Gun Stores on Cape Cod

I've heard of Powderhorn Outfitters and Cape Gun Works. Are they any good? I'm heading down to Brewster for the weekend and wanted to check some out

My recommendations would be ODS Guns in Yarmouth and Cape Gun Works in Hyannis. I've patronized both, both are great places.

No first hand experience with Powderhorn, seen some less than favorable comments on here about them.

My recommendations would be ODS Guns in Yarmouth and Cape Gun Works in Hyannis. I've patronized both, both are great places.

No first hand experience with Powderhorn, seen some less than favorable comments on here about them.

My favorite is ODS, but to be fair, the Powderhorn has improved and is worth a visit. It's right down the street from Cape Gun Works.

Got a good price from Dan at ODS on something I had on my wish list. Good place!

Annnnnnd IBTL

I'll go into the Powderhorn, but not happy about the BS Bonded warehouse crap, so I have never bought from them.

CGW and Powderhorn are both on Barnstable road in Hyannis. If you don't want to get talked down to, I'd stick with GGW out of those two. CGW is also in the process of opening an indoor shooting range and huge shop on Airport Rd, where the paintball place used to be. ODS in Yarmouth is decent, but I've not been in there for a few years. Then theres Goose Hummock in Orleans. Great selection, but the prices border on full retard for guns and ammo, although occasionally you can find a deal or two.

Check out the Beacon trading post. http://www.beacontradingpost.com/
I had an excellent experience here.

Seconded. I love beacon, Andre is a great resource, I purchased my first gun from him and never felt judged for my dumb questions which is way more than I can say for any of my LGS's. Also, dat cage...

As others have said, powderhorn is great, CGW is ok- it suffers from the MA LGS problem- everyone sells the same shit so there isn't much different.

Powderhorn still runs the bonded warehouse so I won't even consider buying anything from them. CGW is priced pretty high and I don't particularly care for the ownership. ODS is a good shop with good prices. Never been to the Goose Hammock and from the reports of their prices I have no plans to go. Used to go to Fred's all the time but haven't been to Beacon yet. Kulas didn't have a ton of selection when I went, and I think I read they are appointment only now. There's also GT Arms in Wareham - decent selection and decent prices.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I bought a few guns from the Outdoor Shop in Yarmouth, they have a small selection but have some really cool stuff, and keep a lot of cross breed holsters in stock which are my favorite. Hate the powderhorn but I've bought from them in the past, Goose Hummock is ok, they have some good used guns there. Prices are insane for the new stuff but I got a cheap used shotgun there.

Powderhorn still runs the bonded warehouse so I won't even consider buying anything from them. CGW is priced pretty high and I don't particularly care for the ownership. ODS is a good shop with good prices. Never been to the Goose Hammock and from the reports of their prices I have no plans to go. Used to go to Fred's all the time but haven't been to Beacon yet. Kulas didn't have a ton of selection when I went, and I think I read they are appointment only now. There's also GT Arms in Wareham - decent selection and decent prices.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

+1.

Seconded. I love beacon, Andre is a great resource, I purchased my first gun from him and never felt judged for my dumb questions which is way more than I can say for any of my LGS's. Also, dat cage...

As others have said, powderhorn is great, CGW is ok- it suffers from the MA LGS problem- everyone sells the same shit so there isn't much different.
I didn't read anywhere in this thread about the Powderhorn being great.

I bought a few guns from the Outdoor Shop in Yarmouth, they have a small selection but have some really cool stuff, and keep a lot of cross breed holsters in stock which are my favorite. Hate the powderhorn but I've bought from them in the past, Goose Hummock is ok, they have some good used guns there. Prices are insane for the new stuff but I got a cheap used shotgun there.

I bought a barely used SW 617 6" SS at the Outdoor shop, which was immediately absconded by my daughter, who OC's it when we are in NH [smile]. Been there a few times, some interesting things come in there on consignment from time to time. There was also a pretty good selection of consumer-grade gun safes there.

As far as powderhorn anyone here who supports a store that is actively in the business of being a bonded warehouse is supporting legalized theft. It is antithetical to the 2a. YMMV

First go to ods in yarmouth. Great prices and dan is great. Then go to goose hummock. Prices kinda suck but they have a decent amount of used. Then head over to cape gun works. Decent prices and selection. Powderhorn is good if you want a $45 gi mag.....

ODS and CGW are both really nice. Chick-friendly in case your wife/daughter/girlfriend are riding shotgun. Goose Hummock is good, too, but prices are pretty high. I won't go to Powderhorn.

Forgive my ignorance but... what is a bonded warehouse? From what I have read its stuff held by customs until taxes are paid?

Forgive my ignorance but... what is a bonded warehouse? From what I have read its stuff held by customs until taxes are paid?
In general, yes.

In this context, it is a licensed dealer who holds guns confiscated by police but not evidence in a case, with charges and terms (storage fees, extra documentation required for release, etc) set at whatever the bonded warehouse owner deems appropriate.

I have done business on a number of occasions at Powderhorn, and have always been treated fairly.
ODS is also very good. I found prices at CGW to be very high, but have not been there for a long time, so maybe things are better. Like everything else in life, your mileage may vary.

Went to CGW this past week as I was passing the building and they had a huge "Ammo Sale" sign up.
Ended up buying 2x lbs of Titegroup @ $27.95 (ouch) and no ammo as it was all way too expensive. Their prices have been going up at outrageous percentages over the past 8 months.

2x lbs of Titegroup @ $27.95 (ouch)
Yeah, but it beats $20/lb from the guy who is always out of it.

The problem is that CGW doesn't get any better price on powder than anyone with an out of state shipping drop and enough friends to amortize hazmat over a decent number of lbs. Unfortunately, $27.95 is not an unreasonable retail markup price.

Yeah, but it beats $20/lb from the guy who is always out of it.

The problem is that CGW doesn't get any better price on powder than anyone with an out of state shipping drop and enough friends to amortize hazmat over a decent number of lbs. Unfortunately, $27.95 is not an unreasonable retail markup price.

Agreed, that is why I bought it. I picked up a lb of Titegroup at Cabellas in Berlin on the way back from the GPP shoot and the price was $20.99. Obviously, LGS prices can't compete with a big box store but they need to at least stay ball park competitive.

Agreed, that is why I bought it. I picked up a lb of Titegroup at Cabellas in Berlin on the way back from the GPP shoot and the price was $20.99. Obviously, LGS prices can't compete with a big box store but they need to at least stay ball park competitive.
That is an interesting inversion. $20.99/lb is an incredibly good "shop price". The big box shops generally refuse to be price competitive with LGSs on guns .... to the point where Bass Pro had to add "firearms excluded" to their price matching policy after too many customers brought in fliers from small shops.

The mail order price for Titlegroup 1lb from a deep discounter that sells at pretty much the same prices local shops have to pay is $20.85/lb.

CGW treated me right. Never been to Powderhorn. Bought a few guns from Fred - he was always a trip to talk to. Still kicking myself I didn't grab the compact 945 from him when I had it in my hands. :(

Back
Top Bottom