• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safes

A S&G combination lock can be had for about $100. If you buy one used, you may need a new dial shaft as this is cut to length during installation, and you will need a new spline key to complete the installation.

Avoid the S&G 6741. It has a wider tolerance (+/- 1.25 rather than +/- 0.5) on each digit and uses Zymac (a turd polishing name for a cheap zinc alloy) rather than brass wheels. The 6730 is the workhorse Group 2 S&G dial lock. The 6630 is the 2m version - a bit more complicated internally, and has the Group 2m rather than Group 2 rating. (Yeah, I know the S&G site says Group 2 for this lock, but it's 2m unless the rating was downgraded).

Just make sure your safe uses a retracting style bolt rather than a swing bolt before replacing it with one of these.

If you safe uses a swing bolt, Securam makes an interesting lock that combines electronic pushbutton access with a reundant dial mecanism. (Actually, I recognized the linguistinc goof In that sentence, because Securam still makes this lock no matter what kind of bolt your safe uses).

Always make sure your safe handle is turned all the way to the unlocked position (counter clockwise) so the locking mechanism will not rest against the bolt. The prevents "bolt side pressure" that causes additional strain on the motor that retracts the bolt.

Thanks for the info. I'll let him know as it's my bosses safe. I have a superior regal safe with no issues myself.

Also i didnt have to drill holes in mine they have a cord, usbs and recepticals in them.....maybe mine are newer or slightly different model

One of my safes has the panel on the inside with the outlet and the USB ports. That's the taller one of the two. By 1 inch? That save is 5yrso. Why the newer one of the two is an inch shorter in height 59 instead of 60 inches high is unknown. The shorter newer safe has no electrical panel inside. That safe is 4yo. More money removed from the unit. I had to drill a hole in the back for the power wire for my led lighting. I rigged both of them with led's. It's a huge difference. It's as bright as outside in there. Makes it a pleasure to open the safe and look around for what you need. No more squinting around.

I sure hope I don't develop any lock issues. Replacing the lock with a higher quality unit seems the best thing to do. Rob sounds like he knows his locks. If I ever have trouble I'll look you up.

I have a Champion Crown (21 years old), 7ga. The one design defect is the power cord hole is 1/2" above the base. If they had located this a few inches higher, the safe would be waterproof for minor floods up to the base of the door.

I have a Champion Crown (21 years old), 7ga. The one design defect is the power cord hole is 1/2" above the base. If they had located this a few inches higher, the safe would be waterproof for minor floods up to the base of the door.

OK so your safe is located in the basement then. Whats your address again?

[smile]

One of my safes has the panel on the inside with the outlet and the USB ports. That's the taller one of the two. By 1 inch? That save is 5yrso. Why the newer one of the two is an inch shorter in height 59 instead of 60 inches high is unknown. The shorter newer safe has no electrical panel inside. That safe is 4yo. More money removed from the unit. I had to drill a hole in the back for the power wire for my led lighting. I rigged both of them with led's. It's a huge difference. It's as bright as outside in there. Makes it a pleasure to open the safe and look around for what you need. No more squinting around.

I sure hope I don't develop any lock issues. Replacing the lock with a higher quality unit seems the best thing to do. Rob sounds like he knows his locks. If I ever have trouble I'll look you up.

Rob does know his locks, i may go dial or key if/when mine get replaced.

On my tl30x6, i was suprised that they didnt want to drill holes to bolt it down. Claiming once it weighted a ton (literally) most people dont bolt them down.... i think they may have been BSing me..
all i know was i made them honor the listed price of $25 to drill the holes. I had no interest in attempting to drill through it.

Back
Top Bottom