Gun Scrubber vs. BreakFree Powder Blast

I have had bad results with both of the products in the thread's title, including damage to the polymer parts of a Marlin 795. As cleaners, they don't work well - flash off too fast and don't soften the soot adequately.

i find it mindblowing that people continue to use these toxic lipophilic chemicals to clean their firearms. some of them will weaken polymers. no thanks. since my first purchase of ballistol approx a decade ago I have never needed another gun cleaner again.

i find it mindblowing that people continue to use these toxic lipophilic chemicals to clean their firearms. some of them will weaken polymers. no thanks. since my first purchase of ballistol approx a decade ago I have never needed another gun cleaner again.

Love ballistol but it smokes like a bastard.

Because people assume that anything old school or toxic will work better than the newer non-toxic stuff which, other than really heavy duty bore cleaner, isn't the case anymore.

Same thing with leaded primers and non-enclosed base bullets, if it weren't for the cost (manufacturers need to stop gouging when the cost difference is so minimal for the extra material at the base and the primer chemicals aren't really any different in cost), now that the shelf life isn't any issue anymore.

Why expose yourself to any more toxic crap than you have to when the alternative works just as good if not better?

Because of the f***ing Ruger MKII/III "designed by f***head who obviously never had to take them apart" .22 LR pistols.

That's literally the only reason I ever used gun scrubber. Take the plastic parts off, douse the shit out of those things, relube...

-Mike

Because people assume that anything old school or toxic will work better than the newer non-toxic stuff which, other than really heavy duty bore cleaner, isn't the case anymore.

So there's non toxic bore cleaner that works as quickly as Hoppes does? Maybe ballistol, but that probably still has carcinogens in it, too.

Same thing with leaded primers and non-enclosed base bullets, if it weren't for the cost (manufacturers need to stop gouging when the cost difference is so minimal for the extra material at the base and the primer chemicals aren't really any different in cost), now that the shelf life isn't any issue anymore.

Why expose yourself to any more toxic crap than you have to when the alternative works just as good if not better?

I never heard that they resolved the shelf life issue WRT unleaded primers.

Also if you shoot outdoors, or indoors on a decent range (not the skinflint fudd shithouses with 900 restrictions that pass for indoor ranges at many MA gun clubs) ....most of this doesn't really matter much.

Also theres a huge difference between plated vs FMJ vs FMJ enclosed base in terms of what the bullets do and how much they cost, even in bulk.

You can buy all of the fancy no-tox stuff you want, it's just that you will be expected to pay for it, because nobody else cares. The only situatons where I would
want to use it are where it's mandated (like Sig's range) or in some facility that I probably shouldn't be shooting in anyways. [laugh]

-Mike

So there's non toxic bore cleaner that works as quickly as Hoppes does? Maybe ballistol, but that probably still has carcinogens in it, too.

I never heard that they resolved the shelf life issue WRT unleaded primers.

Also if you shoot outdoors, or indoors on a decent range (not the skinflint fudd shithouses with 900 restrictions that pass for indoor ranges at many MA gun clubs) ....most of this doesn't really matter much.

Also theres a huge difference between plated vs FMJ vs FMJ enclosed base in terms of what the bullets do and how much they cost, even in bulk.

You can buy all of the fancy no-tox stuff you want, it's just that you will be expected to pay for it, because nobody else cares. The only situatons where I would
want to use it are where it's mandated (like Sig's range) or in some facility that I probably shouldn't be shooting in anyways. [laugh]

-Mike

If you look at my post I specifically called out bore cleaner as the one thing that isn't equal in a non-toxic blend.

As far as ammo, there are inexpensive ways to coat or plate bullets that don't cost anything extra. Look at the nylon/poylmer coated bulllets, should be waaaay cheaper than copper but they get marked up as a premium.

There are shelf stable primers now thanks to pallets of taxpayer funded research for .gov/.mil contracts. The only reason why lead primers haven't gone the way of lead tetraethyl in gasoline is institutional inertia at the various manufacturers. They aren't going to change their production lines over to new chemicals until the investment required to do so is picked up by the market. The manufacturers doing it now are doing so on piggybacking on .gov/.mil contract requirements.

I use GS and I dont have any issues. I use it on my glocks. and no problems. I dont let it sit long, and them I use clp to wipe everything down.

I buy gun scrubber 6 cans at a time, has been years since I thought about it and tested it but Ive noticed absolutely no issues with plastic guns and plastic parts, however I use it primarily as a way to remove other oils and cleaners, or to blast out hard to reach places, and not as something I let puddle up in say the reciever of my M&P 15-22...

WD40/generics does ok too for safer general cleaning I guess but I dont like leaving the film all over non moving parts that takes on powder later..

Im kinda amazed GS would damage plastics used in actual gun parts or that you'd build something like a receiver out of plastics that are harmed by such solvents - Even acetone can come in plastic containers now, plastic carburetors, fuel injectors etc etc.. a rubber grip I could see or some other thick caustic substance left for a long time..

Btw on simple green, I would not put that stuff anywhere near a gun - eats coatings like chrome away.

GS may be sold as a general cleaner, but it's really a degreaser that happens to "clean" when the crud comes off with the oils. I use it for that only and no worries. I mean, it's brake cleaner.

Simple Green.
I was using regular simple green but switched to the HD version. Apparently regular simple green is rough on aluminum alloys, HD is not. This stuff works great and won’t ruin your gun or optics.
2100000113421.jpg

Simple Green® Pro HD Heavy-Duty Cleaner
Simple Green Pro HD Heavy-Duty Cleaner is a professional grade cleaner and degreaser that breaks down grease and removes stains on a wide variety of surfaces including engines, car exteriors, machinery, floors, walls and more.

• Professional grade concentrated cleaner and degreaser
  • Breaks down tough grease, eliminates grime and removes stains
  • Cleans engines, car exteriors, machinery and more

I love gun scrubber. I use it to blast out the internals on my Ruger MKIII along with my CZ's. I do however, make sure to spray the internals generously with Hornady one shot cleaner dry lube.

If you look at my post I specifically called out bore cleaner as the one thing that isn't equal in a non-toxic blend.

You said "heavy duty bore cleaner. " In my mind GS, Hoppes etc are anything but heavy duty. Then again its a matter of perspective. Stuff like "Sweets 7.62" or other "stuff you can't leave on for long periods of time" tends to redefine that category. [laugh]

As far as ammo, there are inexpensive ways to coat or plate bullets that don't cost anything extra. Look at the nylon/poylmer coated bulllets, should be waaaay cheaper than copper but they get marked up as a premium.

Yeah and if ATK is the only one doing that for commercial ammunition, have fun with the patents etc on that. Of course coating a bullet itself isn't some kind of
IP controlled process but still...

There are shelf stable primers now thanks to pallets of taxpayer funded research for .gov/.mil contracts. The only reason why lead primers haven't gone the way of lead tetraethyl in gasoline is institutional inertia at the various manufacturers.

Are they actually the same price though? Remember that .gov doesn't give a shit if something costs a little more, they just pay it at least to a certain point.

They aren't going to change their production lines over to new chemicals until the investment required to do so is picked up by the market. The manufacturers doing it now are doing so on piggybacking on .gov/.mil contract requirements.

If there's a price difference of even a few cents per round that likely isn't going to happen anytime soon.

-Mike

Simple Green and a dunk in my ultrasonic cleaner with a couple of drops of dishwasher detergent does it for me. I'm in the basement with no ventilation and know how to read a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)

Mpro7 cleaner

This stuff works great for a notox cleaner, if one lets it sit and let it marinate for a few minutes. I find the slip2000 folks make one that is very similar. I just wish this stuff wasnt quite so expensive, although looking online its much cheaper than typical gun store price, by over 10 bucks less for a big spray bottle...

-Mike

Simple Green and a dunk in my ultrasonic cleaner with a couple of drops of dishwasher detergent does it for me. I'm in the basement with no ventilation and know how to read a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
Yep. If I'm doing more than just a couple quick bursts of GS, I'll blast that crap outside - even during the winter.

Back
Top Bottom