Gun season opener weather forecast is shaping up to be insanely perfect.

I was blessed to see those does. They were certainly not moving at the sight of a human. If I didn’t use my eyes wisely I would have missed them. They were positioned for scouting. One was looking North, one West, and one South. East were the residential areas. Pretty cool.

Well. My season is probably over. We are at 25 inches of snow in my area. Im spending my hunting day shoveling and plowing raking roof. Got the plow truck stuck once already. What a disaster. They said 2-4 extra overnight. I didnt think they meant feet not inches.

Hopefully the deer in my area are fat as they probably wont be moving much and they will be stressed early.

Im not putting on snowshoes anymore to hunt. I feel bad for the herd already

Looks like any further hunting will be with the crossbow or bow in CT.

Well. My season is probably over. We are at 25 inches of snow in my area. Im spending my hunting day shoveling and plowing raking roof. Got the plow truck stuck once already. What a disaster. They said 2-4 extra overnight. I didnt think they meant feet not inches.

Hopefully the deer in my area are fat as they probably wont be moving much and they will be stressed early.

Im not putting on snowshoes anymore to hunt. I feel bad for the herd already

Looks like any further hunting will be with the crossbow or bow in CT.

I don't think we've got that much total snow here but we picked up another 6" or so last night, and it's over my Muck boots now. I'm thinking I'll try the snowshoes to get where I need to be, and see how they work out. Waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in before attempting another solo deer drive...

I don't think we've got that much total snow here but we picked up another 6" or so last night, and it's over my Muck boots now. I'm thinking I'll try the snowshoes to get where I need to be, and see how they work out. Waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in before attempting another solo deer drive...
I'd recommend a double dose of ibuprofen before ....and after a trek in snowshoes if it's any real distance. I spend alot of time wearing them during snow shoe hare hunts in February and my hip flexors ache like a mother f***er after

I have a pair of MSR’s I bought last year and never got to use them do to such a low volume of snow. Now’s the time to test ‘em out.

Last edited:
8 hours plowing and was on the fence for a nap or heading out behind the house where my stand is, decided it was too late to nap at 230, so started getting dressed when i heard, bang - bang with a 30 second pause. figured i was too late, but headed out the door to at least see if the hunter was successful. took 3 shells and the single shot, walked to the back of my property (40 yards from the door) and after scanning for any sign of orange, saw a lone doe, in a clearing, less then 40 yards, looking deeper in the woods, dropped her with one shot, and had her home, dressed and hung in the barn 20 minutes later, it is NEVER this easy for me, but yesterday i got really lucky...

8 hours plowing and was on the fence for a nap or heading out behind the house where my stand is, decided it was too late to nap at 230, so started getting dressed when i heard, bang - bang with a 30 second pause. figured i was too late, but headed out the door to at least see if the hunter was successful. took 3 shells and the single shot, walked to the back of my property (40 yards from the door) and after scanning for any sign of orange, saw a lone doe, in a clearing, less then 40 yards, looking deeper in the woods, dropped her with one shot, and had her home, dressed and hung in the barn 20 minutes later, it is NEVER this easy for me, but yesterday i got really lucky...
Had permission from a work acquaintance years ago to hunt his "back 40" on his small family farm. He was an older gentlemen. His only rule......call the house from your cell phone before you walk out......and always walk out toward the house. Lol

He would get his shotgun and vest on and head out and wait......he shot a few deer using that one rule 🤣

22” on the ground here in Warren trudging Thur the back yard to rack the roof and slide with the kids was a chore. Probably going to wait till Saturday to get out there.
Hopefully it doesn’t get crunchy.

My first day sucked ass. Spent 3 hours pulling a truck out of a ditch for another hunter. Was exhausted by the time that was over.

4x4 is no use if

1. Your tires are "street tires"
2. You haven't engaged your 4x4 in 3 years.

4x4 is a use it or lose it thing. My owners manual states that the truck should be driven in 4 high for 10 miles a month and the 4 low and rear diff lock should be engaged and disengaged once a month. I do this process religiously and my 4 high, 4 low, and diff lock engage and disengage with ease when I need it. My truck has over 100k on it. Yesterday......I needed it! My Tacoma off road pulled like a champ getting a 3/4 ton Chevy out but it took some time. The guy I pulled out had street tires and a 4x4 that would not engage.

After getting the guy out we lost the whole morning. Pushed a few sections that had plenty of fresh tracks but no deer. Did a 2 hour sit in a section of woods that gets zero pressure (pretty secluded and tough to get into) at the end of the day but nothing.

Plenty of season left but yesterday was a total loss.

it is going to be much harder to get around in the woods out here with 20” of snow on the ground.

It‘s hard to beat those “tacos” if you don’t need a full size truck for towing. A read diff lock makes a big difference off road or in snow.

Bob

it is going to be much harder to get around in the woods out here with 20” of snow on the ground.

It‘s hard to beat those “tacos” if you don’t need a full size truck for towing. A read diff lock makes a big difference off road or in snow.

Bob
Rear diff was put to heavy use yesterday.

Rear diff was put to heavy use yesterday.
If I dont move south my next plow truck will have the rear diff lock for sure.
They are pretty standard in most of the work trucks ive been looking at. I just do my driveway, but deep snow its easy to get into trouble.

With old piles of snow you can usually blade your way out because you can push against something solid. But this is all new fresh shit and its a pain

OK....here we go....my general paint with a broad brush feeling about shotgun hunters again rears its ugly head. I've bowhunted this piece without intrusion for years and never have seen anyone...nor should I. Now in first day of shotgun...of course I have an issue.

At 930 some clown comes walking in here...in my tracks. Right to my stand. I'm on posted private land where I'm the only one with permission. He sees me in the the tree at 20 yards and turns to leave. Now I have to yell at him to stay right there.

I get down, and ask him why he's following my tracks to my stand, and does he have permission from Mr.X? He says he didn't see the obvious posters, does not know Mr X, but saw my car parked and assumed he could hunt. He said he followed me because he wanted to know where I was so he could spread out. Yeah....OK.

This is where I got mad.

OK.....You have two options.....you let me take a photo of your license on my phone and nothing will happen, as long as I never see your face in here again. Mr. X has given me exclusive permission and I've worked for it over the years helping him out. You do not belong in here.

If you don't let me take the photo I call the warden, I follow you out, get a full description of your vehicle, let Mr. X know and he will follow up with the warden with a trespassing charge.

He picked the photo......and I then told him.....you see that stand there, if that happens to disappear, get wrecked, or have a paint chip flake off, guess who I'm going to see. Thanks for fxcking up my hunt. Goodbye and leave. Guy stomps out of there without a word.

Well there's my opening morning.

I'm going to dry off, have lunch, then probably go track at my club, and if nothing sit some very heavy oak acorn crop for the afternoon.

The guy was on his way to hunt your stand..

Back
Top Bottom