• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GUN SAFES

WMD

I'm a newbie with kids (very curious ones) and I was looking to get a safe. What type do people usually have by the bed - i can't imagine that I'd be able to use a combination if I really needed a gun.

Will the biometric allow you to program multiple fingerprints for access? E.g. You and your spouse. So either would have access, if required.

Most of the biometric vaults I've seen do allow for multiple fingerprints to be registered.

Would kinda suck to do a Def Leppard lose your hand one day in a car accident and then have to access your guns in a hurry on the next.

WMD said:
I'm a newbie with kids (very curious ones) and I was looking to get a safe. What type do people usually have by the bed - i can't imagine that I'd be able to use a combination if I really needed a gun.

I went the cheap route - got a Sentry from Wally world for under the bed, $50 and it fits three guns. It's key-operated only, which means that you need to train yourself to grab the key and go. But there's no battery to fail at crucial moments, and it fits under the bed...

I'm partial to a non-electronic lock as well.

And you'd be suprised how fast that you get when using a combo.

After opening my safe over and over, I really don't pay attention to how I open it. I just get to my numbers, but the spins just seem to come now.

Still, I don't think that I can do it in the dark, but at least I'm not screwed if a battery goes...or the electronics failed.

I have a Gun Vault. I bought it because I have 2 young children. I chose this over a key accessed safe because I didn't want to take the risk of them or a friend finding the key. (of course I am educating them as well to reduce the curiosity factor) The gun vault offers very quick access...you can program any sequence you want. I change the batteries once a year and haven't had a problem.

senorFrog said:
Will the biometric allow you to program multiple fingerprints for access? E.g. You and your spouse. So either would have access, if required.

Yes, the biometric vault does allow for multiple prints. I had to laugh MB when I read your Def Leppard comment; I programmed a print from both hands to avoid such a scenario.

gun safes are a must! I bought a pistol pal. Steel, heavy coated drawer. 5 button combo lock and yes very fast after a bit of practice.

I keep mine on the nightstand.. No kids :p

Why don't you remove the magazine and place it under your matress and keep the gun on a nightstand ? Or just put everything under the matress.Quicker than trying to access a safe, and relatively safe from your kids.

Greg said:
I keep mine on the nightstand.. No kids :p

Why don't you remove the magazine and place it under your matress and keep the gun on a nightstand ? Or just put everything under the matress.Quicker than trying to access a safe, and relatively safe from your kids.

I think even without kids you're breaking the law. You should think about your financial liability if something were to happen.

The statement in BOLD just plain scares me.

senorFrog said:
Greg said:
I keep mine on the nightstand.. No kids :

I think even without kids you're breaking the law. Plus, you should think about your financial liability if something were to happen.

Your statement in BOLD just plain scares me.

+1

Back
Top Bottom