Gun Store Price Matching

Do gun stores typically match prices of other gun stores in Massachusetts? Like will any gun store on the Northshore match prices with Four Seasons in Woburn? I know Four Seasons gets more bulk, but will any other store in the area typically match prices to make a sale?

Even places that offer price matching generally have "outs" if the match would undercut their cost.

I don't remember the shop, but one price matching policy matches prices of "real shops" and excludes an shop located in an office building (ie, Four Seasons).

Bass Pro added "firearms excluded" to their matching policy after too many people brought in ads from Four Seasons.

It is worth asking and trying to negotiate but I think generally it is not something that they do as a set policy in most shops. I have nicely asked and noted competitors pricing and some places just say they can't even come close to matching it ie "He is probably getting it for cheaper than I am so I guess you have to buy from him, best of luck"

I generally call a few shops, get prices, and then in person negotiate with the shops in the order of who I want to buy from. Just remember not every shop is buying from the same distributor at the same price so in most cases if they wanted to beat FS on price they would already be doing it.

Even places that offer price matching generally have "outs" if the match would undercut their cost.

I don't remember the shop, but one price matching policy matches prices of "real shops" and excludes an shop located in an office building (ie, Four Seasons).

Bass Pro added "firearms excluded" to their matching policy after too many people brought in ads from Four Seasons.

Yup and if I remember that shop doesn't care much for NES.

North Shore...though it looks like they removed that from the website.

The transfer fee, however, is still $80 [laugh]

North Shore...though it looks like they removed that from the website.

The transfer fee, however, is still $80 [laugh]

they were $40 for the longest time. a few months back I went in to do a transfer because FS was a zoo that day. when the kid told me $60 I damn near s$$t myself. have not stepped foot in the place since. sad since I am 3 mins away, I mostly deal with patriot now. better people and much better pricing.

IF you want it cheaper, check out Gun Gennie or something and shop around for the best price there. I always feel awkward asking for a price match on something I want that's overpriced though this does help prevent impulse buying.

wife assures me that BPS will price match Cabela's on firearms, but not LGS or out of state advertisers. I plan on trying that soon on a Shield which is on sale at Cabela's for $375. I'll report back here my results.

If anyone has a link with a price advertised for less at a MA retailer, I will try that first as well.

Do gun stores typically match prices of other gun stores in Massachusetts? Like will any gun store on the Northshore match prices with Four Seasons in Woburn? I know Four Seasons gets more bulk, but will any other store in the area typically match prices to make a sale?

Good luck with that. You might be able to get them to meet you in the middle but most will not touch FS cash price. If you're this much of a skinflint, just sack up and go to FS. Or better yet, inbound it via gunbroker drllrt and **** the state out of the sales tax. (make sure the local inbounding dealer isn't one of the douchebags that tries to charge sales tax on a transfer, though. )

Holliston Firearms gave me a price match on my 92. MFS had them for 601 and theirs was 630 something. They matched MFS.

Jesus H, must be inflation. I remember when FS sold Beretta 92s for like $499 cash new in the box.

-Mike

Two years ago Cabela's matched Four Seasons price on an M&P 9mm range kit.

They wouldn't price match a SR22 for me because they only 'had one in stock'. Took it up with the store manger who told me told me to drive to Four Seasons and get it for that price if I wanted it. After a call to corporate they ended up honoring it but I took my business elsewhere.

They wouldn't price match a SR22 for me because they only 'had one in stock'. Took it up with the store manger who told me told me to drive to Four Seasons and get it for that price if I wanted it. After a call to corporate they ended up honoring it but I took my business elsewhere.

I wasnt going to buy there. They asked me why and I said the price was too high. They said they would price match. All they did was call to make sure it was in stock and that was it. No muss, no fuss. That was in June of 2015

I wasnt going to buy there. They asked me why and I said the price was too high. They said they would price match. All they did was call to make sure it was in stock and that was it. No muss, no fuss. That was in June of 2015

My experience was last spring. Four Seasons was the only other place with it in stock at the time for less than $400. I noticed it was in stock while getting some ammo so I figured why not? Never saw that salesman there again so who knows if I got unlucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll pay a little more if the gun store worker(s) arent complete asses to me for no reason at all. Unless its an ungodly huge amount, I'll buy where im treated right, which seems hard to find in the LGS community.

