gun sniffing dog? is that a thing?

rep308

NES Member

Gun-sniffing dog nabs Neiman Marcus thief who was armed with loaded 9-millimeter pistol and carrying $1,000 of stolen items​

The story is all about yet another scumbag, but are Gun Sniffing Dogs a thing? Do they train them for the smell of gunpowder, residue or Hoppes?

On Northwoods Law (NH Game Wardens) they have several dogs that are trained for gunpowder. They can go out in a field and find a wad, shell or hull. I don't know how long it can sit in the field before the residue can't be detected.

I have it on good authority that the dogs can find a week old .22lr case in tall grass. I am not sure if that is a week old case in tall grass or a case in tall grass a week later.

Original story, from Crime in Wrigleyville/Boystown blog:

Note that the chain of events where
the dog tells handlers
to tell vanilla store guards
to watch the suspect,
who then catch him shoplifting,
means that the dog's reliability is not subject to questioning.

Unless the defense wants to argue that
the dog has actually been trained to racially profile people.
You know, like this:

The story is all about yet another scumbag, but are Gun Sniffing Dogs a thing?
Yes; heavily-armed K-9 officers lead them around leashed all the time.
56293733-10692099-image-a-9_1649257692840.jpg

(Strangely, they never seem to hump the K-9 officers' legs even though they're strapped).

But that's officially: Meh.

Old and Busted: Gun-sniffing dogs
The New Hotness: Ghost-gun sniffing dogs

On Northwoods Law (NH Game Wardens) they have several dogs that are trained for gunpowder. They can go out in a field and find a wad, shell or hull. I don't know how long it can sit in the field before the residue can't be detected.
Depends; the dog can detect "evidence" long after it can no longer detect evidence.

Gun-sniffing dog nabs Neiman Marcus thief who was armed with loaded 9-millimeter pistol and carrying $1,000 of stolen items​

The story is all about yet another scumbag, but are Gun Sniffing Dogs a thing? Do they train them for the smell of gunpowder, residue or Hoppes?
We need moar laws!!! OMG!!! o_O [shocked]:eek: o_O[shocked] :eek: o_O[shocked] :eek:[shocked]

Per a FB post in the past month, my former PD's dog just finished training to detect guns and gunpowder. I'm friends with his handler and if we ever connect again I'll see if the dog detects it on me or not. Since I hate going into MA except for hit-and-run doctor appointments, it's really unlikely that I'll make that connection however.

Yes, it's real. From what I remember from a class some years ago, dogs can be trained to do two different things. LE dogs are trained for apprehension, but often one second skill. Guns, drugs, explosives being the most common. At one time the Boston Fire Department had a dog trained to detect accelerants used in arson fires, but I don't know if they still do. SAR teams have dogs trained to find live victims and other dogs that will detect cadavers.

Some states game wardens have dogs that can find spent casings or shotgun hulls and wads.

I guess you can train them to find just about anything with a scent.

OTOH, cats disdain the idea of earning their keep. ;)

Gedda loada this pretextual ragtime:

Armed K-9 officers with a "gun-sniffing dog" is about as believable
as a drug-sniffing dog executing a search while handled by Tyrone Biggums.
tyrone-frenchie.jpg

Old and Busted: Gun-sniffing dogs
The New Hotness: Ghost-gun sniffing dogs
Old and Busted: Ghost-gun sniffing dogs
The New Hotness: Airsoft-gun sniffing dogs

SCOTUS made the bullshit call that a dog's nose is probable cause to search and seizure (4A violation). Now, they can make a dog say yes to anything and then LEO has a field day on you. Terrible call by SCOTUS.

SCOTUS made the bullshit call that a dog's nose is probable cause to search and seizure (4A violation). Now, they can make a dog say yes to anything and then LEO has a field day on you. Terrible call by SCOTUS.
Prudent defense lawyers move to suppress, because reasons:

Legal gun owners careening towards a gun-sniffer prompted search
of their cars (why would that even happen?) may have
a potential advantage over drug smugglers, et. al.

What happens to probable cause if they hand over a perfectly empty knapsack
that they've dragged around the brass, cordite dust, and lead-shaving encrusted
forecourt of their range; saying "I sure hope that gun sniffing dog doesn't alert
because of this knapsack I was using at the gun club..."?

The stars are unlikely to align well enough for that to ever happen.
But I bet hilarity would ensue.

Then again, never say never.

Prudent defense lawyers move to suppress, because reasons:

Inaccuracy of drug dog results. Only 44 percent of dog alerts in a Chicago Tribune study led to the discovery of paraphernalia or drugs.
With that extreme degree of inaccuracy, it's unfathomable that a dog's nose is sufficient for reasonable articulable suspicion.

With that extreme degree of inaccuracy, it's unfathomable that a dog's nose is sufficient for reasonable articulable suspicion.
I agree but our courts love to f*** 4A straight up the ass. How many cases have been dumped because of dog sniffing being considered not good enough? My guess is zero or close to it.

Absolutely. When I was stationed at Habscom AFB I got pulled to the side when the dog at the gate alerted the handler. Had to go through secondary inspection.....the SSG had the dog recheck my car and the dog alerted in the back of the SUV and my center console. Both had no guns.....and the SSG asked me if I had guns in the car recently. I had shot trap the night before and had my shotgun in the bac and had stored my handgun in the center console when I was shooting trap. SSG laughed.....said good to go sir have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom