• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun shops non essential?

Looks like gun shops will be closing starting tomorrow due to goveners executive orders. How many do you think will follow suit, and how are gun shops considered non essential?

The bigs will close to open retail, but with smaller dealers if you've built a relationship with an owner and you REALLY needed something, I would hazard a guess that some would still do business by appointment, regardless of the stupid edict. Nobody is going to be doing window shopping/tire kicking bullshit, but if you're the type to not f*** around, you can probably still get
services.

-Mike

Don't think so, but even if it isn't you're limited to 3 transfers, so it's not like we can totally cut out the gun stores. My hope is the ffls who don't have store fronts will still do transfers from home, that is so long nics and the portal remains up.

It's 4 per calendar year, not 3.

-Mike

I just got a call from an FFL I use for transfers -- no storefront, just performs transfers. He was letting me know that the Sig P320 X-Compact RXP I ordered about 10 days ago just arrived in his hands. I need to pick it up before noon tomorrow as he is shutting down at noon until further notice.

My issue with the fact that Firearms are not listed as essential really boil down to what they do consider essential.

1) they consider Liquor stores essential. Ok, straight up liquor stores provide no essential products.

I do see this as an infringement on my rights. They are limiting my access. How long can they shutdown that right before some of you feel its now an infringement? How about the next "emergency", how big of an emergency does it need to be for the state to remove our access.
Closing gun shops is just another round about way of political gun control. We all know the true good guys and girls are the only ones that will be able to legally purchase anything is Assachusetts. So the liberals reasoning for shutting them down is assinine
I agree with you but if liquor stores shut down, there will be a massive run on hospitals for those going through the DT's or stroking out, further exacerbating the problem. Just go to any ED after all have received their government bonus checks, or the ICU, Telemetry, or Med/Surg floors. Every month there are regulars or irregulars that do this, and it's not just those on the dole. It seems to peak a few days after the first of every month for some reason. Now you want to take it away from the functioning or closet drunks? If you need further proof of what happens every day, just sit outside your local packy just before the opening bell goes off. Watch them get out of their cars shaking uncontrollably at 9 AM or earlier and sneak a gulp or two in the parking lot to make themselves feel better.

I tend to think given they push background checks so hard, and require them for most transfers, .gov should be required to allow them to operate.

But upon seeing what was going on, watching from NH, I decided to #1 cancel an order that was taking forever to ship and potentially would have arrived in limbo land, #2 I got my ass down to the FFL to begin the process of picking up the Glock and lowers that arrived Friday.. it took 20 hours for a response but Saturday afternoon I got my stuff before the FFL was closed Sunday & Monday..

Now I may have cut it a little close, see what happens in NH in the next week, but damn if you really wanted something waiting this long is definitely in the ballpark of procrastination (myself I was just waiting for $$ to hit my account to break my stuff out of layaway, which I did asap).

In an ironic twist, Gov Ned Lamont, here in the great state of Connecticut says that Gun Shops are Essential and can remain open to service the needs of Connecticut citienry. The Newtown Coalition, however, wants them shut down. Even the NRA complimented Lamont on this specific edict. Go figure. No, I don't think he's having second thoughts but he may be trying to throw a bone our way instead of looking at lawsuits like NJ Gov is looking at.

How would this meet the requirement that FFLs conduct transfers only at their place of business or gun shows?
I was at Gun & Sport North in Salem NH the other night browsing the holsters. heard the owner tell a MASS LTC holder, that they "drive down to a parking lot just over the line and hand them the gun"

Not sure if any of our friendly FFLs in the mill are staying open or not... but if you are, can you PM me? I have something I'm looking to transfer in

yeah actually it is, I've done it many times, obviously not a private sale but from a dealer
When did it change, because that's 100% exactly how it's worked for me on 3 or 4 long guns I've purchased since I've moved to massachusetts.

Maybe I am mistaken. I just know that I tried to buy a long gun from NH and was told (basically talked down to) that it needs to go to a MA FFL. You guys are saying you can buy a long gun from another state's FFL and bring it to MA without an MA FFL transfer? That would be news to me...good news.

Maybe I am mistaken. I just know that I tried to buy a long gun from NH and was told (basically talked down to) that it needs to go to a MA FFL. You guys are saying you can buy a long gun from another state's FFL and bring it to MA without an MA FFL transfer? That would be news to me...good news.
No, you'll need NH ffl to transfer to your MA ffl.

Yes, because that's how the Federal law works. I've purchased long guns in NH, Missouri, and Oklahoma since moving here. Some NH shops are 100% retarded, looks like you found one of them.

Only for a handgun.
Tried to do a quick search, looks like long guns may be an exception, but both states have to be in agreement to a none resident buying and taking possession of said long gun in a none resident state, and then being able to enter home state with it legally. My research was fast and probably insufficient so look up the fed and state laws. Please let me know if you find anything more concrete.

Tried to do a quick search, looks like long guns may be an exception, but both states have to be in agreement to a none resident buying and taking possession of said long gun in a none resident state, and then being able to enter home state with it legally. My research was fast and probably insufficient so look up the fed and state laws. Please let me know if you find anything more concrete.
Stop offering legal advice on here. This is the second time in two days you've demonstrated you don't know what you're talking about.

The feds allow for the transfer of rifles and shotguns across state lines by FFLs. The firearm must be legal in the state of residence of the buyer. Some states may not allow non-residents to make purchases in their state, but that will be a local problem not federal.

Further, an FFL may refuse service to anyone for any or no reason at all. Many FFLs refuse to work with out of state buyers (especially from MA) because it's easier than figuring out if they're selling something illegal in the buyer's state of residence. That's policy, not law.

If the long gun is legal to own in your home state, then go ahead and buy it in a different state. Of course, various FFLs may or may not be willing.

I can answer this from a ffl's perspective. From what I've read unless you are supplying defense related articles you aren't considered essential since the states have been quoting the CISA critical infrastructure sectors. (Critical Infrastructure Sectors | CISA) and firearms would fall under the defense industrial base but only for the DoD. So if I am a FFL in ma that is also supplying product to the DoD I get to stay open. Now you could argue that because we need to do a 4473 to buy a gun the government is restricting access to your constitutional rights but that is going to be a fight for the lobbyists at the NSSF and others to deal with when this all blows over. As always, do what is best for you as no one is coming to save you.

Stop offering legal advice on here. This is the second time in two days you've demonstrated you don't know what you're talking about.

The feds allow for the transfer of rifles and shotguns across state lines by FFLs. The firearm must be legal in the state of residence of the buyer. Some states may not allow non-residents to make purchases in their state, but that will be a local problem not federal.

Further, an FFL may refuse service to anyone for any or no reason at all. Many FFLs refuse to work with out of state buyers (especially from MA) because it's easier than figuring out if they're selling something illegal in the buyer's state of residence. That's policy, not law.
And what exactly are you doing at the exact moment?

You pretty much said what I said, did you even bother to read my comment.
No, I didn't "pretty much" say what you said. Yes, I did read what you wrote. The differences between our posts matter. It has absolutely nothing to do with the states being in "agreement." Rifles and shotguns are an incomplete subset of "long guns." Must I continue?

Further, adding wiggle-words like "My research was fast and probably insufficient so look up the fed and state laws" doesn't excuse the fact that your answer is incorrect, nor that your earlier post was even more incorrect. If you're not confident that you actually understand a topic, shut up and let the grownups talk.

If you are confident - and turn out to be wrong - reconsider your assumptions about your proficiency; then lurk more and post less.

Has any shop actually shut down because of this order? FS closed on their own volition last week. What about other shops?

No, I didn't "pretty much" say what you said. Yes, I did read what you wrote. The differences between our posts matter. It has absolutely nothing to do with the states being in "agreement." Rifles and shotguns are an incomplete subset of "long guns." Must I continue?

Further, adding wiggle-words like "My research was fast and probably insufficient so look up the fed and state laws" doesn't excuse the fact that your answer is incorrect, nor that your earlier post was even more incorrect. If you're not confident that you actually understand a topic, shut up and let the grownups talk.

If you are confident - and turn out to be wrong - reconsider your assumptions about your proficiency; then lurk more and post less.
The issue here is whether a person in NH can purchase a long gun and walk it into MA. Your response: "The feds allow for the transfer of rifles and shotguns across state lines by FFL." In which I am in agreement, and what I initially said. What's up with the name calling, how have I accosted you?

Thats not how the law works. Please stop with the bad info. You may mean well but it is not helpful. The only caveat is that the long gun is legal for you to own in your home state.

Back
Top Bottom