1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Gun Store Ratings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ridleyman, Aug 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

The new owner should have done a better job of advertising the place was under new ownership.

His fault for not being proactive. This is only the biggest gun forum in New England ... if not the East Coast.

ISOTOX and Igotid like this.

2. jpm

jpm NES Member

yes clearly they should have sent out gold plated engraved invitations to everyone on NES!

Plenty of gun stores don't feel the need to bow before us here, I've never seen FS or CCG post any ads here.

EJFudd likes this.
  3. dlarge

dlarge NES Member

NSF went on the offensive against this forum specifically. Big difference.

Though cool that they're under new ownership and things have apparently improved, had no idea.

ETA: I did hit their website up before learning about the change and noticed that it's completely different. I also noted their transfer policy (really silly)...

SERVICES

4. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Thats the same policy as before.

Am I wrong, or is that just like saying "I didnt get all of your money, so rather than getting a few dollars from you Id rather get zero dollars."?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  5. dlarge

dlarge NES Member

It's a bit FUDDy in my opinion and also a bit in-line with the attitude of the original owners, but no point in de-railing this thread. I have no skin in the game at this point so let's let it go, yea?

mazzler and andrew1220 like this.
  6. bgoum

bgoum NES Member

Seems they have gotten even worse under new ownership - if that was possible.
    So if they cannot obscenely overcharge you for a firearm they could have ordered for you, then they will rape you for an $80 transfer fee?
    Two letters for NSF: "F" and "U"

andrew1220 and Igotid like this.
  7. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Try going to a bicycle vendor and saying "I've got a great deal on a new bike for much cheaper than you sell, but the vendor only deals with storefront shops. Can I pay you $40 to receive it for me so I don't pay your markup?"

Name one retail sector other than guns where "bypass the middleman who is handling your transfer" is the normal and expected ode of operation.

8. bgoum

bgoum NES Member

Yes, makes sense but if that bicycle vendor was screwing people and laughing about it, they would not be in business long anyway.
    As is likely in the future for a certain store in Middleton. Maybe not today but the attitude there will not age well.

Bt74 likes this.
  9. dlarge

dlarge NES Member

There are plenty of FFLs willing (and generally happy) to accept incoming transfers. No dealer is forced to offer the service.

If I still had skin in the game, I would "insist" on spending a few bucks more elsewhere based on the verbage on their website alone. But I don't, and that's just me, so who cares.

andrew1220 likes this.
  10. bgoum

bgoum NES Member

Me for one... and I charge juuuuuust a hair under $80[rofl]

11. *CJK*

*CJK* NES Member

Since I live on the south shore: shooting supply has been my go to place. Nice folks, great prices.

cjmass and bottle-cap like this.
  12. alan226

alan226

If NSF is under new ownership I'll give them a shot. If I walk in and those fat pant loads are there , I will, however, walk out....

13. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

Shooting Supply is a solid 10 based on selection, price, reloading supplies and personality. I truly wish we had a shop like this in NH.

DPR likes this.
  14. alan226

alan226

That suspiciously looks like the old owners policy.

I'm not a gun store owner, but owned a retail business in the past.

How may man hours does it take to do a transfer? I'm guessing less than an hour. Which means at around $30+ there is money to be made...

15. usp45ct

usp45ct

Pioneer Valley Arms in East Longmeadow recently did me a solid. Minuteman Arms is always great for me as well.

16. DTOM537

DTOM537 NES Member

I will not step foot in NSF, no one wanted to help. And when they did they acted like you where bothering them, and there prices sucked.

wegman, ISOTOX and andrew1220 like this.
  17. Greg

Greg

Some people give a store bad reviews because they are not catered to..Collectors comes to mind. I loved the place,they left me alone..some guys go into a gun store and want to be sold a gun,they have no idea what they are looking for,they just want someone to sell them on a gun. If the store owner doesn't crawl on his knees once the guy comes through the door..Neg review !!

When I go to a store,I know what I am looking for,I don't need to be sold ON ANYTHING since I do my research way beforehand (not posting on here asking the forum what I should buy LOL )..Some guys just love to shop like women and are waiting to be sold on something..anything.

jpm, greencobra and Bt74 like this.
  18. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

More like 5 minutes of time, in reality. They are taking care of other business during the wait. NH Guns & Anno in Londonderry charges $15 for a transfer and will order anything you want. Nick and Doug are not whining crybabies,

19. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

Their transfer policy alone would be enough for me not to set foot in their store. A few years back, Dave's in Plaistow NH (after Dave turned it over to some dikhead), jammed me for an extra $25 on a transfer because I didn't buy ammo at the same time! I was a regular when Dave ran it, and I have not stepped foot back in the shithole since! Anytime someone asks me where to go locally...I expressly tell them to avoid Daves. Couldn't say how much business the $25he gouged me for has cost him, but just MY lost business has lost him substantially more than $25.

20. TJRaccoon

TJRaccoon NES Member

Pack and Postal rates very highly IMHO Rate 10. Great Older selection (No NIB stuff). It's my C&R honey hole. Joe is the smartest/nicest guy I know
    FS Rate 9 has always treated me well, love the staff great prices......yeah a bit of a mob scene most days Today is tax free weekend. I can just imagine!
    CCG...Rate 8 bought my first pistol there on Main St in 1988...Love the loft
    The Armory (retail shop closed) Miss that place. I felt like family there.

rudiewhitebwoy and BREWINZ like this.
  21. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Same here. I just want to be left alone. If I need something Ill come to you. Dont want or need ass-kissing or witty banter.

andrew1220 and ISOTOX like this.
  22. ISOTOX

ISOTOX NES Member

N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling

Oh Boy.....[rofl]

23. DTOM537

DTOM537 NES Member

80 $ for a transfer fee is insane, I hope no one would pay that

andrew1220 and Bt74 like this.
  24. Broccoli Iglesias

Did I say that?

A simple account as a dealer (or as a regular member) letting everyone know they have new ownership would have been enough. It would get them more than enough business to offset the cost of the account.

Marketing 101.

I would have gone as far as buying burgers and having a small cookout for a weekend, get as many people in the door as possible.

25. Broccoli Iglesias

I just looked ... new ownership same as the old ownership? [laugh]

I hate the way its worded "if you insist on buying from someone else" ... what an idiot.

andrew1220 and DTOM537 like this.
  26. yanici

yanici NES Member

Love Collectors on Hancock St. in Stoneham. Very relaxing atmosphere and their gun prices are good. Nice selection for such a small place.

andrew1220 and DPR like this.
  27. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

greg, i could have written this post! very true, every line.

28. ParrytheWind

ParrytheWind NES Member

Northshore Firearms is now owned by the son, who told me personally that a SP2022 that I bought there previously was not on the list, and couldn't be brought in for a trade towards something else. This clown shop has a display of guns available to LEO's only, as of last week. I had heard of the "new management" and found the same circus of fools. Tell them you are from NES and ask about the trasfer fees,.. lol. If you shop there then you must have a rubber nose too.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    ISOTOX, andrew1220, DPR and 5 others like this.
  29. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

Good point-I forgot about them. 9 Nobody gets a 10, yet, IMHO. And Riley's in NH has great service, but higher prices-8.

30. btnh6668

btnh6668 NES Member

going as well as i thought

Grendizer138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.