Gun Solves a Problem Peacefully

I guess this is why in the Old West they called a colt a peacemaker. Here’s an article about a CCW permit holder in CA (how did he get a permit), catch an intruder in his store. No one was hurt. So far the store owner is not going to jail.

Oroville Business Owner Fights Back After String Of Burglaries, Catches Suspect « CBS Sacramento

I wonder what the statistics are for encounters with criminals where the potential victim has a gun and the encounter ends without violence. As opposed to an encounter between an unarmed victim and a criminal where the victim gets his head bashed in. Of course the antis don't want those statistics coming out.

Why are you glorifying the unfortunate fact that this thug will be released to hurt someone else? Its better for society if the victim use the gun in the way that it was intended if they have the right to do so. And, its probably safer for the victim to do so as well.

Why are you glorifying the unfortunate fact that this thug will be released to hurt someone else? Its better for society if the victim use the gun in the way that it was intended if they have the right to do so. And, its probably safer for the victim to do so as well.

Not glorifying anything. It appears when confronted the criminal immediatley assumed a "surrender" position and futhermore did not threaten the store owner. I do not know what kind of CCW training you have had but all the traininig I had indicated the store owner did exactly the right thing. Of course you would have had to be there. The CCW training I have had by people far more knowledgeable than me indicates you shoot at a last resort. The way I read the article the last resort circumstance did not occur. Given its CA if the store owner had shoot, I bet he would have gone to jail. Would you have preferred he just execute the criminal?

Video froze up half way through. What happened after they ID'd him and showed his mugshot. Textis the same way, can't read more than a paragraph or two, djnno why.

I wonder what the statistics are for encounters with criminals where the potential victim has a gun and the encounter ends without violence.

there are no good data for the number of encounters where guns were used and no one was injured. It's hard to prove a negative/non-event. Previous studies were poorly conducted surveys.
When an anti complains that research is being suppressed by "gun nuts" remind them that the lack of good data goes both ways.

Not true.

Not true.

I am basing my statement on this:

General Laws: CHAPTER 278, Section 8A

which states that

"Section 8A. In the prosecution of a person who is an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring one who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in his dwelling at the time of the offense and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall be no duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling."

No reference to property - just to defending from injury/death.

I am not a lawyer and I already spent too much time trying to find the part of MGL that defines the lawful use of a weapon, so please point me to the section of MGL that allows use of deadly force in defense of property.

Yes, but you have to sleep out at your store. That is not fun. Who knows how many nights he spent on that concrete sidewalk before the thief showed up.
It sends a good message to would-be thieves not to f with this guy's shop.

Better message sent would be in a casket.

"I really don't mean that, crappy day."

This is the "other California", where permits are handed out like it's NH.

Yup. Despite the border checkpoint at the OR/CA border (seriously), northern CA is more like southern Oregon. With taxes. And meth-heads. And expensive gasoline. And Pelican Bay, and all the families of Pelican Bay inmates (see 'meth-heads', above). Not at all hard to get a CCW permit. And not at all advisable to cross the border to Crescent Shitty, CA while NOT carrying.

Petaluma seems to be the approximate dividing line between semi-free America and Kalifornia. And for bonus points, they have an In-n-Out.

I guess this is why in the Old West they called a colt a peacemaker. Here’s an article about a CCW permit holder in CA (how did he get a permit), catch an intruder in his store. No one was hurt. So far the store owner is not going to jail.

Oroville Business Owner Fights Back After String Of Burglaries, Catches Suspect « CBS Sacramento

I wonder what the statistics are for encounters with criminals where the potential victim has a gun and the encounter ends without violence. As opposed to an encounter between an unarmed victim and a criminal where the victim gets his head bashed in. Of course the antis don't want those statistics coming out.

The stats that I have seen are something ranging from 860,000 to 2.5 million crimes are stopped by guns each year. A shot is fired less than 1% in of those incidents.

If I pull a gun and the attacker runs away, I'm not going to shoot him in the back.

If I pull a gun and the attacker runs away, I'm not going to shoot him in the back.

I understand why you wouldn't. And, I wouldn't if it is illegal. But, society would be better off if it were legal. You would be saving the next victim.

Thugs don't turn their life around just because they have a gun pulled on them during an attack.

And pretending that guns are good to solve problems peacefully is illogical and counter productive. For one thing, it just passes the problem off to the next poor sole that happens to be victimized by the thug. For another thing, the fact that guns are great tools of violence is the only reason why this was resolved "peacefully" anyway.

If guns solve problems peacefully then maybe we should prosecute people for using them instead of just pointing them.

If guns solve problems peacefully then maybe we shouldn't allow people to carry standard capacity magazines.

If guns solve problems peacefully then maybe we shouldn't allow people to carry loaded guns.

See where I'm going?

The concept of peace is rediculous, subjective, and overrated. Justice is when the victim of an attack ends legally ends the life of the attacker. That is much more important than peace. Actually, it contributes much more to a peaceful society than "peacefully" using a gun to catch a thug, slap him on the wrist, then turn him loose on the next poor victim.

Back
Top Bottom