Gun shop owners' help sought to stop suicides

CONCORD, N.H. - A group is trying to reduce the suicide rate in New Hampshire by working with gun shop owners after three people killed themselves within a week just hours after purchasing guns.

That week - more than a year ago - prompted Elizabeth Fenner-Lukaitis of the state's Bureau of Behavioral Health to call members of the New Hampshire Suicide Prevention Council, which determined that in 10 percent of the state's suicides that involve guns, the gun was purchased within a week of the death.

The council created a committee to explore ways to get gun retailers involved in suicide prevention.

READ MORE

So will they be contacting car dealers for the percentage of people who asphyxiated themselves with exhaust? Or the people at Home Depot who sell rope?

I really dont see how a firearm store can prevent a suicide. Unless the customer is throwing some obvious "there's somethign wrong with this guy" flags, it will be impossible to make any determination at the time of purchase.

Japan is a prime example of how gun control has no affect on suicide rates. Leave the gun stores alone.

More political correctness at our doorstep. What this idea is leading to is that the mental health people will want all perspective gun buyers to have a doc's certificate of saneness before being able to purchase. Thing is, we're all crazy, just some more than others.

And pharmacists will need to make sure you're not going to swallow that bottle of pills when you get home?? slippery slope...

Last edited:
If I owned a gun store and was contacted by a bunch of social services busybodies about this my response would not be kind.

I know there are towns in MA that require a letter from your doctor. Imagine the lawsuit that would ensue after such an event? Has it even happened in MA?? Is this CYA BS?

just food for thought and it's a little off topic. but if you have a son or daughter who was suicidal and decided they wanted to kill themselves, would you just turn to them and say "it's your life, do with it as you wish"...

Of course not, because I would love them and want to help them. It is however their life, their choice. I would also not infringe on anyone elses rights if they did commit suicide. "Keep your laws off my body" seems to work well for liberals until there is a firearm involved.

Having worked in gun shop I have seen such. One early November evening when it was cold and blustery outside a customer came into the store in a short sleeved shirt and a sleeveless sweater that was covered with dandruff. He was rumbled and unkempt and seemed very different to say the least. He wanted, he said, to buy the cheapest .410 shotgun that we had. I had bad vibes but the Supt. said go ahead have him fill out the 4433 form. On the line where it asks if you have ever been adjudicated he answered yes. No sale! Close one! The signs were there and I recognized them right away. Thank God I did! I would not have sold him the gun, if the supv. wanted to then it was on his shoulders, not mine. He said later that he wanted the 4433 filled out for security to check. The police came and took him away. Later we learned that the customer was out of it and was contemplating suicide.

The solution is simple. If 10% of the suicides happen within one week of the gun purchase they should just have an 8 day waiting period for gun purchases. Now why didn't they think of that. Oh, and while we're at it. The other 90% of suicides involving a gun were apparently with guns that were purchased more than 1 week prior to the suicide. Simple solution there too. We're going to have to take all of your guns. You simply can't be trusted.

Attention moonbats! Don't worry about how people kill themselves. Worry about why. Maybe if you leave them alone, let them keep the money they earn and let them live their own lives they'll be happy.

Unless the customer is throwing some obvious "there's somethign wrong with this guy" flags, it will be impossible to make any determination at the time of purchase.

"Would you like to purchase a couple of boxes of ammunition along with that shotgun, sir" ?

"No thanks. I don't think I'll be needing that much". "How much would it be for just one shell"?

A couple people have rented guns at indoor ranges and taken themselves out right on the shooting line. That is why the Boston Gun Range was shut down in Worcester.

My 99¢ question is: isn't eating healthy, exercising, and doing everything in moderation, just a form of suicide by old age?

I know there are towns in MA that require a letter from your doctor. Imagine the lawsuit that would ensue after such an event? Has it even happened in MA?? Is this CYA BS?

I really dont see how a firearm store can prevent a suicide. Unless the customer is throwing some obvious "there's somethign wrong with this guy" flags, it will be impossible to make any determination at the time of purchase.

Duh... make the customers sign a form saying they are not suicidal!

Jeez... it's not rocket science...

:)

Let them get a gun and off themselves at home. It's better that they do that than to land on a car jumping from an overpass or having a kid find their bloated bodies on shore somewhere.

And the s*%t stain known as Massachusetts creeps a little further North...

You guys should send some strongly worded letters

Duh... make the customers sign a form saying they are not suicidal!

Jeez... it's not rocket science...

:)
If we've learned anything from MA, we just need to write a law saying that suicidal people cannot commit suicide...

It will slot right in there with the SJC decision that people who rape 7yo's have more right to due process than gun owners...

Once again.....the state thinking they hold a higher claim on people's lives than the people themselves.

People who run for public office should have to undergo 90 days of observation in a mental facility before they can even begin the election process. Per group capita, there are more mentally unstable politicians than unstable gun owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a blatant attempt to implement a waiting period in NH.

Beyond that, there's nothing a gun shop owner can do with respect to suicide.

Typical liberal BS...attack 10% of the problem, rather than the root causes. What if 10 or 20 percent take sleeping pills, do we outlaw pharmaceuticals?

Last edited:
Maybe someday we'll all have to sit down with the store 'shrink and look at some ink blots before we buy a gun.

Having lost my father to suicide last year, this makes me want to puke.

It makes me sad to hear of people wanting to end their lives. All of these people need psychological help desperately, but even that doesn't help all the time. My father was seeing multiple doctors for two years, and at one time was admitted into a very well known help center. The bottom line was that his depression took over his body.

I won't get into the details on how I found my father, but I will say he was determined to get the job done. If it wasn't the rope, it would have been the drugs, or the booze, or blades, bridge, gun, train, whatever. He wanted to end his life, and he made sure there was no return. My point is that, people use whatever tools they have. If they want to die, they will do it one way or the other.

------------------------------------------------------------
RIP Dad, I always have and always will love you.

Does someone imply that they would prefer to see these people jumping off a tall building? Could be hazardous to people below!

Back
Top Bottom