• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun shop employee qualificationsto a shop

Knob Creek

NES Member
I know most shop employees have a grasp of things. But today I went into a shop on the south shore. Asked if they had any P220 Sigs. Guy said “you mean P320’s”. No I mean P 220’s. Guy says “No such thing”. I said “really? Guy says oh yeah you must be confused you mean P320. Woman checks Approved Gun list says no such gun. Ask her to check again, she says “ Oh wow they did make one”. Walked out in a hurry.

Last edited:
I was interested in a bayonet that I saw in a local shop. The guy asked me if I had a LTC. I said yeah, why? He said he'd need to see it before I could handle the bayonet. Just for kicks I handed him my Construction Supervisor's License which looks a hell of a lot like a LTC.
He took a quick glance at it and said I was all set. I thanked him and walked out without ever picking up the bayonet.

Can't imagine any counter help getting paid very little to be much help. Sadly I think shops are over joyed if the counter help can run the CC machine and NICS check with out bothering the owner.

I was at Dicks recently and the kid behind the counter sounded pretty knowledgeable about a few different rifles a guy was asking about. He was actually listening to the customer trying to help him too. Shocked I tell you!

I’m lucky to have a good relationship with a knowledgeable shop. My dad did business there before I did. They get most of my business. I will say that I’ve found other shops lack of knowledge or over confidence to work in my favor. An International Harvestor Garand for $600 few years ago is a good for instance. Some of the shops that specialize in modern stuff don’t realize what they are selling for wheelguns either. Running out immediately isn’t always the best thing.

I’m lucky to have a good relationship with a knowledgeable shop. My dad did business there before I did. They get most of my business. I will say that I’ve found other shops lack of knowledge or over confidence to work in my favor. An International Harvestor Garand for $600 few years ago is a good for instance. Some of the shops that specialize in modern stuff don’t realize what they are selling for wheelguns either. Running out immediately isn’t always the best thing.
This is true yet sometimes they just want stuff gone.
Do you know the history on that M1. My guess at 600 it was picked up by the shop on short money.

I was at Dicks recently and the kid behind the counter sounded pretty knowledgeable about a few different rifles a guy was asking about. He was actually listening to the customer trying to help him too. Shocked I tell you!
There is a young gent at Hanover location . been there a while he's pretty good and actual called me when they had some 300 in stock

This is true yet sometimes they just want stuff gone.
Do you know the history on that M1. My guess at 600 it was picked up by the shop on short money.

I always ask the history of military surplus firearm before I buy them always hoping for a neat story. Most of the time they come with nothing. This particular IH was traded for an M&P Sport along with some cash. The IH is no perfect specimen. Mostly all IH with an older orange cmp stock.

I use to go to this gun shop for years. I picked up a lot of guns from this shop. Then he sold shop I still shopped there until one day they was a gun there I wanted to look at there so I ask the manager if I can look at it. He told me I was from Massachusetts he can't show it to me I asked him way he said because a police man from Massachusetts said it was against the law. I told it wasn't he said it was. Now I go up the street for better staff and better deals. That was the best thing I ever did.

Sounds like most of y'all just frequent the wrong shops...

My local go-to shops (2 of them) have some of the most knowledgeable staff I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Both shop owners are super super helpful, and both know the law. Not like certain idiots. I've been too MANY shops and have yet to find another that rivals these 2 in my area. They also price everything accordingly, some things actually cheap as hell.

Not too surprising if you think about it. The key difference is that Dick's in all likelihood makes hiring decisions based upon the candidate's customer service skills. Once hired, Dick's can then teach them the product knowledge. Gun stores on the other hand tend to take the opposite approach in my view, and hire "gunnies" more often than not, with little or no consideration as to their customer service skills, or lack there of. Please note that I'm not knocking gun store employees that are knowledgeable about firearms and all the associated activities firearms are used for, but if they don't have the ability (personality) to connect with people, then they'll never build relationships needed to create and retain customers to sustain and/or grow the business.

