• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun show purchase

tommyc

NES Member
I was at a gun show recently in Florida noticed people purchasing firearms with nothing more than their Florida drivers license. So my question is if this is all that’s needed to purchase what do I do to sell my Massachusetts registered firearms in Florida?

Example:
In NH there is no requirement for any paperwork when buying or selling a firearm as long as both the seller and buyer are NH residents. There would be no federal paperwork requirement either because the firearm didn't cross state lines as part of the deal.

I suspect the FLA in state purchase laws may be similar to NH in this regard. Your scenario where you asked about selling your MA registered firearm in FL would require an FFL transfer out of Mass and therefore would not be subject to the same laws as an in state firearm sale as I described above would be.

Hope that helps!

I was at a gun show recently in Florida noticed people purchasing firearms with nothing more than their Florida drivers license. So my question is if this is all that’s needed to purchase what do I do to sell my Massachusetts registered firearms in Florida?
In America, selling a gun from one resident of a state to another resident of the state is normal and the feds can’t get involved. Where they can get involved is from state to state sales, and this is where FFLs come into play.

If you were to move to Florida, bring your guns with you, once you establish residency, you could also freely sell your firearms to other residents of Florida.

The sales you witnessed in Florida were between "non-licensed" (meaning not holding an FFL) Florida residents. Anytime an FFL sells a firearm (as an FFL, not as an individual) they are required to fill out a 4473, even if at a gun show, even in Florida to a Florida resident

Florida does have a mandatory 3 day waiting period for delivery of a firearm from an FFL.

The waiting period doesn't apply if the buyer-
1) has a concealed carry license or
2) has a hunting license (or a hunter safety course card) and is purchasing a rifle or shotgun or
3) is trading in a firearm or
4) is a leo or correctional officer or military service member.

And it doesn't apply to private sales, just those by FFL's.

The sales you witnessed in Florida were between "non-licensed" (meaning not holding an FFL) Florida residents. Anytime an FFL sells a firearm (as an FFL, not as an individual) they are required to fill out a 4473, even if at a gun show, even in Florida to a Florida resident
My brother when living in TN told me Gun shows were packed with f to f sales.

Example:
In NH there is no requirement for any paperwork when buying or selling a firearm as long as both the seller and buyer are NH residents. There would be no federal paperwork requirement either because the firearm didn't cross state lines as part of the deal.

I suspect the FLA in state purchase laws may be similar to NH in this regard. Your scenario where you asked about selling your MA registered firearm in FL would require an FFL transfer out of Mass and therefore would not be subject to the same laws as an in state firearm sale as I described above would be.

Hope that helps!
Op didn't say ... is he a MA resident or did he move to FL with MA guns?

In America, selling a gun from one resident of a state to another resident of the state is normal and the feds can’t get involved. Where they can get involved is from state to state sales, and this is where FFLs come into play.

If you were to move to Florida, bring your guns with you, once you establish residency, you could also freely sell your firearms to other residents of Florida.
Exactly. Imagine moving back to MA, the State would have no idea you sold those guns.

Eventually someone in FL might put a gun on GB and find its way back to MA. Now the system shows 2 people with the same gun but no sale (if it even shows that).

This is one of the 100 reasons why the MA registration system is a complete cluster f*ck.

At the same time, the OP brought his own FL guns back to MA which don't require registration. So now he owns guns that are legal and the State doesn't know he has them.

This is another of the 100 reasons why the MA registration system is a complete cluster f*ck.

There was a lot of ftf sales at flea markets, but the Feds recently nailed a guy to the cross who was selling at flea markets making the case he needed to be a FFL since they deemed it a business. Once you are out of Massachusetts their laws mean shite in Florida.. Man pleads guilty to dealing firearms without license at North Fort Myers flea market - NBC2 News

I love all the irrelevant information to fill space.
All this is completely irrelevant and not illegal:
Goldman’s home, truck, and trailer were searched where investigators found 29 firearms and around $36,828 in cash.

An investigation showed Goldman had purchased 313 firearms between January 2020 and September 2021.

because the purpose of the system is to tag and track as many people as possible, not to trace a particular gun correctly.
and system does what it was created for.
nobody in law enforcement actually uses that pile of shit for anything. It exists to make democrat and fudd gun owners “feel good. “ that their shit is “registered” or something.

I love all the irrelevant information to fill space.
All this is completely irrelevant and not illegal:
It's not irrelevant if the goal is to make us suspect everything that's at all divergent from accepted norms.

"Nobody needs that many guns. Nobody needs that much cash in hand. Nobody needs to buy so many guns in such a short time."

nobody in law enforcement actually uses that pile of shit for anything. It exists to make democrat and fudd gun owners “feel good. “ that their shit is “registered” or something.
it is a pile of shit, but, but as any pile of shit the government does - it is a ticking bomb that only waits for its proper time to go bang.

to start using it the law only needs to be augmented, and not by very too much.

it is a pile of shit, but, but as any pile of shit the government does - it is a ticking bomb that only waits for its proper time to go bang.

to start using it the law only needs to be augmented, and not by very too much.

My point is its not very useful. It basically only says "so and so probably has guns" but they already knew that when you got an LTC.

Firearms are not registered in Massachusetts, only transactions are.
But don't those transactions have all the pertinent info on them, gun make, sn, etc. Or, is it Joe sold a gun to Harry on this date and thats it?

Maybe I'm wrong but if a cop can run your LTC number and a list of every transaction comes up with all the gun info on it, that sounds like a registry, albeit probably not searchable for a specific SN.

Last edited:
It basically only says "so and so probably has guns" but they already knew that when you got an LTC.
LTC only suggests you a potential criminal, the transactional database proves it - considering the fact of ownership to be the crime.
but not until they will really start tightening the noose there. and, with the current scotus - hopefully it will not happen, ever. unless dems will pack it and revert everything, which is also, not very likely.

Last edited:
But don't those transactions have all the pertinent info on them, gun make, sn, etc. Or, is it Joe sold a gun to Harry on this date and thats it?

Maybe I'm wrong but if a cop can run your LTC number and a list of every transaction comes up with all the gun info on it, that sounds like a registry, albeit probably not searchable for a specific SN.
For example, if you move to MA and bring 100 guns - no guns would show up in the system as no transactions had happened.

There's literally nothing magical about a gun show that makes it ok to ignore state and federal laws. Nothing. Thus the "gun show loophole" is a myth, it doesn't exist - there's nothing different about buying a gun at a show vs anywhere else.

there's nothing different about buying a gun at a show vs anywhere else.
it is what they call a loophole - the whole concept of direct P2P transactions. as think of it - what else of true value are you allowed just to trade directly, as p2p?

cars, houses - all needs to be licensed and taxed afterwards - a big man always wants his cut.

Back
Top Bottom