• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun sales delayed due to computer glitch

Went to dicks at midnight with a couple buddies here in mass and they were telling us that NICS wasn't open till 6am after running all the paperwork. Everyone buying a firearm had all the paperwork filled out and their guns put aside with our names on them and told to come back after 6am. I'm not sure if that was their way of getting extra time without us hanging around or the truth, not that big of a deal tho went back and picked it up no problems he even let me carry my own ammo to the front haha

That is why I used to buy from places that used paper applications and a phone call. The phone calls on the busiest days were like 2 minutes and I have never had a computer check run less than 15 minutes.. Don't know it they use dial up or what.

From the article:

People who want to purchase guns must fill out and sign FBI paperwork first.

This isn't exactly correct, the 4473 form is from the ATF not the FBI, but we all know that the MSM never gets the facts straight on any gun related story.

We were unable to call NICS for several hours on Black Friday... We would get this message: "Due to unusually high call volume, your request cannot be processed at this time"...

[rofl]

retarded. its not like high volume was unexpected friday.

pretty gay a constitutional right can get hung up by a failed phone call. now thats freedom!

[rofl]

retarded. its not like high volume was unexpected friday.

pretty gay a constitutional right can get hung up by a failed phone call. now thats freedom!

You're not kidding... To add insult to injury, Massachusetts did not make MIRCS available until normal business on Friday, so anyone wanting to buy guns from midnight to 7 had to be turned away...With NICS, we ended up processing all paperwork and hoped the customer would come back to pay for their gun. Some customers even wanted to pay in advance, but we can't do that either... I'm unsure how many sales we lost, but it was quite a few.

Was not much different here. When i was at north shore they were not getting through due to all circuits being busy. They said it was like that all day. Not a big deal, they just called until they got through. I was there for close to an hour. We have to look on the bright side, that kind of gun buying volume is good if even 10% are first time buyers.

As ar as MIRCS. I had a time when buying and that was down. I was at Bobs and Jack pulled out a paper FA-10. Problem solved.

For you guys at dealers, why not try to use the E-FA-10?

JohnN makes a good point, why not do e-FA10 from dealer if MIRCS is unavailable? I'm sure that there is a "rule" against it, but screw them.

The objective of the 4473/NICS/MIRCS/FA-10 is to do what they can to discourage guns in private hands. It does a fair job of doing that, so their objective is met. They certainly are NOT customer-centric!

I ran into that problem, but it gave to time to suck down an large extra cheese and pepperoni pizza and the corresponding nap afterwards.

Bought a gun at Dicks in Dartmouth, MA. Got the transaction completed minutes before they announced the system was down and started issuing rain checks.

Leave it to the guberment to not plan for something like this. It's not like that have any previous experience to learn from with mass gun buying sparked by an anti-gun president being elected.... oh.... wait a minute...

I ran into this Friday afternoon, NICS system not MIRC's "Due to unusually high call volume, your request cannot be processed at this time"...Call back latter. I tried 5 times to get through over about 20 minutes and then I got through and had a 7 min. wait.

Was at North Shore Fri to pick up a pistol that I put on hold around 11 am and had no problems with NICS or MIRCS. Was in and out in 1/2 an hour.

We were unable to call NICS for several hours on Black Friday... We would get this message: "Due to unusually high call volume, your request cannot be processed at this time"...

My son got a delay in Alabama on Tuesday. That was on a phone call, not computer based check. He called the dealer on Friday and when the dealer called NICS, he was told that they weren't taking customer service calls until Monday. Apparently they were swamped with calls. He'll have to wait until Wednesday to get an automatic proceed.

It seems firearms are very popular gift items this year for some reason. ;)

Had to wait about 20 minutes at NSF on Friday because the system was down. When it came back up it said, 'further review' and Eddie had to stay on the line another five minutes with them before it was approved.

My son got a delay in Alabama on Tuesday. That was on a phone call, not computer based check. He called the dealer on Friday and when the dealer called NICS, he was told that they weren't taking customer service calls until Monday. Apparently they were swamped with calls. He'll have to wait until Wednesday to get an automatic proceed.

It seems firearms are very popular gift items this year for some reason. ;)

That does NOT comply with the Brady Law, but since when does gov't have to abide by any laws?

By rights, the dealer could have proceeded with no response from NICS on Friday or Saturday (don't know if 3 days includes/doesn't include date of sale) per Brady Law.

What a PITA. Glad I didn't go out to gun shops last week.

I only picked up a black powder rifle - no issues other than waiting for it to be pulled from stock.

Three days is three business days. So, if you exclude Tuesday, Thursday, and the weekend. It's Wednesday, Monday, and Tuesday. We wanted to take the shotgun out to the range since he's never fired one before, but he'll have plenty of friends down here that can help him with that.

It's really kind of gun owners Nirvana down here. Plenty of pawn shops and most of they sell guns, new and used.

Good thing I don't live here because I'd have a full gun safe and an empty bank account.

All the NICS folks were working their shifts at Walmart! [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom