm, you shall be issued a MA license. This section also proposes to prohibit licenses to anybody convicted of a misdemeanor with a potential penalty greater than one year. Drawing in a library book could now prohibit you from owning firearms. Non-violent crimes should not prevent you from your fundamental rights of self-defense.

Section 4 proposes to make teachers responsible for mental health of students and their families. While I applaud the concept, the implementation could dramatically increase teacher stress and burnout. This is also potentially an unfunded mandate that would burden town school systems.

When proposing to restrict rights, you need to identify the achievable gain by enacting only effective laws. The evidence presented at the hearing shows that these proposed laws are not effective.

Repeat violent offenders commit the most violent crime. This bill does nothing to address that. We heard touching testimony about the cycles of violence that perpetuate urban areas. A woman who lost her husband. A mother who cannot let her son walk anywhere in their own neighborhood. We heard about the disparities between the “two Massachusetts” – one where millions of dollars flow to help the victims of the Marathon bombings, yet the victims of urban violence are ignored. We need real solutions like community policing, jobs programs, and youth programs that will end the cycles of violence.

A recent study in the City of Boston found that youth with jobs were much less likely to be involved in violence of any kind. The study and story are available here:
· http://www.cityofboston.gov/images_documents/CLMS_Research_Paper_tcm3-39574.pdf
· http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ne-violence/Ij5VGwIx2EeuXukTwm4RAI/story.html

This is supposed to be a comprehensive bill? If so, you have a duty to analyze the failure of your past efforts and remove ineffective legislation. Instead, this bill threatens me with prosecution for pretended offenses.

There is often talk of compromise and reasonable actions. I propose the following reasonable amendments:
- Repeal the Assault Weapons Ban. MGL Ch. 140 Sec. 131M.
o Cars are dangerous. Imagine banning adjustable car seats, mufflers, and leather wrapped steering wheels. Ridiculous? The AWB does exactly this – it makes firearms LESS SAFE. Even Representative Linsky agrees:
“In my view, the only difference between a legal, large capacity rifle and a grandfathered assault weapon or banned assault weapon are cosmetics, so in my view they will be treated the same.” (Metrowest Daily News, 1/17/2013).
- Shall issue licenses unless you are prohibited person or proven unsuitable in a court/hearing
- Remove the EOPS/AG approved firearm roster requirements.
- Reciprocity with licenses in compatible states.

I understand how things work in Massachusetts. However, you have a duty to address the issues with this bill or otherwise oppose its passage as written. Your colleagues may not even read the bill, you must convince them. This issue is too important to trade away behind a closed door meeting.

Sincerely,
[JJ4]

This x100
If we focus an effort, we might be able to make the rest squirm.
Naughton would be perfect.
If just the people on this forum alone put a focused effort on him it would be a huge kick in the ass.
Him especially, D-bags like Linsky are always going to be d-bags. What you see is what you get.
But Naughton is two faced as f*ck all based on this mess.
He's one to make an example of.
If nothing else we can make him spend a hell of a lot more to get re-elected than he wanted to.
I'll volunteer to help out whoever is in his district, stuff envelopes, make calls, write letters, whatever needs to be done.
That and the fact that he's worn the uniform and sworn the oath like men like my Father and Grandfather yet violates it like it doesn't mean shit, infuriates me beyond words
I called every member on the public safety comm. today,
and Naughton was the only one that went to an answering machine.

Spoke with my Rep today. She said keep calling all the reps, Deleo , and the committee , it does matter to them. She said even some dems are worried about the response they are getting.

I called every member on the public safety comm. today,
and Naughton was the only one that went to an answering machine.

I had the same experience with Naughton going to voicemail. Imagine what we could do if ALL MA licensed gun owners would just make 1 phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been calling everyone I can think of. Most responses seem positive, but not sure how much is just lip service to get me to STFU and get off the phone.

(Just on a side note for bow hunters - Betty asked if I heard about the passage of Matt Beaton's Bow Hunting Bill - passed late last evening. It will allow for Bow Hunting of Deer on Sundays.)

This must be the bill
https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H4114/History
the director may declare any Sunday within the last 3 months of a calendar year as open season for the hunting of deer by bow and arrow only. The director may establish rules and regulations for such open season, subject to the approval of the fisheries and wildlife board; provided that hunting during such open season may be limited to specific areas as defined by the director and may be suspended or modified when, in the director’s opinion, such action becomes necessary.
[rolleyes]
would be better than nothing... I guess....

And they keep saying the bill is just about background checks and suicide prevention. "Nothing to see here folks... We wouldn't violate anyone's rights.... Honest"

From that article:
Among the bill's proposed requirements:
1.That private sales to take place at a federally licensed gun dealership, to ensure that the buyer undergoes a background check. This will make a gun's origins easier to track, DeLeo said
2.That state to submit to the national background check system names of people who have been declared by the courts to have mental health or substance abuse issues.
3.Expanding a "suitability standard," a standard under which police chiefs have discretion to determine whether someone is suitable to get a license. The standard now only applies to licenses to carry handguns, but the bill would apply it to firearms identification cards, which are required for rifles or shotguns.
4.Requiring local law enforcement to trace all guns used in crimes, and the state police to compile reports about the guns' origins.
5.Stopping felons those convicted of misdemeanors punishable by up to a year from buying guns. The rule now is that no one convicted misdemeanors punishable by up to two years may get a gun.
1. How does doing something with the buyer affect "the gun's origins"?
2. OK, only if those individuals are disqualified, not everyone.
3. This needs to be removed, not expanded.
4. Don't they already do that?
5. Isn't it already a law to stop felons from buying guns? As for the 1 or 2 year part, do away with that also; or put them in jail.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/massachusetts_house_speaker_ro_12.html

Says he is " willing to talk" about the 1 year misd. Issue

In this region, home to Smith & Wesson and Savage Arms among other manufacturers in the firearms business, guns are economic development.

"There is nothing in this bill that hurts Smith & Wesson," DeLeo said. "We are talking about criminal background checks, the mental health aspect of this, suicide prevention."

I wish Smith & Wesson would threaten to pull out of Massachusetts over this bill. Would be fun to see the MA politicians trying to explain that. They may hate guns, but they love tax money.

I wish Smith & Wesson would threaten to pull out of Massachusetts over this bill. Would be fun to see the MA politicians trying to explain that. They may hate guns, but they love tax money.

Add on:
Kahr
Savage
YHM
other ones I'm missing

I would be better if manufacturers did what Barrett is doing. Won't do business with states that regulate his guns. Stick it to the ones it hurts most. Let the pols take heat from the CLEOs for once.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/06/massachusetts_house_speaker_ro_12.html

Says he is " willing to talk" about the 1 year misd. Issue

Yeah, and I'm willing to talk about printing a suicide hotline number on my LTC. GMAFB, is he delusional?

Get rid of suitability & AG/EOPSS lists, leave training alone (or get rid of it) and you can print unicorns and rainbows on my license if you want. And I bet that would work better at preventing suicides than a hotline too...

I'm calling my rep, and the committee, again tomorrow and telling them that DeLeo is delusional.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom