• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun stores on the cape

Hey guys

I'm heading down to the cape this weekend for a wedding.

I almost never go down there but figured I would look at some lgs.

So, what's everyone's favorite?

Thanks
Ben

ODS guns in Yarmouth (might be the wrong town but it's on the line). He has the only AR parts and accessories that I've found around here. He also carries crossbreed holsters in stock. Nice shop and the Husband and Wife that own it have been nothing but nice to me.

You also have Powderhorn at the rotary in Tall *******. Decent selection there but you can't get the time of day unless you are a local and know the staff. At least that's how it has felt when I've been in there. Enjoy the cape, avoid Hyannis.

Another plug if ODS. IMO Dan doesn't have the same inventory of FS, but his prices are damned close.

I was just in Yarmoth last week and asked the same question here. Eveyone said ODS guns!! Went to ODS twice while I was there great place lots of AR parts super nice guy Dan is very friendly. Picked up an MOE grip too!!

Any place in the Marshfield area?

That's not the cape but yes. Stop at Four Seasons on the way...

J/J, I don't know of any gun shops in Marshfeild proper but Greg Derr is there. He is a pistol smith and a real good one at that. Not much to see at his shop, it's not really a foot traffic type place. You can head over to Plymouth and check out M&M, they are pretty nice and didn't charge $1600 for an AR in February, they were still selling them for $800 when they had them in. There is a shop in Plympton too but they were selling things like $2000 milspec carbines and XM193 for $600 / 500 rounds and had RGUNs lowers for $385... The choice is yours.

Oh, if you have time, head over to Easton and check out Zero Hour. They have plenty of killy things to check out and drool over like class III items.

At the Powderhorn, the selection of guns is usually kinda lacking, but occasionally you can find a good deal. The ammo selection is also just not there and prices are always high (but cheaper than the goose hummock)

I've never been to ODS, but I've heard good things.

The Goose Hummock in Orleans has a decent selection of guns, but most are overpriced. The ammo selection there has always been the epitome of shitty and the prices are consistently in full retard territory.

my 2c

ODS! I am a big fan! However Powderhorn in Hyannis has to have the least helpful most obnoxious staff I have ever met..... and there prices actually make me laugh out loud....... I am not one to put down someone's busines but I don't think they care what I think..... Or anyone for that matter...

ODS! I am a big fan! However Powderhorn in Hyannis has to have the least helpful most obnoxious staff I have ever met..... and there prices actually make me laugh out loud....... I am not one to put down someone's busines but I don't think they care what I think..... Or anyone for that matter...

^If you think The Horn's prices are high you haven't been to the Goose[laugh] Sandy was getting $20/box of 9mm back when it was $12-14@ the horn! I looked at a Saiga there, then promptly handed it back when I saw the price tag... I think it was like $800 or so.

There's another thread like this on here, go see Dan @ ODS guns. Check out the powderhorn too.

Last edited:
^If you think The Horn's prices are high you haven't been to the Goose[laugh] Sandy was getting $20/box of 9mm back when it was $12-14@ the horn! I looked at a Saiga there, then promptly handed it back when I saw the price tag... I think it was like $800 or so.

There's another thread like this on here, go see Dan @ ODS guns. Check out the powderhorn too.

Sandy price gouges and intentionally only orders PMC handgun ammo because he has a captive customer base. The inability to order ammo online completely enables dicks like him to do what they do. In the PRM, if there is no local competition in the ammo market then there is no competition at all... What a state.

i live on the cape and as far as i am concerned there are 3 places to go. but only 2 if you are looking for selection. ODS is great. They try their best to help with whatever they can. big fan.
Powder horn is good and recently the selection has been ALOT better. great people there too. big selection of long guns
If you are looking for just a shotgun or rifle I also like eastmans in falmouth. They dont have many. maybe 40. some are used some new, but if you are bargain hunting they are good for that.

With so many dumps on Powderhorn (not just this thread), I'd like to offer a contrasting opinion.

I consider Powderhorn my LGS and have had nothing but good experiences there, both buying and selling/trading. The prices are a little higher than other places off-Cape, but by the time you factor in gas and time, my opinion is you will not save money unless it is an outrageous deal or you plan to make a bulk purchase.

