• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Storage

She doesn't have to shoot. Just go and chat with the ladies and learn a little.

Yup, and it's called negotiation. You did it once a long time ago to get her to do "immoral things" prior to marriage, now use those smooth operator skills to get her to a good even for learning.

Send her to a "Become an Outdoors Woman" or "Women on Target" day. A safe environment with all women. She'll have a ball, and it will change her way of thinking.

...I pointed out that it will be impossible to prevent our daughter from ever knowing that I have guns! She is under some delusion that it needs to be that way for her "safety". Of course this is plain silly, because the only chance you have of real safety is through proper education - not trying to hide it's existence.

I had a similar conversation with my wife about gun safety. She is of the belief that if we prevent our son from seeing them, he won't even know that they exist.

My counter was that I clearly remember rummaging through my parent's room when I was ten and they were not home, in search of guns or other cool weapons. I just knew that my dad had to have a pistol hidden somewhere. Though I have since learned that he did not own a gun, I know that had there been a hidden firearm I would have done my best to get a hold of it. Since I knew absolutely nothing about firearms, I probably would have blown a hole in myself.

Hiding a gun does not work. Even if it's kept under lock and key, there will come a time when you are putting your gun away and the phone will ring, or your youngest child will start finger-painting on the living room wall with the dog's dinner, and you'll run off and forget that your pistol is sitting in a safe with an open door. That is when you'll wish your child was trained not to touch a gun without the permission of an adult.

I live in metrowest and belong to Westwood Gun Club. I've taken lots of newbies to the range, including my two daughters and other male and female friends. Many have gone on to get their firearms license.

The comment about ear protection is dead on. My oldest daughter was not afraid of guns per se, but the noise. Once she realized the noise was not bad she was fine, and went on to get her LTC-A. Eye protection is important for their peace of mind too.

My wife agreed to a safe in our home for several reasons. One certainly was the firearms, keeping them out of harms way, but she also now had a place to store other valuables and things of importance. It was a win-win.

I always start off with a safety overview, and I find women in general pay close attention and ask great questions. We always start with a .22 rifle with a scope, and that helps newbies realize that not only is the firearm not hurtful, it is fun. The scope lets them see how well they can shoot, and it is easier for them than iron sights. I find for a lot of newbies having early success is an important factor in their interest in returning to the range.

I also bring a .22 semi-auto handgun for them to try. I teach them about revolvers, but I don't have a .22 revolver as yet. If they are feeling up to it I'll let them try a 9mm. Generally I'll supply a shooter friendly revolver... one without a lot recoil. I find a Sig 229 a good choice for women in particular. The grip is not too big, and it is heavy enough to minimize felt recoil.

Done properly newbies can be transformed from cautious and suspicious to fans of our sport. After a few successful shots I often hear "that wasn't bad at all" and "this is fun".

Cheers,

Rich

First, don't ever hide a gun from a 9 year old. Show them what it is and what it can do ( teach them all firearms rules) and warn them not to touch it without you. It's much more dangerous to hide it. If they find it they will be curious. I have a 9 year old also. Second, go get your training and license first before worrying about the gun in the house. If you are considering leaving it offsite, don't! Just rent a gun when you want to go shoot. Their is no point in a gun somewhere else if you need it. Tell her to give you reasons why a gun locked in a safe could be a problem.

I had a similar conversation with my wife about gun safety. She is of the belief that if we prevent our son from seeing them, he won't even know that they exist.

My counter was that I clearly remember rummaging through my parent's room when I was ten and they were not home, in search of guns or other cool weapons. I just knew that my dad had to have a pistol hidden somewhere. Though I have since learned that he did not own a gun, I know that had there been a hidden firearm I would have done my best to get a hold of it. Since I knew absolutely nothing about firearms, I probably would have blown a hole in myself.

Hiding a gun does not work. Even if it's kept under lock and key, there will come a time when you are putting your gun away and the phone will ring, or your youngest child will start finger-painting on the living room wall with the dog's dinner, and you'll run off and forget that your pistol is sitting in a safe with an open door. That is when you'll wish your child was trained not to touch a gun without the permission of an adult.

I didn't finish writing all of these points, but what you say is exactly the examples I was trying to illustrate. Kids will ALWAYS find what you have, so it's sometimes better not to have that elusive mystery there. Where do live? I see Pioneer Valley, and that's where I am also (Feeding Hills).

First, don't ever hide a gun from a 9 year old. Show them what it is and what it can do ( teach them all firearms rules) and warn them not to touch it without you. It's much more dangerous to hide it. If they find it they will be curious. I have a 9 year old also. Second, go get your training and license first before worrying about the gun in the house. If you are considering leaving it offsite, don't! Just rent a gun when you want to go shoot. Their is no point in a gun somewhere else if you need it. Tell her to give you reasons why a gun locked in a safe could be a problem.

