• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Shop Life

I generally buy used guns. Seldom do I walk into a an FFL with an idea as to what I will buy unless it is a new gun that I wanted. I frequently purchase a weapon impulsively if the price is right and the condition is good. I improve my collection value by my impulse buys.

Same here. I enjoy walking into a gun store to see what is in the case or on the wall. Most times I have no inclination to buy anything but more often then not I’ll walk out with something that caught my eye and is a good deal. Doesn’t happen to often in Today’s environment though.

I guess I should have maybe prefaced with the fact that I like really nice guns that tend to cost over $1k, or say $500 for a hand gun..Now if I was into all the other "cheap shit" like milsurps and sub $300 guns I would probably have a metric shit ton of them by now lol
Wut ya do 4 work lol

I guess I should have maybe prefaced with the fact that I like really nice guns that tend to cost over $1k, or say $500 for a hand gun..Now if I was into all the other "cheap shit" like milsurps and sub $300 guns I would probably have a metric shit ton of them by now lol
Sometimes those sub 300 guns surprise you... I love caniks.

Meh, I just build everything I want at this point.

Seriously though, I usually go into a LGS knowing what I want and knowing more about the gun than the behind the counter Joe.
I hate that... like dude its your job...don't be a swamp donkey and try and upsell me some crap gun you know nothing about.

Agreed. I guess there are people who just don't have anyone to guide them but how do you not do the basic research on a purchase like this? Tactical Dynamics teaches a class just about what gun to buy, they let you shoot a whole bunch of popular models and learn the pros & cons of each - I presume they still teach it, saw the class once at Independent in Foxboro
The course is offered\sold as an add on during their basic LTC class. Probably available for a stand alone purchase. As a newbie, I found it outstanding. Educational and a great value. Benefited from a small group, 3 Instructors and 4 students. I shot about 25 to 30 different handguns. Repeating one's I liked. Settling on an Instructors EDC, as my favorite. But, also coming away with a pecking order of preferences\no interest.

Considering ammo, range, and gun rental costs this was an awesome value.

Later range trips, discussions, and research - including LEO friends, informed and led me to what I believe was an informed purchase.

I was one of those noobies 26 years ago. There was no internet for research, I was living in Albuquerque. I went into (what looked to me) a respectable looking mom and pop gunshop. The wife waited on me and steered me to my first three guns. I just listened to her because I knew nothing. I find out years later how lucky I was, she made really good recommendations for me. First 3 guns: S&W 637, Beretta 21A, and a Colt semi-auto 22 that looked like a 1911.

wow-look-out-we-got-badass-over-here.jpg

Do you only shoot name-brand match quality ammo through these firearms as well????

LOL. I'm just messing with you. Buy what you want. But don't limit yourself based on price. Unless you can't afford it. Those things you, by default, have to limit yourself based on price.

My first gun purchase was a 642. I saw it online at 4S’s so I took a ride out there with my brother. Second gun was my Beretta. Opinions on Beretta 92FS 9MM. I asked for opinions on this site. Boy did I get opinions. [rofl] The only time I took the LGS “clerks” advice I ended up with a gun I hated. I went in looking for a Sig P238 and this guy told me that single action was for girls. I walked out with a bodyguard .380. My daily carry now is a 938. Funny thing is I’ve never seen that clerk there again at the LGS. I recently walked a couple friends of mine through buying guns at that same store. He couldn’t believe how long it took, ended up driving me home and went back to pick his wife up and they still waited for the transaction. we got there when it first opened because I knew there was going to be a line. Cases were about bare, but they managed to get something. He loved my Seecamp and there was one in the case. Impulse I think. There was an M&P 9 a bodyguard and three lc9s’s. She got the Lc9s with my recommendation. They’re both happy and I’ve been walking them through at the range.*edit* I guess my first gun was the SR22 after reading the Beretta post.

Shit, half my collection is impulse buys, but I have gotten some really nice pieces for good prices that way! Best so far was a mint 945-1 for under $700 bucks.
I guess I could also say mine are impulse buys. A lot of people won’t try to seek out guns to shoot before they buy. I’m one of them.

Do you only shoot name-brand match quality ammo through these firearms as well????

LOL. I'm just messing with you. Buy what you want. But don't limit yourself based on price. Unless you can't afford it. Those things you, by default, have to limit yourself based on price.

The things i like just happen to be relatively expensive.

I learned to control my impulses a long time ago, I have never impluse bought a gun, a kot of thought goes into a gun before i purchase it. Cheap guns are most likely impulse buys.

I mean sure, I could have bought a FAL kit built on a Hesse receiver, or hobbled together by the monkeys at Century, but I opted for the better DSA version. I generally buy the best that I can afford when it comes to just about anything.

I learned to control my impulses a long time ago, I have never impluse bought a gun, a kot of thought goes into a gun before i purchase it. Cheap guns are most likely impulse buys.

I mean sure, I could have bought a FAL kit built on a Hesse receiver, or hobbled together by the monkeys at Century, but I opted for the better DSA version. I generally buy the best that I can afford when it comes to just about anything.

I plan out my impulse buys [laugh]

I generally agree with you, though. For example, I own two rifle scopes. Their combined new value is like $3200. I find that doing a gun up the way I want it is way more rewarding than say being part of the "new gun a month club."

That being said, I honestly don't care how other gun owners spend their money. If someone asks for advice, I'll say what I think. Otherwise, its none of my business. When I'm at a gun store, I'm there for business. If I see something I like, I'll usually ask to see it.

The one thing that does bother me are the guys who decide to have a full conversation with the owner about conspiracy theories as the owner's desperately trying to help five, six customers. A gun store isn't a social club. That's what gun clubs are for.

I agree with Greg that waiting and buying something that costs more because it's worth it is the better road to take including firearms. I try to buy the best I can and take care of it so it lasts. In a another hobby they call it quality over quantity that doesn't mean the most expensive 45 is the best either.

Funny - reading this I was expecting you to say you ended up with a 50.63 or even a G series, just shows everything is relative.

Funny - reading this I was expecting you to say you ended up with a 50.63 or even a G series, just shows everything is relative.

I wish I could afford almost $4k for a FN.

Back when I bough the DSA, it was the most money I ever spent on a weapon, $2.4k

Bought the best I could afford at the time though :)

Still have it

QjEIyU9.jpg

Last edited:
Whelp. I just did an impulse buy last night. Was perusing a gun case and saw an all steel LLama 1911 in 9mm for 3 Beans. Always wanted one of these. It was in good shape for a gun this old. Sooo it now has a new home.

Back
Top Bottom