• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Show promoter playing god

I couldn't agree more. The more I have thought about it, it just doesn't pass the sniff test.

First off, Shooting Supply is a fine place, but it is not the second coming of Christ with respect to crazy low prices. It is a fine competitive shop with a lot going for it. I'd even call it the "Four Seasons of the South Coast." I have bought there. And it's great for reloading supplies. But I have also beat their prices elsewhere without a whole lot of effort. Frankly, their prices on used guns are only really attractive when they run their occasional 10% off sales and on new guns when they run a flyer sale.

Second, I believe the big attraction to Shooting Supply's tables at the Marlboro show was all about them being a brand new vendor at the show that also put in a big effort to let people know in advance that they were bringing as much of their used stock as possible to the show. Being so far away from most of us, that was a big deal since they usually have a pretty decent selection of interesting used guns. Other show vendors should probably do the same, but they don't.

But at the end of the day, they are just another (albeit very decent) show vendor. Was there an objection to Pete's when Pete's did the shows in a big way and 'stole' business from other vendors? Was there an objection when Avid came in with a big presence? When Undercover Arms (now R.I.P.) started doing the shows did other vendors squawk? I could go on, but you get the idea.

It seems to me that it is in the interest of the promoter to have as many real gun dealers there as possible. I know who complained and got Martinello thrown out of the shows (for his Glocks)... but I can't see that vendor complaining about Shooting Supply. I think I know who might have complained or at least had reason to complain... but if so, I'm thinking the complaint (if real) was not about prices. Just a hunch. [thinking]

I don’t know. I’m trying to be skeptical, but if you know some of the vendors you know what whiney bitches they are and it all becomes very believable.

Now, if one or more vendors get together and tell the promoter they are going to pull out of the show if Shooting Supply is there; the promoter has to make a cost/benefit decision and weigh the loss of the revenue and foot traffic from several vendors, against the loss of revenue and foot traffic of one vendor. That’s a business decision, and a crappy decision to have to be forced to make too.

There's also the correct response which is simply "You want us to ban them from the show based on pricing you out? That's likely very illegal, and if someone finds out about it, we could get shut down or fined a lot of money. "

-Mike

I don’t know. I’m trying to be skeptical, but if you know some of the vendors you know what whiney bitches they are and it all becomes very believable.
Oh, I hear you. The Martinello fiasco proves that anything is possible. The OP says he has seen a letter sent to the owner of Shooting Supply and I have no reason to disbelieve him. I am only questioning the 'why' part. There has got to be more to this than just Shooting Supply's supposedly too low for shows pricing. [thinking]

Last edited:
There's also the correct response which is simply "You want us to ban them from the show based on pricing you out? That's likely very illegal, and if someone finds out about it, we could get shut down or fined a lot of money. "
I would find it very odd if that letter actually says that the reason Shooting Supply will not be allowed to do any future shows is because their prices are too low. [thinking]

Last edited:
TOMBSTONE!

Only took me a day to remember the other big vendor. Was Tombstone even at Marlboro in January????

I know I get all excited about the guy that brings 5,000 books, all hermetically sealed. I think, "Man. I should have an exercise plan as good as his. Lots of resistance work. Lots of short-duration cardio."

I also miss the old guy from CT with about 200 non-MA-compliant guns with a nice neatly printed description and price for every one of them. WTF??? That guy was going to Marlboro for YEARS. I never understood it. He'd just sit there. Never saw anyone LOOK at his guns at all, let alone do some sort of 3-way sale with a MA dealer.

I also miss the old guy from CT with about 200 non-MA-compliant guns with a nice neatly printed description and price for every one of them. WTF??? That guy was going to Marlboro for YEARS. I never understood it. He'd just sit there. Never saw anyone LOOK at his guns at all, let alone do some sort of 3-way sale with a MA dealer.

I think I saw him at the Wilmington show a decade ago. Guns in wooden glass topped cases, right?

Yes. Strange but neat handwriting. Like he wrote the cards with a ruler as his bottom-line on EVERY line. I could fill out and call in a 4473 faster than he could do one of those cards. In Marlboro he was on the wall next to the bathroom every time. Had some nice new stuff. Grossly overpriced. Not MA compliant. ??????

They had a big setup with fair prices, so didn't Tombstone Trading, there was not any giveaway or steal of a deal prices to warrant not being asked back.
Id like to see the actual letter, posted here on this thread
If you want to see the actual letter, Mark attached it to his weekly sale email with a short summary of what went down. He also attached a photo of the refund check from Newmart productions. I unfortunately am not computer savvy enough to attach the email here. Hopefully somebody who also receives his weekly emails can find a way to add it for all to see.

Lol... how much you want to bet that place easily has 10+ tables unsold? Unless the promoters gave them away to keep up the ruse...

It was. The Shooting Supply booth was incredibly busy, so much so that I thought their attendance would force other vendors to be more competitive and shows would be better going forward.

I guess that’ll learn me.

I’m done with those shitshows. f*** that guy.

You mean lady. Her name is Carole.

I took my nephew to the show, since he's new at the gun thing. The only thing worth buying was the beef jerky and that was $ 40.00 a pound.

Last edited:
Lol... how much you want to bet that place easily has 10+ tables unsold? Unless the promoters gave them away to keep up the ruse...
I was at the Plymouth show. They could have easily handled another 50 tables. It is very clear that shooting supply was not welcome there.

It's all about greed and Carol is the biggest player in the whole thing , f her and all the scum cry baby vendors
Simple solution to this. A good ol' fashion BOYCOTT! They have the Marlboro show this weekend. Don't go. I can name about a dozen great local shops within 30 minutes of that show (excluding Gun Parlor of course). Support them. Tell your friends. Make a day out of it. Visit 2 or 3. I know it has been said here before, but by all means, avoid the gun show like the plague.

Simple solution to this. A good ol' fashion BOYCOTT! They have the Marlboro show this weekend. Don't go. I can name about a dozen great local shops within 30 minutes of that show (excluding Gun Parlor of course). Support them. Tell your friends. Make a day out of it. Visit 2 or 3. I know it has been said here before, but by all means, avoid the gun show like the plague.

Other than two of the local gun club shows, Monument Beach and Holbrook, my wife and I just don't bother with these shows anymore. The shows are killing themselves and this just adds one more reason not to go.

Gun shows in Mass aren't worth going to imo. They can't hold a candle to shows in free states.

Besides, if I want something from shooting supply, it's worth it to me to drive down there.

No need to boycott at this point they're basically boycotting themselves out of existence....

I heard that quite a few people skipped the show today and in support of Shooting Supply and the free enterprise system, went to Shooting Supply instead.

I would have stopped in at Westport myself yesterday, but I had a long work day unfortunately. Or, maybe it was fortunate! One of my jobs yesterday was at that liberal bastion, Harvard University. I find it especially heartwarming to turn liberal sourced funds into guns. Does that make me a bad person??

When I travel that way I will give him my business. I have seen Shooting Supply's prices and travel a lot, it is just a matter of time and timing.

So instead of competing eliminate the competition. I just found the Gun Show Loop Hole and I will never get caught in it.

I think Shooting Supply has great prices and as a customer buying a firearm from there they seem like nice people.

But the same reason why Shooting Supply says that the other dealers at the gun show don't want SS at the show is because of competition is the same reason why Shooting Supply has a issue or problem with me fair of competition.

Last edited:
I think Shooting Supply has great prices and as a customer buying a fire arm they seems like nice people.

But the same reason why Shooting Supply says that the other dealers at the gun show don't want him at the show is because of competition is the same reason why I or I should say Shooting Supply has a problem with me.

I have just one question and if any one can answer it I will then get more in to details and if no one can answer the question then drop it and no big deal.

Shooting Supply is in Westport where does the owner of the shops wife work and I don't want address or office specifics I am just looking for hay she works at this building and I am definitely not saying anything bag about her at all it is just relevant to my story.
Don't see the relevance of where his wife works has anything to do with this thread, a question like that should be poised to him in person not on a public forum.

Just more reasons not to go to gun shows. Now, I don't expect that the deals were better than internet prices, but in comparison to others selling ammo with a 50% markup and guns double what you can get them on gunbroker, yeah, I can see those prices being easy to beat and far lower.

That's just simple economics and the issue with gun shows it most of the old farts who are doing gun shows still think it's the 1980s and the internet doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom