• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun sales in the Commonwealth.....

I was in FS saturday, and it was absolutely Jammed. )
Hey ! what time ? Yeah, it was a madhouse. I heard several of the salesman speaking of a "buying frenzy". I went in for a WASR, but they were sold out. Found a nice SAR-1 calling my name so I gave it a good home.

I was there from 2:00ish to almost 3:00. I was the really tall guy in the red shirt.

Hopefully I'll be back there Thursday evening to pick up my newest. [smile]

Busy Busy Busy

I was there Friday and it was busy then too, and not just from me taking up all the counter space with all the guns and misc stuff I bought.

I still have more on the list, but I had a budget that the Master Gunnery wife had pre-approved.....so we'll have to put some breathing room into the mix before I go and get new black rifle, FNFS2000, M1A... you know the good stuff.

Well we are using this as a "good excuse as any" to do some upgrading/purchases. Sue got an SKS and I am picking up a thompson and I want to get an AK of some type or I will buy a kit and build one myself.
and we still need at least 1 more ar15. (and a 1911 for Sue.

Well we are using this as a "good excuse as any" to do some upgrading/purchases. Sue got an SKS and I am picking up a thompson and I want to get an AK of some type or I will buy a kit and build one myself.
and we still need at least 1 more ar15. (and a 1911 for Sue.
We'll have to compare SKS's - I just brought mine down from Maine. Had to take the bayonet off [shocked] Can't have that down here in the PRM!.

We'll have to compare SKS's - I just brought mine down from Maine. Had to take the bayonet off [shocked] Can't have that down here in the PRM!.

Ann, this is only true some of the time. All/most of my SKS's have bayonets on them and they are perfectly legal (all are C&R). It is my understanding that the Norinco/Chinese SKS must remove the bayonet and this was Fed Law . . . not sure if it was part of the Sunset or another law or if it is still in effect. [I don't own a Chinese SKS, so no concern, but I do recall seeing one in a WA pawn shop (up near the BC/Canadian border) with the bayonet on it and thinking this was a Fed violation back in 2002.]

I'm not sure anyone knows what the law is on bayos. My 1967 Chinese (not Norinco) came with one and all the others I've seen for sale in a bunch of places have them.

I don't think I'd worry about it too much.

I think the big problem comes in when you remove the fixed magazine and change it to a removable one.

I've heard that this configuration change is not very good and that it causes a lot of feeding problems.

I've seen tons of Chinese SKS rifles for sale in gun shops and gun shows most with bayonets. Some Norincos were imported with the bayonet lugs ground off to comply with regulations. I think it depends on when they were imported. The models with detachable AK mags (SKS D or M) don't have bayonet lugs and the only models that do have both a factory folding bayonet and factory detachable high cap magazine feature are select fire models that the military used.
As far as putting a detachable magazine adapter on a standard SKS, some feed ok, most don't. Plus that part I know is illegal here in Mass. I leave all mine with standard factory magazine despite what people have to say about duck bill mags, Tapco mags, etc. I never understood the reasoning in putting an AK mag adapter on an SKS when with a little hunting you can still find the D and M models that were originally made to accept AK mags, and those work.

Last edited:
chinese sks+ bayonets- it is when it was imported that is the decieding issue if they can have one. The one we picked up for Sue had one still in place, and I am reasonably sure it is okay as it is the vintage that was allowed to have them . (the earlier imports. ) and it was the deciding factor on her wanting it.
I swear this particular one has never been fired, still had alot of cosmoline on/in it. (and the cosmo was still in the fireing pin channel! Yikes. )

For those with Chinese SKS's they where soaked in cosmoline and some of the firing pins where stuck causing slam fires and in at least 1 case a death.

I pulled the bolt and yanked the firing pin and sure enough it was full of drired cosmoline. (I did this before shooting it) So If you own on and the firing pin doesn't move freely PLEASE drift out the retaining pin and take out and clean the channel and firing pin. the one in question was able to move but not freely.

For those with Chinese SKS's they where soaked in cosmoline and some of the firing pins where stuck causing slam fires and in at least 1 case a death.

I pulled the bolt and yanked the firing pin and sure enough it was full of drired cosmoline. (I did this before shooting it) So If you own on and the firing pin doesn't move freely PLEASE drift out the retaining pin and take out and clean the channel and firing pin. the one in question was able to move but not freely.

This is one of the first things I tell people about when dealing with SKS rifles. I've gotten ones from gun shops that never had the bolts stripped and cleaned. I don't wanna drift too much off topic here but now that I think about it, I wonder if theres a way we can post a bolt tutorial, or even a link to surplusrifle.com's section on SKS bolts as a sticky on the top of the milsurp section.
I'd hate to see someone read posts on here about how great these rifles are, go out and buy one, shoot it w/out cleaning and get injured or worse. I'll type it up and snap a few pics if Derek or any of the mods want a detailed description rather than just a warning about the bolts and firing pins.

chinese sks+ bayonets- it is when it was imported that is the decieding issue if they can have one. The one we picked up for Sue had one still in place, and I am reasonably sure it is okay as it is the vintage that was allowed to have them . (the earlier imports. ) and it was the deciding factor on her wanting it.
I swear this particular one has never been fired, still had alot of cosmoline on/in it. (and the cosmo was still in the fireing pin channel! Yikes. )

Greg knows this about the SKS, it is same as yours, never been fired, full of cosmoline. He's planning on tearing it down this winter when he's laid off and clean it all up then.

Back
Top Bottom