The staff has always been friendly, eager to help and most are knowledgeable. Here's an example: last week I called them looking for some odd-ball scope rings in the off chance they could order them for me. Dick Laasko answered the phone and immediately said they did not have what I was looking for, but would do some research and call back. I figured that I'd never hear about it again, but not 10 minutes later Dick called and gave me the name and number of a vendor that carried what I was looking for.

I have only seen the staff get testy twice during my frequent visits. Once, some know-it-all-blowhard came in and was trying to prove that he was the smartest gun guy in the room. The other time a punk kid (the kind with his hat on sideways and his pants hanging down to his ankles) saunters in and demands "lemme hol dat Glock". When the staff member politely asks asks for his permit, punk-ass replies "I ain got no permit, wat I nee dat fo man?!". To which the staff members tells him to GTFO.

Give them a chance and decide for yourself.

I went to ods. He had hornady flex tips in 6.8! I may grab another box or two oh my way home. Maybe another moe grip for my next build.

He mentioned it will ship stuff if I need it to my home too. Nice guy.

I'm glad you had a good experience, but you are the exception to the rule. See "The Waiter Rule".

Any time someone mentions The Powderhorn these threads should be mentioned as well:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/gun-shops-reviews/87361-p-g-dowd-northboro-ma.html
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...49-whats-happens-guns-confiscated-police.html
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/gun-shops-reviews/1148-powderhorn-hyannis-ma.html

I will not support someone who runs an extortion scheme like Marc's bonded warehouse. (Nor would I support someone who treated his customers like a-holes and overcharged (Is he still selling an M&P9 for $600?) until competition came around.)

OP - I'll also recommend ODS in Yarmouth, it's a great shop.

With so many dumps on Powderhorn (not just this thread), I'd like to offer a contrasting opinion.

I consider Powderhorn my LGS and have had nothing but good experiences there, both buying and selling/trading. The prices are a little higher than other places off-Cape, but by the time you factor in gas and time, my opinion is you will not save money unless it is an outrageous deal or you plan to make a bulk purchase.

The staff has always been friendly, eager to help and most are knowledgeable. Here's an example: last week I called them looking for some odd-ball scope rings in the off chance they could order them for me. Dick Laasko answered the phone and immediately said they did not have what I was looking for, but would do some research and call back. I figured that I'd never hear about it again, but not 10 minutes later Dick called and gave me the name and number of a vendor that carried what I was looking for.

I have only seen the staff get testy twice during my frequent visits. Once, some know-it-all-blowhard came in and was trying to prove that he was the smartest gun guy in the room. The other time a punk kid (the kind with his hat on sideways and his pants hanging down to his ankles) saunters in and demands "lemme hol dat Glock". When the staff member politely asks asks for his permit, punk-ass replies "I ain got no permit, wat I nee dat fo man?!". To which the staff members tells him to GTFO.

Give them a chance and decide for yourself.

Outback is a major profiteer. There is nothing wrong with that, you have the right to buy or not buy depending on the prices. The people are nice there. Just remember, he was (may still be) charging $600 / 500 rounds of XM193. Maybe that's why it's still there, next to his $385 stripped Rguns lowers.

At the Powderhorn, the selection of guns is usually kinda lacking, but occasionally you can find a good deal. The ammo selection is also just not there and prices are always high (but cheaper than the goose hummock)

I've never been to ODS, but I've heard good things.

The Goose Hummock in Orleans has a decent selection of guns, but most are overpriced. The ammo selection there has always been the epitome of shitty and the prices are consistently in full retard territory.

my 2c
My experience were similar. The folks at Powderhorn have serious attitude problems that tend to alienate customers. Goose Hummock folks are nice, but prices are high. As a man of very limited means, I take my business to Rileys in Hooksett, NH. No MA sales tax on firearms, ammo and accessories, no FA-10, fingerprint scanners and MIRCS bullcrap to deal with, knowledgeable and friendly staff, etc. Since I live on the NH border, this has always been my game plan. Best value for the dollar!

Back
Top Bottom