If there is one thing I know for sure it is that I don't know enough about firearms to work at a gun store. But if I did, I would quickly find out who the most knowledgeable in the store are and ask a lot of questions.

I ignore most everything I hear from a gun shop employee. Occasionally I do find a good guy who knows his stuff and I enjoy talking to them.

So much BS out there. Fortunately I know enough to know BS when I hear it. And I tend to refuse help until I actually need it.

I went into one s#!t hole place long ago. (Old crusty) Guy had mostly antiques. Told him I was looking for something modern, got a earful of why I should buy a 1930's Colt revolver. Told him I prefer an Auto (specifically something like a SW 669/6906) got more crap and told me to come back when I got my license. I think I was 22 and had my LTC since I was 18, FID at 15. I said will do and walked out never to set foot there ever again.

This was ome old shop on a back road (maybe near or on Rt 85) in either Shrewsbury or Northboro.

Some other shops back in the day were hit or miss. I forgot another place that told a buddy not to carry anything smaller than a .44 mag... He walked...

If there is one thing I know for sure it is that I don't know enough about firearms to work at a gun store. But if I did, I would quickly find out who the most knowledgeable in the store are and ask a lot of questions.

yeah.. I'd love to work at a gun store.. but I know relatively little also (compared to some here).. I just think.. with all the different brands, models, variants, and calibers, most identified by a numerical model ID, and over 100 yrs of manufacturing... it would take me years to get familiar with all of them... I'm sure I couldn't meet expectations of some here.. makes me reconsider..

Me: "Looking for a Ruger SR45, in the black finish"

Shop Employee: "The black Ruger SR45 is illegal in Mass., but the two tone version is not"

Me: "Have a nice day"

I know most shop employees have a grasp of things. But today I went into a shop on the south shore. Asked if they had any P220 Sigs. Guy said “you mean P320’s”. No I mean P 220’s. Guy says “No such thing”. I said “really? Guy says oh yeah you must be confused you mean P320. Woman checks Approved Gun list says no such gun. Ask her to check again, she says “ Oh wow they did make one”. Walked out in a hurry.

An underling at a gun shop gave you bad advice? You don't say!!!!!!

What shop? I'll stop in and inquire about a P230.

Given the state of this industry it doesn't take much to know more than the average gun shop employee and also the average customer, particularly after 2013 when the "Mr. numb skullington" types started coming out to graze the shops....

-Mike

I'd like to work at a gunshop, like part time for fun or something I think. I have amazing customer service skills and have no problem admitting when I'm not familiar or knowledgeable about something. I think in any kind of sales, people want to be treated right, they want to feel like their business, time, and money are valuable and appreciated. That said, I can take a lot of crap from sales guys at a local shop, or any shop, but as soon as the guy/gal is rude, obviously ignorant or lying, that's when I'll cross the street, even if it costs more, to do business with a good shop I enjoy shopping at.

One store comes to mind, it was in Montville CT. These twat waffles would bemoan ANYTHING you asked about. If you ordered from them, they'd mark it way up for "paperwork costs" If they did have anything, it was so overpriced you could get it on gunbroker, have it shipped to that same store, pay the transfer, and still come ahead $30-$40. On top of crappy selection, ridiculous prices, and thicker than two short planks type staff, the owner was just such an a**h***, guy looked like he stepped in dog shit barefoot right before you walked in the door, just this scowl on his face.

I cant remember what it was over but I was in there giving them another shot, just browsing, and they had a Ruger 3 screw. I'm partial to the older Rugers, so I asked to see it. It was priced at some retardo level, like $900 or something. I politely asked if there was some reason the gun was priced as it was and Mr. bowl of sunshine appears from the back screaming about how they don't make em anymore and collectors bla bla bla. Sure, they don't make them anymore but they're hardly super expensive pieces. They draw a slight premium over others in similar condition. On top of that, it had been converted and didn't have the original parts!! lol. I pointed this out and Mr. Mensa started bloviating about how him and Bill used to party and he knows everything. I turn to leave with a slight chuckle and look over to the kid behind the counter who was now entertained by the dialogue between myself and Mr. Sour-ass, and ask him "Hey bro, you know of any good gun shops around here?" Then Mr. Awesome starts screaming at me to leave his shop, as I was leaving and he threw a rolled up tube of paper targets at me lol.

FS is hiring right now. Job description and qualifications are listed on their homepage.

I'd like to work at a gunshop, like part time for fun or something I think. I have amazing customer service skills and have no problem admitting when I'm not familiar or knowledgeable about something. I think in any kind of sales, people want to be treated right, they want to feel like their business, time, and money are valuable and appreciated. That said, I can take a lot of crap from sales guys at a local shop, or any shop, but as soon as the guy/gal is rude, obviously ignorant or lying, that's when I'll cross the street, even if it costs more, to do business with a good shop I enjoy shopping at.

One store comes to mind, it was in Montville CT. These twat waffles would bemoan ANYTHING you asked about. If you ordered from them, they'd mark it way up for "paperwork costs" If they did have anything, it was so overpriced you could get it on gunbroker, have it shipped to that same store, pay the transfer, and still come ahead $30-$40. On top of crappy selection, ridiculous prices, and thicker than two short planks type staff, the owner was just such an a**h***, guy looked like he stepped in dog shit barefoot right before you walked in the door, just this scowl on his face.

I cant remember what it was over but I was in there giving them another shot, just browsing, and they had a Ruger 3 screw. I'm partial to the older Rugers, so I asked to see it. It was priced at some retardo level, like $900 or something. I politely asked if there was some reason the gun was priced as it was and Mr. bowl of sunshine appears from the back screaming about how they don't make em anymore and collectors bla bla bla. Sure, they don't make them anymore but they're hardly super expensive pieces. They draw a slight premium over others in similar condition. On top of that, it had been converted and didn't have the original parts!! lol. I pointed this out and Mr. Mensa started bloviating about how him and Bill used to party and he knows everything. I turn to leave with a slight chuckle and look over to the kid behind the counter who was now entertained by the dialogue between myself and Mr. Sour-ass, and ask him "Hey bro, you know of any good gun shops around here?" Then Mr. Awesome starts screaming at me to leave his shop, as I was leaving and he threw a rolled up tube of paper targets at me lol.

Montville has something in its water supply.

I had a lady screaming at me in a store there one day this past summer telling me that she was going to Nevada and she was going to buy ARs at a gun show there because of the gun show loophole. She has a brother there and she knows how this works. And we're all retards who voted for Trump and we deserve to be shot. She also told me that she's an attorney from New York and she knew people.

I'm not quite sure what brought that entire tirade on but it was both entertaining and infuriating.

I ignore most everything I hear from a gun shop employee. Occasionally I do find a good guy who knows his stuff and I enjoy talking to them.

So much BS out there. Fortunately I know enough to know BS when I hear it. And I tend to refuse help until I actually need it.

I went into one s#!t hole place long ago. (Old crusty) Guy had mostly antiques. Told him I was looking for something modern, got a earful of why I should buy a 1930's Colt revolver. Told him I prefer an Auto (specifically something like a SW 669/6906) got more crap and told me to come back when I got my license. I think I was 22 and had my LTC since I was 18, FID at 15. I said will do and walked out never to set foot there ever again.

This was ome old shop on a back road (maybe near or on Rt 85) in either Shrewsbury or Northboro.

Some other shops back in the day were hit or miss. I forgot another place that told a buddy not to carry anything smaller than a .44 mag... He walked...

Was it close to the road in a sort-of half exposed basement? I think the house was green originally but it looked like a 100 year old paint job, not far from the Lew Hortons warehouse (at that time)?

Back
Top Bottom