I think you may have mixed me up with the op, as I'm the one with the 9 y.o., but your points are very valid - especially about it being "much more dangerous to hide it". I definitely don't agree with my wife's perspective on this subject, so I will not only revisit it, but will probably have to take the education thing into my own hands, and take my chances on being thrown out.[wink] I'm hoping that once she takes the ltc class, it will change some of these irrational thoughts.

Hi all.

I am looking to purchase a handgun but my wife and I are at odds about keeping it in the house. Are there any ranges in the greater Boston area (specifically metro west) that offer gun storage/lockers?

Thanks!

I had similar issues with my wife. She didn't want guns in the house mostly because we have a 9 year old son. I went out on a limb and applied for my LTC anyway before we came to any agreement. In the meantime I kept talking about all of the crimes in the area and stressing the home invasions in NH and CT. She seemed to be coming around a little bit. Then when my LTC came in I just said look at this and showed it to her. She freaked out a little bit but then said so I guess now you're going to buy a gun. I told her I was going to buy a safe and then buy a gun. She didn't really say much more so I ended it there. The next day I showed her the gun and the safe. Now sometimes when we go out she'll ask if I'm carrying and when I say yes she'll say- OK, good. She recently heard something going on outside the house one night and told me she wanted to wake me up to get the gun but decided not to when whatever it was stopped or went away. She's done a complete 180 from being borderline anti to enjoying the piece of mind that comes from having a gun in the house. I'm now working on getting her out for her first range trip and things are looking good for that. It will likely be soon. If you can establish the need and convince her that you will keep things 100% safe she'll come around.....

Yeah but how do you get her to go to an AWARE event?
I think that would be easier than getting her to go to a different NRA Basic Pistol class -- tell her that it is given by women, who will give her a women's perspective on firearms. My recommendation would be for her to go alone. Folks often don't learn well (or change their minds) in the presence of their spouses.

Does anyone here have any direct experience with these AWARE events? Just curious about the "type" of woman that are members. If they are hillbilly, bulldyke types, then it could go way the other direction, but if they are normal, professional types, then it would help bring them around to our way of thinking. Disclaimer: not that there is anything wrong with the hillbilly, bulldyke types...[wink][laugh]

Wow, what a discussion this question has started. Awesome. Glad to see I'm not alone in this boat.

Fencer, thanks for the invite. I'll let you know.

I have a lot to learn myself. I've shot rifles and a .22 revolver years ago, but nothing in a long time. My purpose for getting the gun will be two-fold: home protection and fun at the range.

As for the wife...I'm not sure what the next step is. She shuts down pretty quick when I bring it up. I think I will be up front and go take the class then apply for the permit. That way I will be better schooled and it will, hopefully, de-mystify the whole thing to her. It is definitely an irrational fear since she won't tell me, and doesn't know, why the aversion is so strong. Unfortunately those types of fears are the hardest to get over since they are just that, irrational.

Great conversation, though. Thanks to everyone for chipping in.

BTW, the link was not working in regards to the NH & CT home invasions. Anyone have that info? Thanks.

I'm from CT and we live in Franklin, MA. Nice town...but that's what everyone says...

Wow, what a discussion this question has started. Awesome. Glad to see I'm not alone in this boat.

Fencer, thanks for the invite. I'll let you know.

I have a lot to learn myself. I've shot rifles and a .22 revolver years ago, but nothing in a long time. My purpose for getting the gun will be two-fold: home protection and fun at the range.

As for the wife...I'm not sure what the next step is. She shuts down pretty quick when I bring it up. I think I will be up front and go take the class then apply for the permit. That way I will be better schooled and it will, hopefully, de-mystify the whole thing to her. It is definitely an irrational fear since she won't tell me, and doesn't know, why the aversion is so strong. Unfortunately those types of fears are the hardest to get over since they are just that, irrational.

Great conversation, though. Thanks to everyone for chipping in.

Can you at least sign the both of you up for the class? "Safety training is always good, and it is something different we can do together."

My lady started off as an anti-gun liberal....she's now a self professed libertarian. A little bit of work and a lot of conversation can go a long way. She'll come around, just break the ice and take her to a class. Whatever you do, don't leave it out of the house...you'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it...and if it's in storage, won't do you much good if the day you need it comes.

Does anyone here have any direct experience with these AWARE events? Just curious about the "type" of woman that are members. If they are hillbilly, bulldyke types, then it could go way the other direction, but if they are normal, professional types, then it would help bring them around to our way of thinking. Disclaimer: not that there is anything wrong with the hillbilly, bulldyke types...[wink][laugh]
My girlfriend still has some Anti/Liberal ideas sadly. She is coming around, but at a snails pace. I brought her to a NES dinner once and she met Nicole. She couldn't believe someone who looked like her (professional type) was not only a owner but also worked with the second amendment sisters. I think it was a bit of a wake up call that not all gun owners are knuckle dragging men lol.

Hi all.

I am looking to purchase a handgun but my wife and I are at odds about keeping it in the house. Are there any ranges in the greater Boston area (specifically metro west) that offer gun storage/lockers?

Thanks!

Yes. Manchester Firing Line in Manchester, NH does.
Rifle size and pistol size.

After reading all the similar situations a lot of couples have with their gun differences, I consider myself extremely lucky. My wife (who had never shot a gun) was the one who told me that I should get my LTC after she saw news reports of the home invasions that have already been talked about on this thread. I had always wanted to get into shooting for sport, but I hadn't brought up the subject with my wife because I didn't think she would like guns in the house (we have a preschooler). After I had applied and received my LTC, I wanted to take my time researching and finding the best "first gun" and to my surprise, each week my wife would ask me if I had picked one yet. She basically pushed me to get a gun more quickly that I would have gotten it on my own. She now has taken her basic firearms course and is waiting for her LTC. When I recently bought a shotgun from another NES'er, I think she was more excited than I was!

To the OP, I would agree with some of the others on here who have said to point out the value of having a gun for home defense in light of the home invasions, etc that are going on in this world.

Although I've never gone thru this and all these anti gun wives make me want to facepalm....

I think the more infomation and gun people these wives meet, the more they will feel comfortable with it. Meeting women who are active in shooting sports may help as well.
Renting a gun, taking them shooting and giving them exposure to it may do the trick.

Every situation is different......

At the end of the day, guns are tools, my wife would have no comment/ nor care on what tools I need to buy work on my house, or to keep my family safe, no more than I would have any comment/care on what shoes she needed to buy for her next outfit, or what makeup she needs to buy to make herself look good.

Its pretty simple really....it's, not about being the man, wearing the pants..etc. It's all about trust. If she doesn't trust you to have a gun in the house safely, then one really has to wonder. Your a grown adult. If she questions training, or your experience...get some training, and experience. She may need a comfort level. The excuse about not trusting the gun doesn't hold water.....a gun will sit there all day in a safe and do nothing.

If it just scares her to have a gun in the house....it's a pretty irrational fear.....deadly weapons are everywhere in a house, hammers, knives, and yard tools. At least guns are stored in safes......those other weapons aren't. Remember her fear of guns has been inbred by the mainstream media and maybe how she grew up....your job is to teach her common sense, from all the nonsense she has learned over the years.......

Last edited:

Yes, I do. I have taken their classes and helped out as an assistant instructor. Their instructors are all very nice folks, many in the high tech industry around Boston, and none of them match your description.

Yes, I do. I have taken their classes and helped out as an assistant instructor. Their instructors are all very nice folks, many in the high tech industry around Boston, and none of them match your description.

That is great to hear, as it would just give her one more excuse not come over to the "dark side".

On a side note, it has been a slow, steady progression since last fall when I took my class to get her on board. All was going very well until a couple of weeks ago when she found out that a family friend of ours had lost one of her children to a "handgun incident".[rolleyes] We have known her for many years, and knew that she had actually lost both of her children, one from a medication interaction while traveling abroad, and the other to a car accident (at least that was our understanding). So, in the course of conversation, my wife brings up my new hobby, and is met with some grim silence, followed by the friend telling her that her ex-husband got into the hobby, and wanted a hangun for protection, yada, yada. Well, one day while they weren't around, their 17 y.o. son got ahold of it (I don't know the particulars of whether it was locked up, or not), and shot himself in the head, and died - obviously. Well, I suppose it's needless to say that hearing this story did nothing to help my cause![frown]

This reminds me of telling people that I ride motorcycles. "Oh, my uncle Ned was killed on one..." [rolleyes]

Well, this was a bit different, because it was "close to home", not just something that we read in the paper, and it involved a kid that was the same age as one of our sons. It just gave my wife a bit more "ammunition" for her argument, even though the situation I described was thought to have been a suicide - not an AD. That was a situation where she pointed out the fact that having the gun in the house made the means for the act very accessible. Sure, he could have hanged himself, ingested pills, etc., but it was one of those icky guns again, ya know.[rolleyes]

Well, this was a bit different, because it was "close to home", not just something that we read in the paper, and it involved a kid that was the same age as one of our sons. It just gave my wife a bit more "ammunition" for her argument, even though the situation I described was thought to have been a suicide - not an AD. That was a situation where she pointed out the fact that having the gun in the house made the means for the act very accessible. Sure, he could have hanged himself, ingested pills, etc., but it was one of those icky guns again, ya know.[rolleyes]

Yup. Understood. One of my best friend's little brother did hang himself some years back.

Of course, had the gun been locked up, it couldn't have happened. (NOT arguing for safe storage laws; just showing a way around the problem).

Back
Top Bottom