Gun Shop Life

Question for those in NH- is there something going on with NICS checks or whatever NH runs? I’ve seen a couple transactions at Shooters outpost where the buyer did not walk out with their gun. What am I missing?
NH state police is the POC for handgun and “other" purchases, while long arms go directly through NICS. Both have been slow since March:
eagletribune said:
Last week Brian Barry, owner of Next Level Firearms in Salem, saw the typical 15- to 20-minute process to background check for a handgun purchase take anywhere from five hours to the next day, he said.

The federal background check needed for a long gun purchase typically takes a minute or two. Last week it was taking about six hours and by Friday evening the system was "overwhelmed and not working" after the close of business
This seems to suggest that the state police (for pistols) were returning answers faster than the regular NICS service (for long arms)?

The gun sales I noticed were handguns. So maybe the state system is drowning. What a pain in the ass.

I generally buy used guns. Seldom do I walk into a an FFL with an idea as to what I will buy unless it is a new gun that I wanted. I frequently purchase a weapon impulsively if the price is right and the condition is good. I improve my collection value by my impulse buys.
Impulse gun purchases are the only kind I make.

Wander around gun shops in a semi consistent rotation and you’ll find all sorts of treasures lurking behind the piles of crap.

Question for those in NH- is there something going on with NICS checks or whatever NH runs? I’ve seen a couple transactions at Shooters outpost where the buyer did not walk out with their gun. What am I missing?
Same here. I usually buy the stuff the guy behind the counter has no idea what they have.
There's nothing new on the market I want.

Gotta read some Stephen Hunter books now ;)
Thanks. Will look into them. I’ve wanted one for a really long time. This one fell into my lap.
I’ve known about them for a long time and a former pistol teammate let me shoot his with very soft reloads. I was still in love.
Sadly this had a rust snot blob and scratches on a really nice old school (5 digits) blue gun so going stupid new school was ok to me. I normally would not have even thought of doing it.

I’m sort of excited to tell the truth. I have no idea what the shop did. I told him to just do something. 😂
Ya. I’m serious.

yeah, like @Greg, i know exactly what i want when i walk into a shop. but unlike him, i have impulse bought a couple of guns in my time on earth.

i usually want to get in and get out, no chit chat with the help and do a giant eye roll when the salesman wants to read the safety brochure to me word for word and asks me if i know how to use a trigger lock. well, sure! i know how to use a key.

but if i were making a gun shop a destination place i guess i'd want to spend the day there.
The reading of the safety brochure reminds of the time i bought my third Harley. The shop gopher rolled it out to the curb and handed me the key. I said thanks and see ya. The guy quickly stopped me and said I had to wait for the salesman to come out and explain the bike to me. I said oh ok..as soon as he walked in the door I turned it over and drove away. The get in and out no chit chat rule applies to every establishment i go into.

yeah, like @Greg, i know exactly what i want when i walk into a shop. but unlike him, i have impulse bought a couple of guns in my time on earth.

i usually want to get in and get out, no chit chat with the help and do a giant eye roll when the salesman wants to read the safety brochure to me word for word and asks me if i know how to use a trigger lock. well, sure! i know how to use a key.

but if i were making a gun shop a destination place i guess i'd want to spend the day there.
That's when you say "if the gun goes "click", is it safe to look down the barrel without dropping the clip?" ... make sure you already paid for the gun and are holding it before saying that.

JK, don't say that (in case there is a noob reading this)

I generally try my best to keep my mouth shut in gun stores.

For one, I don't want to be "that guy" piping in with his opinion either making someone's ill-advised-uniformed-decision more difficult or prolonging the suffering of the dude working behind the counter that just wants the person to make up their mind stop fingerbanging every single gun in the case before they go home empty handed or buys the .380 Shield.

Also there is no arguing with people whose gun/legal knowledge is derived from their brother/friend who was "in the army" or "is a cop", or the gun store employees who are happy spout bullshit or half-truths to make a sale.
It's not fun telling people they are idiots or liars, especially when you are next in line and just want to get out of there.

My only unsolicited comment is usually "that's a good gun" if someone has or is about to make a good decision.

Last edited:
*Raising hand slowly*...I was one of those, no Father, uncle, brother or friend to guide me. Been told all my life how dangerous they were. Looked at every gun in the glass case pretty much. Thought 200 rounds and a box of hollow points was all I would every need. So I’m a man of the people and feel their pain.

