Gun shop planning to open near Dedham playground, community outraged

New zoning could apply retroactively to Dedham gun shop

By Johanna Seltz Globe Correspondent,January 21, 2020, 3:04 p.m.

The future of a gun shop that opened in mid-November in East Dedham is up in the air, according to local officials.
J & J Arms, a gun and ammunition shop, generated intense opposition over its location in a neighborhood business district close to a park and schools. Shortly after the store opened, Town Meeting voted on Nov. 25 to impose new zoning rules that would prohibit gun shops from locating anywhere in town except for a small area designated as an “adult use overlay district.”
Local officials say the rule would apply retroactively to J & J Arms, since Dedham posted the proposed zoning change in August — before the gun shop received approval to open.
“It was discussed at Town Meeting and clarified by town counsel that [the rule] would be retroactive, because under Massachusetts zoning law, once notice is given of a zoning amendment, the rule applies,” said Town Manager Leon Goodwin.
However, Goodwin said local officials have not decided whether to enforce the rule retroactively and likely get into a long legal fight.
“We are going to do what is right for the community, and that will involve weighing the costs,” Goodwin said.

The future of a gun shop that opened in mid-November in East Dedham is up in the air, according to local officials.
... Town Meeting voted on Nov. 25 to impose new zoning rules that would prohibit gun shops from locating anywhere in town except for a small area designated as an “adult use overlay district.”
However, Goodwin said local officials have not decided whether to enforce the rule retroactively and likely get into a long legal fight.
“We are going to do what is right for the community, and that will involve weighing the costs,” Goodwin said.
So, where do teenagers go to get guns, if it is "adult use only"? Last I knew, teenagers are allowed to, and actually enjoy and are good at, hunting and target shooting.

Last edited:
Dude, WTF ...

I have been to the place a couple of times. They are nice people. It is right next to a fire department and a CVS. I am surprised no one is saying that people will buy guns, rob a pharmacy and steal a firetruck.

However, Goodwin said local officials have not decided whether to enforce the rule retroactively and likely get into a long legal fight. “We are going to do what is right for the community, and that will involve weighing the costs,” Goodwin said.
Sounds like the town fathers suspect this isn't such a winning plan for them after all. [thinking]

Geez, am I the only one who thinks that having a gun shop in the neighborhood is a good thing? [thumbsup]

Purchased a gun from them. Seem like good guys. You have to be buzzed into the place. Nothing around but Chinese and a Dunkys. The popo at dunkys should protect things.
Just more stupidity from the town. No one seems to complain about the gun shop near Legacy Place.

Purchased a gun from them. Seem like good guys. You have to be buzzed into the place. Nothing around but Chinese and a Dunkys. The popo at dunkys should protect things.
Just more stupidity from the town. No one seems to complain about the gun shop near Legacy Place.
AAA Police Supply is a cop-shop, anyone else that goes in there isn't going to find anything of real interest (no fuzzy cuffs). Also, they still maintain an FFL but they do NOT sell any guns there anymore and haven't in many years . . . that info direct from the current owner. Most PDs buy direct from mfr or LE distributor these days, so AAA wasn't getting that business anymore.

I stopped by to ask about transfers. They charge $35. The owner sent me a copy of his FFL in case I wanted anything shipped there.

I previously posted about them sometimes not being open when the hours said they were open. I deleted that post because the owner was running late.

I was checking out their FB, looks like they also offer safety classes.

I will stop by this week and see if they have a gunsmith they work with.

The owner and the guy that works with him seem to be great, very easy to deal with and joke around. They are very helpful, no BS.

I think this shop has a lot of potential if Dedham doesnt shut them down.

I have stated this before,and will say it again.The people of East Dedham should worry more about the high rate of deaths
do to cancer,and drugs than a gun store in that area.

Back
Top Bottom