Gun shows south of boston

mac1911

NES Member
Are there ever going to be any large shows south of boston! north west seems to get them all. The small club shows, well they are starting to be not worth the 7 bucks to get in.[sad2]

The answer is NO!

When Demetri sold his place to Marge Claptrap's Husband (a staunch anti-gun person), that was the end of the Foxboro gun shows (same promoter as Marlboro/Big E/etc.).

Gillette Stadium was contacted about that venue (the DFCI Quonset hut behind the stadium would be perfect size), but refused to return phone calls . . . e.g. not interested.

After 9/11, all MA NG armories were "off limits". A couple of years ago they said they would allow gun shows, but nobody could bring a gun into the armory! <DOH!!> Local gun clubs used to run ~200 table shows at these venues before 9/11.

wait, there is gun interest south of boston? other than holbrook?

Sure.

What about Plymouth, Kingston, etc. Duxbury lefties don't represent the whole South Shore. We even still have a Republican rep at the State House - Vinny DeMacedo.

All is not lost.

For a decent sized "trade show" you need ~50K sq ft to start plus adequate parking AND a willing lessor (who doesn't freak out at the thought of guns on their property)!

I've been involved in planning trade show when I was a member of two chambers of commerce and the venues on the South side of Boston are relatively small.

Foxboro (currently Christina's) is <18K sq ft and held ~300 tables for the gun show. Tables aways sold out, parking was max'd out. It was small, but always brought a good gate (crowd), so Carole liked the venue. Current owner is a Brady person, so that's out.

Two venues in Randolph are tiny in comparison (Lantana's - 7K sq ft and Lombardo's - 12K sq ft). Since they do multiple functions/day with expensive meals added, a two day show with burgers/dogs would hurt them financially . . . or the cost to the promoter (for a much smaller venue) would be totally out of sight. With the gang problems in Randolph, I couldn't see the Police Chief or Town approving such an event either.

Only large venue is Gillette's indoor training facility, 80K sq ft. Both Carole and I have approached them at different times. They weren't interested enough to return calls. I don't think that they would allow anything to do with firearms on their property (I was shocked that they allowed BassPro to open there). If this was ever feasible, it would easily be the largest show in MA for vendors and gate! I just don't see it happening. [sad]

For a decent sized "trade show" you need ~50K sq ft to start plus adequate parking AND a willing lessor (who doesn't freak out at the thought of guns on their property)!

What about an empty warehouse in an industrial park such as Cabot Industrial Park in Mansfield, Forge Park in Franklin, Myles Standish in Taunton, University Ave in Westwood / Norwood etc., etc. I know that some of these buildings have over 100,000 sq ft of space. There are plenty of places to park and in Westwood and Franklin the T stops right at the park.

LTCRN, very good ideas, IFF local zoning laws allow for such a use.

I know that in my town, you can't have a retail operation in an Industrial Zone (such as what you describe), with limited exception for an eating place that strictly caters to employees in the industrial park.

For that to work, one would have to check Zoning Bylaws, then contact owner and ascertain if they would rent for a 3-day period (many won't) or allow a "gun show" and have parking for >1000 cars. Assuming that it's all good, then you'd have to contact Carole to put her in touch with the right person. Don't expect anything for your efforts either.

I put Carole on track for the Marlboro location and never even got a free pass (or thank you) to a show. I only get a free pass if I'm working the GOAL table, otherwise I pay the gate just like all the rest of us.

LTCRN, very good ideas, IFF local zoning laws allow for such a use.

I know that in my town, you can't have a retail operation in an Industrial Zone (such as what you describe), with limited exception for an eating place that strictly caters to employees in the industrial park.

For that to work, one would have to check Zoning Bylaws, then contact owner and ascertain if they would rent for a 3-day period (many won't) or allow a "gun show" and have parking for >1000 cars. Assuming that it's all good, then you'd have to contact Carole to put her in touch with the right person. Don't expect anything for your efforts either.

I put Carole on track for the Marlboro location and never even got a free pass (or thank you) to a show. I only get a free pass if I'm working the GOAL table, otherwise I pay the gate just like all the rest of us.

Baseball card and antique shows are held at the Holiday Inn in Mansfield every year- again like you said just a thought.

Good point, perhaps Mansfield allows mixed Business and Industrial use within a zone or they made exceptions for a hotel as ancillary to an industrial park (business travelers need a place to stay as well as eat).

So yes, if HI allowed such an event, it could be run there although the parking would be inadequate if limited strictly to that parcel. I'm familiar with that hotel as we usually eat at the restaurant a few times/year I also serve papers frequently next door at Coviden aka Tyco Healthcare.

Like you Len, I'm all for a large show close to home. As far as the logistics, I don't have the knowledge or time to plan such an event. I hope someone on this site does have the time / knowledge so that this can someday become a reality and a huge success. Another thought, what about the parking lots of Great Woods/ Tweeter/ Comcast Center during the summer when it is warm enough to be held outdoors at a place like this?

Back
Top Bottom