Last edited:
Funniest story was a now closed shop inn Northboro. The guy I was with told the owner "I'll offer you $50 over 4seasons price, but not $100".

We got a lecture about how some dealers were whoring the business by selling too cheap and people should be willing to pay a fair margin.

I asked if they bought from the lowest priced reliable distributor, or if they made sure they paid a fair margin to support the distributor. I was told "that's different" (..... because it's my money and not yours we're talking about)

Last edited:
Good luck with that. You might be able to get them to meet you in the middle but most will not touch FS cash price. If you're this much of a skinflint, just sack up and go to FS. Or better yet, inbound it via gunbroker drllrt and **** the state out of the sales tax. (make sure the local inbounding dealer isn't one of the douchebags that tries to charge sales tax on a transfer, though. )

Jesus H, must be inflation. I remember when FS sold Beretta 92s for like $499 cash new in the box.

-Mike

I paid $525.00, it was my first handgun... 2010. Prior I only had rifles and shotguns.

Better off finding a LGS that have good people working for them, building up a relationship and work on the negotiation after they know who you are. That's what I have done anyways. Now when I know I want something I drive 2 minutes down the street to my LGS.

wife assures me that BPS will price match Cabela's on firearms, but not LGS or out of state advertisers. I plan on trying that soon on a Shield which is on sale at Cabela's for $375. I'll report back here my results.

If anyone has a link with a price advertised for less at a MA retailer, I will try that first as well.

BPS owns cabellas

We all know that. But not really and actually for a few more months though. And in any event, the BPS matching was and is way before this new event.

Two years ago Cabela's matched Four Seasons price on an M&P 9mm range kit.

Things have changed a lot since then. They have refused my last 3 or 4 attempts to get a price match at Cabela's... and not even a price match to an FSGuns price. [thinking]

My reason for doing this? 15%-20% off gift cards via eBay, of course. [smile] Yes Mike, I am one of your "skinflints"! [laugh]

Things have changed a lot since then. They have refused my last 3 or 4 attempts to get a price match at Cabela's... and not even a price match to an FSGuns price. [thinking]

My reason for doing this? 15%-20% off gift cards via eBay, of course. [smile] Yes Mike, I am one of your "skinflints"! [laugh]

That's an awful lot of effort/bs but I'll concede that 15-20% off is pretty substantial.

Don't bust the bullets of a LGS over a few bucks. I'm a cheap bastid, but I'd rather deal local for a few dollars more, than travel.

That's just me.

Of course, if it's a big price difference, that's another story.

I try to do that as well. But some stores are straight up insane.
The S&W rebate was insane. Shield 9 was from <300 to $748928493 lol

It's entirely your decision because it's your money.

But to me, I don't worry if a gun is 20 bucks more here or there. The gun really costs nothing. It's the ammo I'm going to run through it that'll cost more than the gun eventually.

I know nothing about the economics of the gun business, but I have a very hard time understanding how some of these smaller gun shops make money on guns. I'll use Pullman Arms, because I'm most familiar with them. They generally have 2 people on, sometimes just one, and it takes a good half hour to get a gun processed. And they don't sell 2 guns or 4 guns an hour all week. Maybe on weekends they get that, but certainly not during the week. So, how do they stay in business, just counting labor costs? The markup on guns must be fantastic! Don't get me wrong, I love Pullman Arms, and I'm just using them as an example. I could point to the gun shop down in Natick as another example.

So, to sum it up, I never cared if Pullman was 20 bucks more than 4 seasons. or 40 bucks. or even 60 bucks. My time and gas and wear and tear on the vehicle to drive to 4 Seasons never made any sense, and I wanted to ensure that Pullman was there for a long time to come.

Again, it's your money, but you'll be sad when the only places still selling guns are Walmart and Dicks, and the next mass shooting happens and they cancel all firearms sales, maybe for good this time.

FS sells 9mm/40 shields for ~$360 cash before the rebate. (I never use rebates in evaluating a purchase because they take too long to process) FS's price isn't that far off market floor, assuming we're not talking sales tax, etc.

I would bet the more "typical" LGS price in MA on a shield is $399+ or something. And most of them probably get it, except from the skinflints who walk by, gasp at the prospect of paying $40!!!!!! over floor, and then scurry out of the LGS like someone just cut a big fart in the shop. [rofl]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom