Gun-Show Customers’ License Plates Scanned

screw you, WSJ website.

stuck in an infinite loop of "register or sign in". I let it use my FB creds, and then it brings me to the WSJ homepage. scroll down to the same article, click it, and am prompted to register or sign in again.

Do what I do....I routinely borrow my liberal neighbors pickup for trips to the "recycling center"...when the ninjas show up at his house I'll have some laughs and time.

2010... Just sayin, this has been happening for AGES. Cell phone, email, license plate... You would have to live north of 65th parallel with no human contact not to be on some list somewhere.

OMG! Next thing you'll tell me is there's cameras watching me when I'm pretty much out anywhere in public [shocked]

The cops scan license plates in parking lots pretty much everywhere, its not just gun shows.

OMG! Next thing you'll tell me is there's cameras watching me when I'm pretty much out anywhere in public [shocked]

The cops scan license plates in parking lots pretty much everywhere, its not just gun shows.

Your response is an example of the desensitization to the police state that the federal government is hoping for.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3476146/posts

[SIZE=+1]Gun-Show Customers’ License Plates Come Under Scrutiny[/SIZE]
The Wall Street Journal ^ | Oct 2, 2016 | Devlin Barrett
[FONT=&quot]Posted on 10/3/2016, 9:01:25 AM by KeyLargo[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gun-Show Customers’ License Plates Come Under Scrutiny Federal agents enlisted local police to scan cars’ plates at shows’ parking lots[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By Devlin Barrett Oct. 2, 2016 7:35 p.m. ET[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Federal agents have persuaded police officers to scan license plates to gather information about gun-show customers, government emails show, raising questions about how officials monitor constitutionally protected activity.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal show agents with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency crafted a plan in 2010 to use license-plate readers—devices that record the plate numbers of all passing cars—at gun shows in Southern California, including one in Del Mar, not far from the Mexican border.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Agents then compared that information to cars that crossed the border, hoping to find gun smugglers, according to the documents and interviews with law-enforcement officials with knowledge of the operation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The investigative tactic concerns privacy and guns-rights advocates, who call it an invasion of privacy. The law-enforcement officials say it is an important and legal tool for pursuing dangerous, hard-to-track illegal activity.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is no indication the gun-show surveillance led to any arrests or investigative leads, but the officials didn’t rule out that such surveillance may have happened elsewhere. The agency has no written policy on its use of license-plate readers and could engage in similar surveillance in the future, they said.[/FONT]

Your response is an example of the desensitization to the police state that the federal government is hoping for.

Or he is acknowledging reality rather than expressing faux outrage at something that happened six years ago in socal.

Seriously people, there is more surveillance in a supermarket parking lot than at a gun show.

Just trust the .gov. I'm sure they have a great reason for so desperately wanting a list of anyone who might possibly have attended a gun show. Like worrying about crime in Mexico. [laugh]

I do not know if this is a true story or a fake one. But IF it were true, I HOPE the cops that did it realized how everyone at the gun show NO LONGER HAS THEIR BACK. IF the cops become part of the gestapo trying to get our guns, we would rather side with the BLM protestors against them.

Or he is acknowledging reality rather than expressing faux outrage at something that happened six years ago in socal.

Seriously people, there is more surveillance in a supermarket parking lot than at a gun show.

Just because it exists doesn't mean you have to like it. Your last sentence is another example of passive acceptance. The difference is the supermarket is private property, so it's interesting that private use helps desensitize citizens to public use. I guarantee there's government employees thinking they have a lot of catching up to do.

The reality is that we're living in a Police State. And before you go thinking I'm holier than thou, I readily admit there's not much I can do about it either. Except I choose to live where they don't have cameras on every street corner.

Refusal to accept as norm (and awareness at the very least) isn't faux and it isn't outrage.

Last edited:
I do not know if this is a true story or a fake one. But IF it were true, I HOPE the cops that did it realized how everyone at the gun show NO LONGER HAS THEIR BACK. IF the cops become part of the gestapo trying to get our guns, we would rather side with the BLM protestors against them.

It is true. It's been a topic of discussion on Calguns for several years.

Assuming the parking lot is private property, is it legal to obscure your plates after you have parked? That would make them have to get out of the car and uncover every plate they wanted to scan - they couldn't just drive through the parking lot. Maybe the show sponsors could hand out paper shields to put on plates.

This is true, but the difference is that under our Constitution, we don't stand for the police scanning plates in the parking lots of our houses of worship, or in parking lots used by people who work for the Press. We don't stand for the police scanning plates in parking lots of polling locations during elections. We also don't stand for the police scanning cars parked in the lots of criminal defense attorneys' offices, or jurors parking lots at our court houses. And when activities like this do occur - heads roll, letters of apology are written, officials resign.

We don't stand for it because, like purchasing guns at a gun show, these are all constitutionally protected civil rights. They are not merely legal day-to-day activities of citizens like parking in the parking lot at the local shopping mall.

Last edited:

^This

- - - Updated - - -

This is true, but the difference is that under our Constitution, we don't stand for the police scanning plates in the parking lots of our houses of worship, or in parking lots used by people who work for the Press. We don't stand for the police scanning plates in parking lots of polling locations during elections. We also don't stand for the police scanning cars parked in the lots of criminal defense attorneys' offices, or jurors parking lots at our court houses. And when activities like this do occur - heads roll, letters of apology are written, officials resign.

We don't stand for it because, like purchasing guns at a gun show, are all constitutionally protected civil rights. They are not merely legal day-to-day activities of citizens like parking in the parking lot at the local shopping mall.

You're in public and courts have ruled you have no reasonable expectation to privacy when you're in public. Deal with it.

"Seriously people, there is more surveillance in a supermarket parking lot than at a gun show"

What they want to keep tabs on people who buy food?

Dean

We don't stand for it because, like purchasing guns at a gun show, these are all constitutionally protected civil rights. They are not merely legal day-to-day activities of citizens like parking in the parking lot at the local shopping mall.

Well said.

When's the last time a PD got clocked for indiscriminately scanning plates somewhere? Unless a state law prohibits it (like in NH, which explicitly only allows ALPR for toll collectiction), any public area is vulnerable to this activity.

What part of the constitution stops the .gov from unlimited surveillance of public activity? The only thing that has ever stopped or limited it was pressure from the public, which largely doesn't care- because most people saunter around saying stupid shit like "why should I care, I have nothing to hide." .

The problem with modern technology it has introduced new privacy issues. If this was cops writing down license plate numbers with a pen and paper nobody would give a shit because everyone knows that kind of thing is woefully inefficient. What was a gargantuan surveillance task 20 years ago now involves a handful of man hours of programming that can be re-used.

In a perfect world LE should have PC/RS in a specific incident kind of way to even justify running a plate. "Oh that guys tailight is out I can run the plate nao" type of thing. Problem is that is not the
reality and "cuz terrorism and cuz its for the children" dipshits in the public seem to have no issue with full blown surveillance states.

-Mike

"Seriously people, there is more surveillance in a supermarket parking lot than at a gun show"

What they want to keep tabs on people who buy food?

Dean

It does not appear that "they" have or need to have much of a reason to keep tabs on people. Trying to make sense of a police state will just end in frustration. Just wait until self driving cars dominate the roads. A logical extension is a command .gov can send to the car to arrest you and it immediately locks the doors and delivers you to the nearest police station.

Seriously though, why would the .gov feel so strongly about this if it wasn't to round out their database of who might own guns in this country? Nobody's buying the bullshit about caring that guns are getting smuggled into Mexico. And why might they want such a database?

Back
Top Bottom