Gun shop with fair trade-ins?

I'm looking to trade in my full size 9mm M&P for a 9mm Shield.
I went to a few places today and they offered me $200 and $260 for my M&P. Am I crazy or, is that unreasonable?

The M&P is about 4 years old, but it's been well maintained and there have only been a few hundred rounds through it. Also, I had the trigger pull reduced.
They seem to sell for $450 - $500 used. I know the shops have to make a buck but could this firearm really have depreciated that much?

Can anyone suggest a shop on the Eastern side of MA, that is more reasonable?

Thanks.

A shop will never give you as much as you could sell it for in a private sale. It's sort of like trading in a car - the dealer gives you less money, but it's easier than trying to find a buyer on your own.

As slugworth suggested, sell your full size M&P in the classifieds, then use the cast to buy a Shield. Or, post a trade thread, and say you want to trade the FS for a Shield and see if there are any takers.

I would be surprised if the ones in the classifieds on here sell for much more than $400. I see used ones popping up at Four Seasons for about that much.

I went to a few places today and they offered me $200 and $260 for my M&P. Am I crazy or, is that unreasonable?

The M&P is about 4 years old, but it's been well maintained and there have only been a few hundred rounds through it. Also, I had the trigger pull reduced.
They seem to sell for $450 - $500 used. I know the shops have to make a buck but could this firearm really have depreciated that much?

Thanks.

I've worked in multiple shops and that sounds about right on the buying price. Most shops will give you a bit more in trade as they are making money on the back end to. Keep in mind, they are buying it on the spot. No waiting around. Then they are going to list it in their shop. The gun may sell that weekend.... or it may hang around for months. I've seen some guns hang around for years. If someone buys the gun and something is wrong with it, it's up to the shop to fix it. They are taking the risk and paying you right now. Pretty much the same as if you sell something at a pawn shop. If you don't need to sell ASAP then I agree, sell it on your own and keep some extra change in your pocket.

FWIW, most shops will consign your guns for around 20% or so of the selling price.

The problem with selling a used gun to a gun shop is that people tend to think their gun is worth more then the current used market value.

All that "work" you put into it... well unfortunate it doesn't do much to make it worth more.

A "tricked out" Hi-point is still a Hi-Point.

Best thing to do to find out what the current market value of you gun is, is to look at Gunbroker and go to the advance tab to see what the guns like yours have actually been bid on and been sold.

That is what todays market will pay for your gun.

So either take the gun shop price or go forum or Gunbroker.

Everyone wants to sell high and buy low.... Economics 101

PS... The Gunbroker range for your gun is $300-$350.

So the gun shop buying yours for $260 may only make a $40 profit... that is if the buyer doesn't try to ask for a lower price!

Last edited:
Is the M&P as in demand as it was a few years ago. Almost every shop I have ever traded in with has given me condition 70% or less of value. didnt matter what condition. only pistol I ever did well on a trade in was a S&W performance center, paid 1350 got 1250$ at kitter twards a browning Ultra trap gun

Remember that the LGS is a small business that needs to make a profit.

Rent, insurance, heat, taxes, electricity, and labor all have to be paid before the owner makes a dime.

In my experience a shop will offer you around half of what your gun is worth.

That's about right. I would use a few factors to determine a purchase value such as;

1. Condition

2. It's rarity and current market value. If you have a rare gun that is in demand, I could go 60% because it is easy to move and I know we'll make good money. If you are trying to sell a common gun or one not in demand that may sit around for a while, I may have offered as low as 40% of what I feel we'll sell it for. Last place I worked we wouldn't take any Para's because we had many bad experiences with them being defective and they seemed like they would sit on the shelf longer than some other guns. If the seller was hell bent on us buying it, they usually got a lowball number. This is common in all sorts of practices.

3. How often do you do business with us. If you are a customer that was in on a regular basis buying guns, we would try to give you "friend" prices.

4. Your attitude. If you come in with a chip on your shoulder, you just lost money. Every once in a while you get that guy that walks in and says, "Here's what I have and I want $xxx (a number that was close to retail). Usually we would come up with a witty reply like, "That's great, I want my dick to be 10" but that's not happening."

5. Your story. If we knew you any you had a believable story, we would try to help you out a bit more. (Laid off, sick kids, funeral expenses, etc)

FSGuns seems to set the market for used guns in and around Boston. According to their online inventory list, a used M&P9 with factory box and 2 magazines is $400 (asking price). Subtract the 18% consignment fee and you would get $328 for it. The problem is there is a new shop near Boston that is supposedly selling brand new ones for something well under $400 temporarily, so it might take a while for that sale to end and folks to go back to considering used.