3 years later I’ve converted 6 folks to the cause, helped 2 of them buy their first gun and working on 7 and 8....so the more of those lost sheep in the gun store we help the better in my opinion.

good for you! We were ALL new once.

I generally try my best to keep my mouth shut in gun stores.

For one, I don't want to be "that guy" piping in with his opinion either making someone's ill-advised-uniformed-decision more difficult or prolonging the suffering of the dude working behind the counter that just wants the person to make up their mind stop fingerbanging every single gun in the case before they go home empty handed or buys the .380 Shield.

Also there is no arguing with people whose gun/legal knowledge is derived from their brother/friend who was "in the army" or "is a cop", or the gun store employees who are happy spout bullshit or half-truths to make a sale.
It's not fun telling people they are idiots or liars, especially when you are next in line and just want to get out of there.

My only unsolicited comment is usually "that's a good gun" if someone has or is about to make a good decision.
I heard one moron behind the counter of a gun shop here in MA call the .243 a "pussy's rifle" Jill and I both laughed. When someone else asked us what was so funny, Jill explained that the three bucks that she shot with her father's Savage .243 rifle dropped dead instantly, no tracking required!

Impulse buys have been my best purchases. Most everything new worth buying is illegal in MA. Hunting for impulse buys is half the fun.
k1a1
Veper 12
Etc...

I can't believe anyone buys guns from anywhere other then Littleton anymore. Its like a mall from the 1980s. 60 different stores under 1 roof. I made my monthly visit last week and saw my crack dealer there after a few text messages making sure he had (the good shit). After 15 mins I walked out a happy customer.

Conventional MA gun stores are for rookies

Last edited:
Fudds - that's who they are. Who do they really think they are going to shoot anyway?

These long lines you talk of - must be an inside 495 thing - because out here - its not an issue at all...

I've been fascinated by a 38Super for a little while. Back when I thought they were stupid I saw TONS of them. No idea if they were "steals" at the time, but I recall seeing them often at gun shows.

I don't reload anymore, so buying one isn't that practical. Although how many rounds would I put down it anyhow. And if we're going that route, what's the point if I'm just gonna stick it in a safe anyhow??? I need LESS guns, not more, dammit!

Hunter is really good at knowing his guns in his books. A bit odd at times with his choices, but no semi-auto revolvers like in the Bourne books or James Bond swapping from a 25ACP to a 32ACP because it's a man-stopper. LOL

Just before the gun shops shut down in MA I brought a relative who had an LTC for years but never got around to buying a gun.
His only requirement was to leave with a gun, which he did. There was very little to choose from, and it wasn’t one of the top five on his list, but he slept better that night. After just a couple of trips to the range he is capable of reliably hitting a popper at 30’.
When the feeding gr Enzo is going on, people just want a gun. They don’t want to leave without one so they choose from what’s available.

Man, there should be some rippin' deals on used guns in about six months or so. Especially if Biden gets in. :)

I would like to think so, but, no.

Assuming the protests all stop and everything goes back to rainbows and unicorns what makes you think the panic buying liberal crowd is going to be selling?

They will be turning them in a "buy backs" for a Starbucks card and the warm fuzzies of getting a dangerous weapon of war off the streets.

It doesn't matter that they lost several hundred dollars in the deal if it saves but one life.

The other option is that is sits in a shoe box with the unopened box of ammo until the grandkids are cleaning out the estate, all the while pushing for more gun control "as a gun owner"... then it gets turned in to the police.

I was watching and listening to all these people buying guns and the counter staff showing them how to use the guns ... most were buying their first handgun. It was interesting they would grab 38 special ammo put in on the counter wanting to buy a 9MM handgun thank god the guys at the counter aren't stupid.
Caliber is like octane or light bulb wattage, right?

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Welcome to the club party, pal!🤣🤣🤣🤣
FTFY.

I heard this in Bass Pro Hooksett today.

Guy, older NRA hat “If you have any semi-autos, hurry up and buy 10rd magazines now as Biden is going to sign an EO and make bigger illegal or you have to pay $200 tax and 10rd mags are going to way more expensive”

I interjected “Why would you listen? Why would you care what Biden says?”

If this is what large groups of people are thinking out there - it’s over.

Guy, older NRA hat “If you have any semi-autos, hurry up and buy 10rd magazines now as Biden is going to sign an EO and make bigger illegal or you have to pay $200 tax and 10rd mags are going to way more expensive”

Sheep are trained to comply .............. I'm no F****** Sheep

Totally agree. It's like these people are planning to comply with whatever the douche bag Bidet tells them to do.

Back
Top Bottom