• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun show purchases

Please don't flame me I am not trolling. What is the basis of the anti's "Gunshow Loophole" argument? I've never been to a gun show but I find it hard to believe dealers are there selling guns without background checks. Are there a lot of non-FFLs there selling selling guns basically private party to private party? I'd just like to be able to handle that "Loophole" nonsense with the truth. That billboard in Boston seems to be the Gospel to the antis.TIA

I don't know about gun shows elsewhere, but even in MA if you do *any* face to face transaction, you'd check their ltc, right? Given that the buyer HAS an ltc, that must mean the state did the background check, right?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I find it hard to believe dealers are there selling guns without background checks.

They're not.

...non-FFLs there selling guns basically private party to private party?

Yup, this is the basis for the "gun show loophole" claim.

A FTF transaction that occurs at a gun show, as opposed to somewhere else.

I don't know about gun shows elsewhere, but even in MA if you do *any* face to face transaction, you'd check their ltc, right? Given that the buyer HAS an ltc, that must mean the state did the background check, right?

True in MA, and a handful of other states, but the vast majority do not require any kind of license to buy/sell/possess guns.

In NYS, you can sell a long gun to anyone FTF with no licenses required and no FA-10-like form to the state. In this regard, NYS is a freer state than MA.

Please don't flame me I am not trolling. What is the basis of the anti's "Gunshow Loophole" argument? I've never been to a gun show but I find it hard to believe dealers are there selling guns without background checks. Are there a lot of non-FFLs there selling selling guns basically private party to private party? I'd just like to be able to handle that "Loophole" nonsense with the truth. That billboard in Boston seems to be the Gospel to the antis.TIA

There IS no gunshow loophole. What they're trying to stop is private sales - ie not through an FFL.

In NYS, you can sell a long gun to anyone FTF with no licenses required and no FA-10-like form to the state. In this regard, NYS is a freer state than MA.
This is true in most states, in many states, the same goes with handguns. Its only when you purchase from a dealer at a show he has to run a check, if an individual collector, non ffl, sets up a booth at a show, he can sell to any in state individual, if a purchaser is from out of state, a transfer is required.

Back
Top Bottom