• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safes

I see a few of you like the electronic keypad safes. For some reason I'm weary of this type of system. I want a good old dial. It never runs out of power and has no software to be corrupted. Seems only the expensive safes actually utilize the old dial system.

For about $2 more than the cost of a gun sock, you can have a gun case that you can also use to take the gun to the range, stow it in your trunk, etc. Gun socks would protect the guns and take up less room in the safe, but then I'd need a closet to store all the gun cases. Go with whatever path works for you.

I use my guns, so they get carried to the range, cleaned and oiled fairly regularly. Mine is a teaching collection, so I need enough cases to take the whole pile to the range. Guys who only take a few of their guns to the range might be better served with gun socks and a few cases.

For long term storage and rust prevention, see the video here:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...iple-tough-premium-storage-bags-prod1154.aspx.
I'd do that if I had a gun I didn't plan to shoot, clean, and oil regularly.

Warning: Midway says that long-term storage in a case can lead to corrosion and damage the gun's finish. I imagine that happens when high humidity and temperature fluctuations lead to condensation. My guns are in a climate controlled space, and they're regularly cleaned and oiled, so I think I'm OK in this regard. But when Larry Potterfield says to watch out, I listen. YMMV.

I was using cases at one time. I had a rifle in a case and the case dried out fell apart and stuck to the rifle. It ruined the bluing and the stock. I had to completely refinish the rifle.

I see a few of you like the electronic keypad safes. For some reason I'm weary of this type of system. I want a good old dial. It never runs out of power and has no software to be corrupted. Seems only the expensive safes actually utilize the old dial system.

This issue comes up once and a while, 99.99 percent of us with electronic key pads never have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom