• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Store Customer Service -How important to you?

Yup, I can't figure out for the life of me how he's still in business... It's like a hobby, he must have made money somewhere else as I can't even imagine that store makes a positive cash flow.

It's probably a hobby, he probably got a cheap lease early for like 1000 years, and it doesn't look like he has much stock.

No chance of gettting a cup of tea and a massage while I am waiting in line for service in Four season arms. So i will pass.

I would say Al at Sportsman's in Merrimack is sort of the NH equal of gun room.

There's too many AL's to keep track of, isn't there an Al in Derry and one in Amherst that runs sportsmans trading co? I think they all have a bad rep, LMAO. (maybe he moved the store, I always thought it was in Amherst on 101A, not to be confused with gunrunners). A friend of mine used to refer to him as "That ****ing ******* on 101A." Also bear in mind this friend of mine never swears. Like ever. But he does when talking about that shop.... [rofl]

-Mike

Sportsman Trading is the one we're talking about, apparently, it's right over the line between amherst and merrimack

I have not heard much about convenience. I do a fair number of transfers at the same dealer because I drive near there on the way home. His transfer fees are not the lowest, or the highest. But his service is good and I don't lose a couple hours driving somewhere.

Now if I really want a hard to get item I'll drive for sure. Or for a stupid low price. But I won't drive far to save $25-$50 or so. Especially if it involves a very busy shop like Four Seasons where I'll often have to take a ticket and wait. It's a great shop but my time has value, even my free time.

There's too many AL's to keep track of, isn't there an Al in Derry and one in Amherst that runs sportsmans trading co? I think they all have a bad rep, LMAO. (maybe he moved the store, I always thought it was in Amherst on 101A, not to be confused with gunrunners). A friend of mine used to refer to him as "That ****ing ******* on 101A." Also bear in mind this friend of mine never swears. Like ever. But he does when talking about that shop.... [rofl]

-Mike

Yeah, I think he is in Amherst now that you mention it, the line is about 200 yards up the road from his store.

"That ****ing ******* on 101A" is his pet name.

One bad experience and I don't go back. There are plenty of shops around that are run by really nice guys who I enjoy doing business with.

I usually give them a second chance.

One time I had a somewhat disappointing experience at Manchester Firing Line and posted about it.

A few months later I walked in there just before closing and found a used gun I HAD to have. The guys working stayed late so we could get the paperwork and background check finished. They didn't have to do it, they could easily have told me to come back the next day.

A single less than satisfactory experience isn't enough to keep me away. Multiple lousy trips will, but not just one.

So what is most important to you when visiting a local gun store? Price would most likely be #1 for most people. What about next? Would customer service be the second most important thing? For me that answer is yes. I'll even go so far as to say that customer service is my #1 most important thing in a gun store. Price is a very close second, but I don't mind paying a couple extra dollars for a gun (within reason) if I'm getting superior customer service.

I'm not going to name names, unless I'm really asked, but case in point is last weekend when I visited a couple different gun stores. One had some of the best customer service I've ever seen and the other probably the worst (Next to Village and the Gun Room before they closed their doors. But I digress)

The first store was in NH and yes I know I can't buy much there being a Mass resident, but the place I visited was the epitome of good customer service. Very attentive sales force asking if I needed help and payed attention to the customers in every department. I had a question and it took me less then a couple seconds to find someone to help me. Very interested in making sure the customer is happy.

The second store is a fairly well known store in Worcester. While it had a very extensive inventory the customer service was the worst I've experienced in quite some time. A number of customers looking at guns through their glass showcases but only one person helping, so there was a bunch of people waiting. I get things are busy, but what I don't get is 4 guys behind the counter in a group discussion about how so and so got pulled over by a LE, but got off when they found out he worked at this gun store. This lead to a discussion of LEs in general in Worcester. They weren't being discrete about it and several customers, including myself ended up walking out without seeing anything. I'll never go back, so in this case they've lost a potential customer for good. I can only imagine that the manager was not on duty. If he was, he should be fired for lack of attention.

In today's market it still amazes me that some people think they can treat customers this way and still stay in business. Well, I guess they'll learn as business dries up....

Hmmm let me guess what shop that could be?

I've never been to Northeast Arms in Peabody and came away feeling pissed, ignored, unappreciated, whatever... Steve is an awesome dude who will treat you well and I don't care if I pay a little more for something there, I appreciate him and his business. "Support the little guy" or pay a few bucks less at a Cabelas or Wally World, or Collectors Gallery in Stoneham (the worst) and get treated like sh*t? Nope.
Steve gets my business, or Carl at Four Seasons (if I have time to wait).

Customer service is big for me. Went to look at a shield for the wife at a store in NE Ma and they were very busy. It was a Saturday morning so that's expected. No big deal. We stood at the counter for 5 min and I asked 1 of the gentlemen behind the counter if we could see the shield in 9mm. He reaches into the display, grabs the shield, locks the slide back,puts it on the counter and disappears to the other side of the store to help another customer. Thought that was odd but ok. Wife and I checked it out but had some questions. After about 15 min we were able to flag down that same employee. I was not to impressed with that. He put it down on the counter and pretty much disappeard I didn't even have a chance to get 2 words out.

We decide to purchase another day and leave.

Fast forward a week or so and she had decided it was what she wanted (we fired 1 and she liked it) we went back to the same store. The price was right and it is pretty close to our house. Went to the counter and purchased it. After purchasing my wife said "I want to get a little more comfortable with this before I carry but I was wondering if you could show me some options for holsters while I am here?" He said "well since your not planning on carrying right now come back when your ready" and immediately scurried away and started helping another customer. If that clerk had gone over some holsters with her and she saw one that interested her she would of most likely purchased 1.

Do I feel it was horrible customer service no. But it def wasn't good. Won't be going back there

Customer service is big for me. Went to look at a shield for the wife at a store in NE Ma and they were very busy. It was a Saturday morning so that's expected. No big deal. We stood at the counter for 5 min and I asked 1 of the gentlemen behind the counter if we could see the shield in 9mm. He reaches into the display, grabs the shield, locks the slide back,puts it on the counter and disappears to the other side of the store to help another customer. Thought that was odd but ok. Wife and I checked it out but had some questions. After about 15 min we were able to flag down that same employee. I was not to impressed with that. He put it down on the counter and pretty much disappeard I didn't even have a chance to get 2 words out.

We decide to purchase another day and leave.

Fast forward a week or so and she had decided it was what she wanted (we fired 1 and she liked it) we went back to the same store. The price was right and it is pretty close to our house. Went to the counter and purchased it. After purchasing my wife said "I want to get a little more comfortable with this before I carry but I was wondering if you could show me some options for holsters while I am here?" He said "well since your not planning on carrying right now come back when your ready" and immediately scurried away and started helping another customer. If that clerk had gone over some holsters with her and she saw one that interested her she would of most likely purchased 1.

Do I feel it was horrible customer service no. But it def wasn't good. Won't be going back there

That sounds pretty horrible, honestly. I have no patience for that kind of treatment. I'm here to give you money. Please take my money.

Shout out to Holliston Firearms...never had anything less than an exceptional experience. I went in after I applied for my LTC and saw a gun that I wanted...Mark tagged it for me. First time in the store. Three weeks later I was able to purchase. Would I pay more for this kind of service...**** YES.

Customer service and price are equal to me. You can have the best prices in the east. If you're an a**hole, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Blueridge (closed now) in Hooksett was the biggest prick I ever ran into and I let him know before I left.
I tilted a glass when I found out he went under.

Selection is the critical factor to get me in the door. The more I visit the store to look around, buy ammo, look for preban mags, the more likely I am to buy a gun. Having a bunch of rifles you can handle without talking to anyone is a great way to get people...well...me anyway...in the door.

Second would be customer service from, as Mike says, a "getting things done" perspective. I'm looking for the people there to be paying attention and willing to help, but also not bug me if I just feel like wandering around looking at stuff. What really helps get me back to a shop is if the staff generally enjoys guns and will BS with you while purchases are going through, background checks are progressing, receipts are printing, etc. At a couple local gun shops the staff have a very strange, distant attitude and it creeps me out. I don't like people who cop an attitude like they're the expert and you're an idiot either. Go ahead and offer all the info, from the super basic stuff to nitty gritty, but do it in a way that takes into account that I may already know something about what I'm looking at. Listen to what I'm saying and gauge how much I know based on that.

I don't shop around all that much because the place I go has a reputation for having low prices and they have exactly the customer service I describe. If I moved somewhere further away, I would have to give price more attention.

"Don'ts" include narcing on people or other stores to the cops, talking shit about potential customers, giving other customers erroneous information about gun laws, being a Fudd, etc.

Last edited:
I've never been to Northeast Arms in Peabody and came away feeling pissed, ignored, unappreciated, whatever... Steve is an awesome dude who will treat you well and I don't care if I pay a little more for something there, I appreciate him and his business. "Support the little guy" or pay a few bucks less at a Cabelas or Wally World, or Collectors Gallery in Stoneham (the worst) and get treated like sh*t? Nope.
Steve gets my business, or Carl at Four Seasons (if I have time to wait).

Collectors was great when I went there only been once the guy was extremely nice would go back if I was ever in the area

I've always looked at reviews at different local gun shops before even stepping in them to avoid having a bad experience. So far never had a bad experience at any one. Heck some of the most helpful people i ever encountered in retail has been in gun shops.

There were times when the person helping me would call another more knowledgable employee about a particular firearm to help because they felt like they would better help and explain things to me.

I have not heard much about convenience. I do a fair number of transfers at the same dealer because I drive near there on the way home. His transfer fees are not the lowest, or the highest. But his service is good and I don't lose a couple hours driving somewhere.

Now if I really want a hard to get item I'll drive for sure. Or for a stupid low price. But I won't drive far to save $25-$50 or so. Especially if it involves a very busy shop like Four Seasons where I'll often have to take a ticket and wait. It's a great shop but my time has value, even my free time.

I actually shop based on a different kind of convenience. I don't mind driving far long as the shop is open when I need it to be. I have a few shops I use that have evening and weekend hours a couple days a week which plays strongly into the reasons that I keep going back. Back before it got stupid crowded I used to drop a lot of cash at FS... why? Cause it was open till like 8? on Thursday nights. Efficiency of transfers helps in some circumstances, can't beat that. Precision Point is really good for that, Johnny will get you in and out quickly. Actually in his case he has both... in the rare event I am getting a transfer, I can stop by on a weeknight which makes things 100X better.

-Mike

Price and selection, particularly on the accessories. As to customer service - I realize you can't expect an expert on anything for the $10 to $12 /hour that shop clerks get paid (the exception being when you deal with the owner)

Thanks for posting this. I'm fairly certain that is the same shop I was going to go to today. I guess someone else will be getting my money. The only problem is the convenience of working in Worcester, but I will wait until I'm off to go elsewhere.

That sounds pretty horrible, honestly. I have no patience for that kind of treatment. I'm here to give you money. Please take my money.

After the issue with getting assistance with the handgun I was willing to give them the benefit of doubt but with the holster situation that told me that they don't necessarily want/need my buisness.

Can I put in a plug for Rileys in Hookset, NH? They have an outstanding store with great inventory, and they also have above-the-call-of-duty service. They went out of their way to help me transfer a couple of handguns from NH to MA by driving the items to an FFL in MA. So, kudos to Rileys, and Traditional Weaponry in Boxborough, MA! Both of these businesses are run by competent, professional, and personable individuals!

After the issue with getting assistance with the handgun I was willing to give them the benefit of doubt but with the holster situation that told me that they don't necessarily want/need my buisness.

Sounds like the kind of place I would avoid, because I just can't deal with that. I don't need to be doted upon, but if I'm trying to buy something from you, for God's sake, don't ignore me. Then I'll find a better place and tell my friends.

For me , selection, price and service are all pretty important.
I tend to favor Four Seasons as they are good on all 3, but going into that shop
at 3:00 on a Tuesday afternoon vs anytime on Saturday is a Completely different experience.
Those guys get run ragged on Saturdays and you have to be prepared to wait patiently
if you go on a Saturday.
The guys at Norwood Armory at very nice and helpful. Their selection is not bad either
I may give them a try when I start looking for a .22 for the Mrs.

Thanks for posting this. I'm fairly certain that is the same shop I was going to go to today. I guess someone else will be getting my money. The only problem is the convenience of working in Worcester, but I will wait until I'm off to go elsewhere.
Pulman is in Worcester and they are great

Here's a female perspective. A lot of gun stores, well let me be honest here, and say that a lot of them look no different that an oversized closet with a pegboard on one wall with some guns hanging on it. Some could use a woman's touch or at least brighten the place up a bit with some white paint. Also it's nice to have a gun shop where they don't start off with 'this is what you need right here ma'am', as if I'm some kind of nincompoop. After sales service is nice too. I would like to top this off by saying I would rather give my money to a local gun shop than any chain store every single day of the week.

In all my travels, I have only run into 2 gun stores that actually want a woman's business and actually care about it: Guns Inc in West Springfield, MA and Minuteman Armory in Templeton. Both are clean inside, bright, well lit, will take time and be patient. I was like a damn rocket scientist when I wanted my first handgun, and the folks in West Springfield were so very patient, I just knew I had to give them my business and my repeat business. The guys at Minuteman even did trigger rework for me on my revolver and they have been alright in my book.

I have run into a few gun shops that actively took other male customers and looked right past me as if I wasn't there, or I was the wife or girlfriend just standing around for no reason, instead of being the damn buyer. I waited at one place for about 25 minutes and basically walked out and said forget it, and have never stepped foot in there again. Then again I have run into the same thing at Best Buy and electronics stores.

Back
Top Bottom