As far as a trade goes, keep in mind that a store selling its Shields for more money will give you more money toward it for your trade... but, of course, it's the price difference that really matters.

As others have said, sell it in the classifieds. That makes the most sense.

If priced right it will sell in the classifieds here quickly and you will get more than the gun shop is offering. If you are just looking to move it and not get raped, put it in the classifieds for 350. I think it will move in a hurry

That's about right. I would use a few factors to determine a purchase value such as;

1. Condition

2. It's rarity and current market value. If you have a rare gun that is in demand, I could go 60% because it is easy to move and I know we'll make good money. If you are trying to sell a common gun or one not in demand that may sit around for a while, I may have offered as low as 40% of what I feel we'll sell it for. Last place I worked we wouldn't take any Para's because we had many bad experiences with them being defective and they seemed like they would sit on the shelf longer than some other guns. If the seller was hell bent on us buying it, they usually got a lowball number. This is common in all sorts of practices.

3. How often do you do business with us. If you are a customer that was in on a regular basis buying guns, we would try to give you "friend" prices.

4. Your attitude. If you come in with a chip on your shoulder, you just lost money. Every once in a while you get that guy that walks in and says, "Here's what I have and I want $xxx (a number that was close to retail). Usually we would come up with a witty reply like, "That's great, I want my dick to be 10" but that's not happening."

5. Your story. If we knew you any you had a believable story, we would try to help you out a bit more. (Laid off, sick kids, funeral expenses, etc)

I have seen #4 in action, it's hillarious to watch people get all pissed and insulted because a shop won't give them what they are asking. IMO you only sell a gun to a shop when your hard up for cash or you want to trade it towards a nicer piece which then, you might get a little more for it.

Consignment is a good way to go for both parties, I have picked up some great guns at excelllent prices from consignment sales, best so far was a mint 80s vintage model 27 with original wood box for like $550.00

Last edited:
Think of trading it in as a pawn shop, the offer will start with 50% of what they think they can re-sell it for, what about consignment or better yet, NES classified?

Thanks.

From what I've seen they pretty much all offer you about 50% of retail, give or take. You can usually do a lot better if you consign it, better still in a private sale.

FSGuns seems to set the market for used guns in and around Boston. According to their online inventory list, a used M&P9 with factory box and 2 magazines is $400 (asking price). Subtract the 18% consignment fee and you would get $328 for it. The problem is there is a new shop near Boston that is supposedly selling brand new ones for something well under $400 temporarily, so it might take a while for that sale to end and folks to go back to considering used.

As far as a trade goes, keep in mind that a store selling its Shields for more money will give you more money toward it for your trade... but, of course, it's the price difference that really matters.

As others have said, sell it in the classifieds. That makes the most sense.

Not to mention FS runs the range pack special every few weeks or so.
Only issue with consignment is your gun might sit for a long time at the price you want to get.

As a starting point, look at the price of consigment guns in shops, and subtract 20% to get the cost the shop pays for those guns when they sell. Now, subtract at least 20% more to arrive at a price they will pay to inventory shop owned used guns, since the laws of economics dictate they will need a bigger margin than consignment where there is no use of capital or risk the gun will take a long time to sell, or won't sell.

I would be surprised if the ones in the classifieds on here sell for much more than $400. I see used ones popping up at Four Seasons for about that much.
Pretty much, I bought a 9c used there last year with 4 mags, all with extentions, for 395 plus tax. Gun was as new.

The problem with selling a used gun to a gun shop is that people tend to think their gun is worth more then the current used market value.

All that "work" you put into it... well unfortunate it doesn't do much to make it worth more.

A "tricked out" Hi-point is still a Hi-Point.

Remember this. What YOU did to your gun isn't necessarily what someone else will want to do. So yeah, you may have done a lot to your gun... and then the seller (be it your or the LGS who buys it) needs to find the guy who wants that combination of stuff... so an SKS with a Tapco stock isn't necessarily worth SKS price + Tapco stock price. Groups on FB are funny to monitor for examples of this.

Remember this. What YOU did to your gun isn't necessarily what someone else will want to do. So yeah, you may have done a lot to your gun... and then the seller (be it your or the LGS who buys it) needs to find the guy who wants that combination of stuff... so an SKS with a Tapco stock isn't necessarily worth SKS price + Tapco stock price. Groups on FB are funny to monitor for examples of this.

I always chuckle at the listings with the itemized breakdown of the cost of each and every accessory and modification, as if it somehow justifies the ridiculous asking price.

I spent $1300 on the gun + accessories, so $1100 is a great deal!

Back
Top Bottom