• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun storage and surface rust

groundscrapers

NES Member
Is there anything I can spray on my gun to help prevent surface rust during storage. I was rather disappointed to see surface rust on my 870 when I pulled it out.

There are a lot of products, I like remington oil. I also use a can of damprid to keep the safe dry.

Are you storing it in a safe or in an individual gun case. I find the safe with damprid helped my guns a bunch.

sent from tapatalk mobile app

Right now it was just in a zip up case. I can't wait to get a safe but I need to move first so I have the space for it.

Right now it was just in a zip up case. I can't wait to get a safe but I need to move first so I have the space for it.

The zip case might be part of the problem. It absorbs moisture and holds it close to the surface of the gun. Some silicia packets put in with the gun might help. As well as treating the surface of the gun.

You could also try wrapping it in VCI paper. Eddie Coyle still might have some for sale. I have a .22 rifle that I've been storing for a while and the VCI paper has kept it rust free.

The zip case might be part of the problem. It absorbs moisture and holds it close to the surface of the gun. Some silicia packets put in with the gun might help. As well as treating the surface of the gun.

Yeah, soft gun cases are some of the worst possible places to store guns. Some even warn of this on the internal label, but anything that has padding stands a good chance of being a moisture wick...

a zip up case is for transportation, not storage. Get a safe and wipe down the surface of the gun with some sort of rust preventative like CLP

I use T-9 Boeshield on anything I don't want corrosion on... my guns, my machine tools, various parts of my car and Jeep...

One of the few good uses of WD40 is as a light rust preventer. The kerosene in it leaves a wax behind when it dries and the wax is a good shield. It's not something I'd use if I were burying one (cosmolene for that) but it's decent.

a zip up case is for transportation, not storage. Get a safe and wipe down the surface of the gun with some sort of rust preventative like CLP

I typically don't store it in the case but I had plans to go to the range last weekend but I ended up taking a nap that was the better part of 6 hours and it blew my day lol. So the gun was basically in the case for 1 week and it rusted. A safe isn't an option at the moment due to space. The best I could swing would be wall mounted stack on type of safe.

The best easy thing is called Boeshield. It was developed by Boeing. It leaves a wax behind after the solvents evaporate. Think of it as spray on cosmoline

Another excellent choice is motorcycle chain lube. It contains rust inhibitors and goes on thin. Then the solvents evaporate leaving a heavy grease behind. Because it goes on thin it flows into things.

The gun will need to be cleaned before use but that's a given for anything that will protect for long term storage

I typically don't store it in the case but I had plans to go to the range last weekend but I ended up taking a nap that was the better part of 6 hours and it blew my day lol. So the gun was basically in the case for 1 week and it rusted. A safe isn't an option at the moment due to space. The best I could swing would be wall mounted stack on type of safe.
Build a temperature/humidity controlled man-cave with microprocessor monitoring and temperature control down to the 1/10th of a degree...

Either that or get some desiccant packs and toss them the in the case while you solve your storage issue.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=278119

Unfortunately, with the right conditions, rust happens VERY fast...

Same exact thing happened to my 870. Forgot to unpack it from the banana case after the range. A few days later I took it out and it had surface rust on it. Still a little left. Now its in my safe with CLP wiped all over it.

The best product I've found for preventing rust during long term storage is ZEP IronClad.

I have guns sprayed with it that were put away 8 years ago and not a hint of rust. Cleans off easily with mineral spirits or non chlorinated carb or brake cleaner.

BTW, never store a gun in a case.

IRONCLAD Solvent-Based Protective Coating
BENEFITS: Ready-to-use, solvent-based liquid dries to form a transparent, wax-type protective film that is self-repairing, weldable, and non-combustible. Provides long-term, indoor and outdoor corrosion protection for ferrous and non-ferrous metal surfaces. Unique moisture-displacing action permits the formation of a tightly adherent bond on the base metal, even under damp conditions. Will not crack, peel or sag from -40°F to 500°F. Also available in liquid form.

For short term storage, use a spray on oil and let it dry to a film.

I bought a pistol that came with a soft sided case. I bought another soft sided case at a gun show for my older pistol. Shot both of them last weekend, got lazy and zipped them up and stored them. Pulled them out tonight and freaked as they both had some rust! A little rem oil and elbow grease and thy re fine. Damn the soft sided cases. Here i was thinking i was puting them in a nice cozy home but instead killing them!

Last edited:
One of the biggest culprits for guns stored in a closet, for instance, is dust. Dust will settle on a dry barrel and that dust is what attracts moisture in the air (humid air especially). That's where you're problems start. A good coat of any good gun oil will prevent that and maybe a quick wipedown once every two weeks.

I was asked to sell a handful of long guns and a couple of pistols for a family. They had provided me with a list and I was impressed with the quality of the deceased person's small collection. Sight unseen, I valued it at about $3500. Then I got my mits on them and discovered that this old guy had simply let them in his closet for a number of years. You guessed it: pitts all over the nice bluing and finishes on everying. Bottom line is that they sold for just over 1/2 of what they could have if only he had wiped them down once and a while. Too bad.

Rome

Zerust Capsules work great on all kind of machinery for long-term storage :

http://www.zerustproducts.com/firearms-weapons/?zenid=87bcaead30d3afa1f7f4c9b89f2d4e00

I keep something like this inside my soft sided bag I use for duck hunting. I cut open one of those zerust type bags and duct taped it to the inside of my case.
The duck gun goes in damp. Sometimes wet. Sometimes for hours. I've never had a single instance of even a little rust. Which is a big deal since I stepped UP from an 870 Express to a Benelli Super Black Eagle II. (Left handed in Advantage HD)

Don

I've also had good luck with the Rem Oil Moisture Guard w/ Rust preventative on my milsurps before I started using a desicant. Not sure if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom